Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 20, 2014, 04:52:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329221 Posts in 13490 Topics by 2177 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Dragon Age 2
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 34 Print
Author Topic: Dragon Age 2  (Read 67274 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: February 23, 2011, 09:51:53 PM »

It's enjoyable, but I if we're gonna bitch at FFXIII for having linear paths through areas, I'd better hear bitching at this game for the same, unless it opens up later. It's virtually identical.

Developers have stated on Neogaf that is the case (opening up later). It was an opening area and a slice of a quest, I didn't imagine they'd be the most non-linear parts of the game.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 10:51:03 PM by Eusis » Logged
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: February 23, 2011, 10:23:56 PM »

I played the demo on PS3 and enjoyed it.  Honestly I think some people are really over-reacting...

I completely agree that removing auto-attack is stupid.  I really don't see the point.  The game plays exactly like a faster-paced DA:O (which is good)...except that whenever I'm not using a special ability I have to sit there mashing X.  It's just silly.  But I'd still rather have that than have the game go for the full-blown action RPG route.  I don't want Dragon Age to be an action RPG.  As long as I can micromanage in my pause menus I'm happy.

One major improvement for the console versions is that you can now order characters to move to specific locations (even if there is no enemy or object there) without having to take direct control of them.  Of course you could always do that on the PC, but it's something that was seriously missing from the console versions of DA:O.

I'm not sold on the new art style, but I don't think it's as bad as people are making it out to be.  I'll probably get used to it.  I do appreciate that the game runs better than DA:O did.

Is there actually a 'complete lack of control of the inventory' in the final game?  Sure you couldn't access it in the demo, but it's just a demo and the option was clearly present, just not accessible.  I'm pretty sure the real deal is going to have inventory management...

Oh yeah, and the writing is subpar.  I realize this is just a demo, but seriously.  In the opening segment, the templar bitch is all "RARRRRRRGH THAT ISN'T WHAT HAPPENED" because it was apparently such an unbelievable story, so dwarf dude who is really just a short fat human adds a few of Hawke's family members to the events and suddenly the story is believable.  lolwut

Uh...if you really think the presence of Hawke's family members was the only difference between the two stories then you clearly weren't paying attention.  One version has Hawke and his/her brother casually slaughtering hordes of darkspawn while exchanging witty banter and the other version has Hawke and his family desperately trying to escape with people getting killed.  Yeah, the overall structure is similar but the devil is in the details...

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: February 23, 2011, 10:35:04 PM »

Yeah and there were some bigger tits on the chick in the exaggerated version as well.  Not the point.

The second story was just as unbelievable from the perspective of someone who is trying to get information.  Dragons taking human form and asking favors from human beings isn't exactly an average day in Ferelden.
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: February 23, 2011, 11:01:43 PM »

I completely agree that removing auto-attack is stupid.  I really don't see the point.  The game plays exactly like a faster-paced DA:O (which is good)...except that whenever I'm not using a special ability I have to sit there mashing X.  It's just silly.  But I'd still rather have that than have the game go for the full-blown action RPG route.  I don't want Dragon Age to be an action RPG.  As long as I can micromanage in my pause menus I'm happy.

Auto-attack can be toggled on and off in the options menu, but only in the full game.

Is there actually a 'complete lack of control of the inventory' in the final game?  Sure you couldn't access it in the demo, but it's just a demo and the option was clearly present, just not accessible.  I'm pretty sure the real deal is going to have inventory management...

It'll still be there. Lots of stuff was locked, like most of the ability trees.

The second story was just as unbelievable from the perspective of someone who is trying to get information.  Dragons taking human form and asking favors from human beings isn't exactly an average day in Ferelden.

This is addressed in the cutscene afterwards. Cassandra doesn't seem to find that part very believable either.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 11:03:37 PM by DPB » Logged
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: February 23, 2011, 11:47:39 PM »

She also didn't have another hissy fit, with the implication that after questioning the second story at first, has decided to run with it.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 23, 2011, 11:49:33 PM »

If they use that as an actual opportunity to relay events that may not in fact be real it could be VERY fascinating, but I half expect it's nothing more than a framing device and excuse to show off late game abilities (or maybe just mid-game?)
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: February 24, 2011, 12:19:46 AM »

I played through the demo again and I may have jumped the gun on how much I liked it.  The combat now seems a tad too frantic with too many enemies coming at you constantly and it does kinda boil down to spamming special attacks too much and a lot of 'corridor' fighting with limited movement.  It just feels a bit too spazzy at times.  I'm sure I'll enjoy the final game as It IS just a demo that's only showing small portion of the game but it had a...and it hate to say it..."Dynasty Warriors" feel to it.  I dunno, it just didn't feel visceral. Too fast:/  Once again, just a few thoughts.  I have faith that it'll be a solid game upon release.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: February 24, 2011, 01:21:45 AM »

If things get to frantic then pause it...that's how you're suppose to play it.

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #173 on: February 24, 2011, 09:49:07 AM »

Honestly, I'm of the opinion that Bioware left pausing and other "strategic" options in the game just to please people who might be upset about the new direction. I didn't find that any strategy was necessary at all (in the demo, at least). I didn't pause, and basically just spammed through my skills then mashed the attack button until the cooldown wore off. That said, I did find the game pretty enjoyable, and the stats and inventory  (at least, the LOCKED screen) seems to show that there's a full suite of customization options that will be available in the full game. Pretty much, if the full game is like the demo, combat is mindless but mildly entertaining and not at all in the same vein as DAO.

Also, side note: Targeting is an absolute nightmare on consoles. Shuffling through 10+ targets was the only time I had to pause, and it was just so I could convince the game to target what I wanted it to.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 24, 2011, 11:03:05 AM »

Kind of ironic in that regard, since the whole intent was to be more console friendly.
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: February 24, 2011, 11:11:36 AM »

Honestly, I'm of the opinion that Bioware left pausing and other "strategic" options in the game just to please people who might be upset about the new direction. I didn't find that any strategy was necessary at all (in the demo, at least). I didn't pause, and basically just spammed through my skills then mashed the attack button until the cooldown wore off.

You could say the same for any of the Origins at the start of DAO though. The game was only difficult in the middle, the beginning was just as easy (and the end for that matter) and you were limited to a similarly small pool of abilites.

For what it's worth, Bioware have said that normal is meant to be easier, but the higher difficulties (especially nightmare) are supposed to be harder than DAO.

More information here.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 11:14:02 AM by DPB » Logged
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: February 24, 2011, 11:41:03 AM »

I played DA1 on normal and found it a decent challenge. If I didn't manage the battle shit went south. Hopefully the "hard" mode is more like that in 2. I don't want to play nightmare b/c I don't want to put up w/ friendly fire.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: February 24, 2011, 12:14:51 PM »

I was surprised that there wasn't any friendly fire in the demo.
To me, fireballing your entire party without any negative effect is just so wrong...

They really made sure the demo was do-able even for the dumbest people out there. Yet, the Bioware forum is full of people who said they died against the ogre.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 24, 2011, 12:20:31 PM »

It IS the time when the demo stops coddling. Each time I died I won in my second try, and the second time I was running through the demo potions weren't firing off for some reason.

... Shit like that makes it very tempting to wait. I can understand out of the way bugs or whatever, but if they actively pop up in the demo and can't be worked around, uhh...
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: February 24, 2011, 01:38:45 PM »

I played DA1 on normal and found it a decent challenge. If I didn't manage the battle shit went south. Hopefully the "hard" mode is more like that in 2. I don't want to play nightmare b/c I don't want to put up w/ friendly fire.
I started DA1 on normal, died a whole lot, then changed it to easy mode so I could actually play the game. By the end it was a bit too easy(even for me), but I don't regret it. If and when I get DA2, it's Easy mode all the way for me.
I like games that let you change the difficulty mid-game. I'd hate to have to start all the way over because I suck.
People who play games on the super hard difficulties baffle me. Buncha masochists.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 34 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: