Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 08:52:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335250 Posts in 13726 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Dragon Age 2
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 34 Print
Author Topic: Dragon Age 2  (Read 69872 times)
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: March 06, 2011, 02:21:24 AM »

FYI - Dragon Age: Origins is severely dumbed down on consoles. It's much easier and less challenging/strategic than the PC version. DA:O is an example of a PC-first game. It easily controls like an RTS or old school team-based CRPG.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: March 06, 2011, 02:48:41 AM »

FYI - Dragon Age: Origins is severely dumbed down on consoles. It's much easier and less challenging/strategic than the PC version. DA:O is an example of a PC-first game. It easily controls like an RTS or old school team-based CRPG.

Did we play the same game?  Because everything is pretty much the same on consoles and PC.  The main difference being the top-down perspective.  Besides that, they played the same other than the obvious difference (and superior) in PC controls.

I actually found the PC version to be easier because you had a better vantage of things, while the console versions ended up having spiking difficulties.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 06, 2011, 02:50:46 AM »

Not necessarily true. The Witcher 2 will be out soon :)

It's the hope to have for a game that will try to push PCs more and offer the dark, mature story that Dragon Age had initially promised. Gameplay/presentation wise it may well be further along in "consolification" despite not even having a console version yet; it even supports the 360 controller, something no Bioware RPG except Jade Empire has (well, generic controller support, but still). Actually, I guess you could argue that The Witcher 2 may be the kind of game DA2 is trying to be.

I'm a little torn here. Some of the changes either don't bug me at all or could well be improvements, Bioware NEEDED to diversify their formula so even if this turns out to be a bad way to change it, it's something that was sorely needed nevertheless. Still, this reminds me of getting worried over changes in other series that sound like a bad idea, and usually they're fine in the end. Ah well, not like I'll get it right away anyway.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: March 06, 2011, 03:01:28 AM »

Did we play the same game?  Because everything is pretty much the same on consoles and PC.  The main difference being the top-down perspective.  Besides that, they played the same other than the obvious difference (and superior) in PC controls.

I actually found the PC version to be easier because you had a better vantage of things, while the console versions ended up having spiking difficulties.

I remember playing the console version on Normal and basically cruise controlling through the game. I'm replaying Origins now on Normal and some of the fights completely rape me. Hell don't some of the difficulties lack friendly fire on console? I know for a fact that there's less enemies on screen, you don't get megazerged by giant groups of enemies that stun the hell out of you and chain lighting/fireball you to death.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: March 06, 2011, 03:10:55 AM »

I remember playing the console version on Normal and basically cruise controlling through the game. I'm replaying Origins now on Normal and some of the fights completely rape me. Hell don't some of the difficulties lack friendly fire on console? I know for a fact that there's less enemies on screen, you don't get megazerged by giant groups of enemies that stun the hell out of you and chain lighting/fireball you to death.

You do get the megazerged, but it's harder to see it happening because of the perspective.  You only see about 1/3 of the enemies around you at a given time.
Actually, there's one dungeon (optional) that much, much harder in the console versions because of this: The warehouses in Denerim.  You can't see anything and, unless you know the enemies are there, you die in about 5 seconds.  Another example of "megazerg" on consoles is in the forest ruin-thing for the Elves.

And yeah, the lower difficulties on consoles don't have friendly fire.  I'm completely against them only putting it on Nightmare.  What were they thinking?  I admit that I don't want to play on Nightmare (Hard mode was generally "comfortable" for me in DA:O though I like Insanity in ME2) just to see my spells have an effect on my allies.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 06, 2011, 03:23:45 AM »

Well, ok, I really do think some of the choices are misguided, and that one reminds me of Bionic Commando: Rearmed disabling lives on every difficulty but hard. I figure that keeping Friendly Fire on Hard would be sufficient, people play that difficulty for a bit of an extra bite afterall.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: March 06, 2011, 03:27:28 AM »

You do get the megazerged, but it's harder to see it happening because of the perspective.  You only see about 1/3 of the enemies around you at a given time.
Actually, there's one dungeon (optional) that much, much harder in the console versions because of this: The warehouses in Denerim.  You can't see anything and, unless you know the enemies are there, you die in about 5 seconds.  Another example of "megazerg" on consoles is in the forest ruin-thing for the Elves.

And yeah, the lower difficulties on consoles don't have friendly fire.  I'm completely against them only putting it on Nightmare.  What were they thinking?  I admit that I don't want to play on Nightmare (Hard mode was generally "comfortable" for me in DA:O though I like Insanity in ME2) just to see my spells have an effect on my allies.

It's just generally a better game all around on the PC. The combat feels like a complicated RTS game.

Either way, there's no wool pulled over anyones eyes here. Dragon Age 2 feels more like an action-game compared to the calculated encounters of DA:O. It's a streamlined release  with a more simplified system to make more money.

Us old school RPG gamers are like old war veterans that everyone has forgotten about :(
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: March 06, 2011, 06:26:16 AM »

7. Ally Relations Are Improved
If you did things your allies didnít approve of in Origins, they didnít like you. That wouldnít be a big deal, except that cool companion missions werenít available unless your approval was high with the appropriate character. In Dragon Age II, you can do these missions regardless of whether your ally loves or hates you. Instead of gating story content, the approval system now bestows passive bonuses. If a party member is your friend, youíll get one kind of bonus. If that same character is a rival, youíll get a different one. This way, you get reward whether youíre nice or mean, plus you still get to do all of the quests. Being neutral, however, still has no advantages.

So apparently 'rival' just means they hate you?  When I first heard the rival system mentioned I thought it would be a little more nuisanced than that.  This sounds dumb.

I don't think Game Informer have explained this very well. According to Bioware's writers, rivalry/friendship isn't supposed to be hate/love, it's more 'disagree/agree with the issues that are key to them.' If they're rivals they still respect you, they just don't agree with your view on the world, and there's a different dialogue path that reflects this. If you're enough of a dick towards them it's still possible for some of them to leave, like Leliana would in DAO if you
Code:
destroyed the Sacred Ashes
, but that's separate from the rivalry/friendship meter.

I'd dig up a quote from the official forums but someone is spamming plot spoilers in thread titles. I'd advise anyone who frequents there to steer clear for awhile.

EDIT: Found the thread I was thinking of.

Does anyone know when the reviews will be posted?

There have been a few reviews already, in magazines.

PC Gamer UK 94
PC Games 88
Gamestar 87
PC Gamer Sweden 85
PSM3 90
Official Xbox Magazine 90

The big websites will probably have their reviews up sometime later today or tommorrow. I don't know about RPGFan, do they tend to get review copies?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 07:36:51 AM by DPB » Logged
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #218 on: March 06, 2011, 09:56:03 AM »

We'll have a review in (hopefully) a few days :)

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: March 06, 2011, 10:18:03 AM »

God by reading some of these posts people are acting like they took FFT and turned it into Diablo
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 10:23:06 AM by Yoda » Logged
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 06, 2011, 02:28:57 PM »

God by reading some of these posts people are acting like they took FFT and turned it into Diablo

It's happened before. Or perhaps you'd be interested in a more relevant example?

Not that I really think that's the case, though it sounds like some of those more action-y changes are pretty boneheaded given how it's not a very skill dependent game still. That, and I've heard auto attack is enabled on an enemy-by-enemy basis, which sounds stupid.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #221 on: March 06, 2011, 02:59:36 PM »

hopefully they streamline the game more for dragon age 3

i am thinking something like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcQ1QeSNTZg
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: March 06, 2011, 03:42:06 PM »

It's happened before. Or perhaps you'd be interested in a more relevant example?

Not that I really think that's the case, though it sounds like some of those more action-y changes are pretty boneheaded given how it's not a very skill dependent game still. That, and I've heard auto attack is enabled on an enemy-by-enemy basis, which sounds stupid.

While I might not agree with all the changes, part of me respects them for trying it a different way.

I think a good sequel should feel similar while braving new territory. As long as it's fun and has a good story and it is interesting enough for more than one playthrough I'll be fine with it.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 06, 2011, 04:04:55 PM »

It's easier to accept wild changes when there's more games of a certain type. As bad as the linearity and other changes were for FFXIII, at least there's comfort in the fact it's one of the only series that makes large changes to its gameplay from installment to installment still so the next game probably won't play like it anyway, and even if it did there's both spin-offs and more JRPG choices period to get a game more to your tastes. For Dragon Age though there really aren't many alternatives that aren't out and out action RPGs anyway, so that's another reason to be more weary about any changes.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #224 on: March 06, 2011, 04:23:19 PM »

I think it's more "if something isn't broken, why fix it".
Them changing the skill system is great, because that wasn't working. Most of the other stuff they changed was fine.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 34 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: