Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 04:44:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341078 Posts in 13940 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Dragon Age 2
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 34 Print
Author Topic: Dragon Age 2  (Read 71794 times)
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: February 24, 2011, 02:27:44 PM »

It IS the time when the demo stops coddling. Each time I died I won in my second try, and the second time I was running through the demo potions weren't firing off for some reason.

I had the potion issue as well.  I didn't game over or anything, but my Carver kept getting himself killed by the Ogre, so I decided to control him.  Even when directly controlling him standing still, not getting hit, the like, the potions simply did not work.  It has nothing to do with the new timer, since it was up on each try. 

Hopefully this is fixed in the main-game.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: February 26, 2011, 04:53:30 PM »

I just finished dicking around with the demo, and I have to say I'm somewhat relieved.  I was expecting something drastically different, but the gameplay appears similar enough to DA:O to suit me just fine.  My only concern now is the narrative, because those little snippets of dialogue I just heard have me concerned.  It'd be a shame if they fuck up this Usual Suspects-style setup with some piss-poor combination of grimdark melodrama and a Whedonesque one-liner deluge, but that's exactly the vibe I get.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 26, 2011, 05:09:06 PM »

So apparently there was a Gamestar review of the game, two parts of which were reposted on Neogaf.

I ended up canceling my pre-order. Too much great stuff on portables as of late, and the PC demo kept giving me some stupid bug; even though playing as a Warrior was MUCH more enjoyable on PC versus console (probably partially because I stuck with a two handed sword) I for some reason was unable to individually target enemies in the Ogre battle, having to resort to pressing R and auto attacking the nearest... which was never the Ogre because of the hordes of mob trash that kept coming. Even if they iron out all these bugs for the final release it leaves a very poor impression.

And yeah, concerned about writing and blah blah blah.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: February 26, 2011, 09:03:31 PM »

Quote from: Eusis_link
Main Quest takes 12-15 hours, you can double that number "if you take your time and explore everything the game has to offer".

Jesus, DA:O took me something like 80 hours.  While there were a few spots in which it kind of dragged for the most part I felt that it made good use of that time.  This is a big shocker.

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #184 on: February 26, 2011, 09:04:30 PM »

I was pretty shocked by that myself. That's what such a short turn-around time will get us, I guess.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Draak

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: February 26, 2011, 09:49:10 PM »

http://i55.tinypic.com/25stp40.jpg

I would insert the image here, but it would break the forum layout.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: February 27, 2011, 12:43:41 AM »

I honestly think that would be better without the googly eye photoshop.  The content makes the point just fine...

Addendum:  If for some reason you haven't played Planescape: Torment then do not look at that picture.  There are actually some pretty hefty spoilers.  Instead, drop whatever you are doing and go play Planescape: Torment immediately.  Seriously.  It is the best RPG ever made.  There is certainly no modern game more worthy of your time.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 01:09:18 AM by Kevadu » Logged

DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: February 27, 2011, 06:54:28 AM »

PC Gamer UK's reviewer said it took him 50 hours and 40 minutes to do almost everything, excluding a couple of quests. A Swedish magazine took 48 hours.

That picture is hardly a very fair comparison. One is from the last conversations, the other from what is basically still the tutorial area.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 07:07:21 AM by DPB » Logged
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: February 27, 2011, 09:04:59 AM »

I honestly think that would be better without the googly eye photoshop.  The content makes the point just fine...

Addendum:  If for some reason you haven't played Planescape: Torment then do not look at that picture.  There are actually some pretty hefty spoilers.  Instead, drop whatever you are doing and go play Planescape: Torment immediately.  Seriously.  It is the best RPG ever made.  There is certainly no modern game more worthy of your time.

Arguable.

Fallout 2 would disagree but thats another discussion for another time

Love that picture by the way

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: February 27, 2011, 09:23:48 AM »

PC Gamer UK's reviewer said it took him 50 hours and 40 minutes to do almost everything, excluding a couple of quests. A Swedish magazine took 48 hours.

That picture is hardly a very fair comparison. One is from the last conversations, the other from what is basically still the tutorial area.
Fair and well-thought out opinions are not widely associated with the internet. Or people in general, really.

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: March 02, 2011, 10:59:27 AM »

Just played the demo. What the fuck was that?
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: March 03, 2011, 01:06:14 PM »

Read the preview on the main page. I love the digs at all the weenies cancelling their pre-orders in a fever of panic
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: March 03, 2011, 01:17:16 PM »

Read the preview on the main page. I love the digs at all the weenies cancelling their pre-orders in a fever of panic

Well, canceling and waiting for further reviews isn't that bad an idea. The game will still be available months after its launch.
That's the exact reason I didn't even pre-order it... I'm still not too sure myself.
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 03, 2011, 01:40:07 PM »

In all fairness, I really wasn't trying to start anything with our readers.  I've read the differing opinions, and I was just posting what I thought of the demo in a preview.  I really think the game plays a lot like Origins and I'm very much looking forward to the full game.  I'll reserve judgement until I play the complete release, however. 
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: March 03, 2011, 02:05:21 PM »

The demo was pure shit
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 34 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: