Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2014, 06:22:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338499 Posts in 13855 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Dragon Age 2
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 34 Print
Author Topic: Dragon Age 2  (Read 70840 times)
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #285 on: March 09, 2011, 01:22:36 PM »

I don't have it yet, but the recycled areas seem to be a consistent complaint. It really sounds like they could have used some more development time, which I suppose isn't all that surprising seeing how soon it came out after DAO.
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #286 on: March 09, 2011, 01:41:33 PM »

I'm not liking it so far.Few RPGs I hate and I'm trying not to hate Dragon Age 2.

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #287 on: March 09, 2011, 01:49:49 PM »

That's awful regarding the repeated environments.

Say what you want about the graphics in the 1st game but I feel that there was good variety in location.

Deep roads, the forests, the village haven and it's creepy church place, various towns like redcliff, circle tower.

I'll probably start playing DA2 this weekend. I preordered it and used my parents address for some reason
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #288 on: March 09, 2011, 01:54:09 PM »

I don't have it yet, but the recycled areas seem to be a consistent complaint. It really sounds like they could have used some more development time, which I suppose isn't all that surprising seeing how soon it came out after DAO.

Agreed, give it another year in development time and it would have probably spiked up in average review score by 3-5 points.  
Of course, one can argue how cost-effective that is on Bioware/EA's part.  An extra year or even half a year might not be worth a few extra sales they'd get from slightly higher review scores, even if it means sacrificing a "better game."

Actually, more than the repeated areas, I'd say there's a lot of cleaning up of minor issues more than anything.  The Save File transfer, for example, is completely glitched and broken when dealing with more complex events.  I mentioned the earlier inconsistency with character portraits and images, as well.

Also, I love Aveline.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #289 on: March 09, 2011, 02:15:16 PM »

Had this preordered but based on reading some reviews and impressions I'm now iffy about the game. It already shipped though and I don't really feel like sending it back to Amazon so I'm just going to hold out some hope that I'll enjoy it. :/

Here's the deal, I can't imagine not having fun with the game unless you're specifically going in with the mindset that, "This game needs to be just like an old-school D&D-style RPG".  Despite the repetitive environments, the game is just FUN.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 09, 2011, 04:13:43 PM »

Of course, one can argue how cost-effective that is on Bioware/EA's part.  An extra year or even half a year might not be worth a few extra sales they'd get from slightly higher review scores, even if it means sacrificing a "better game."

It can also trash long term sales viability however. I'll get it, but when it drops in price, I'd rather not promote rushing out games that NEED the time to develop.
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 09, 2011, 04:34:24 PM »

The thing I enjoyed about John's review was that it answered the questions I had about the game after playing the demo. Based on the demo and the review I was able to make an informed decision to simply wait for a price drop or a swap (I love swap.com). But with the demo, which Bioware/EA certainly wasn't required to provide, and the review I know that this is a game I don't need to rush out and get and let my expectations be tempered accordingly.
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 09, 2011, 04:47:45 PM »

So I pumped the difficulty up to hard because I wasn't facing any challenge.  Enemies were certainly hitting harder, but it wasn't anything I could handle.  Then an enemy mage comes in and drops a big ball of fire right on my party that insta-kills the WHOLE FUCKING GROUP!  I tried the encounter again and the bastard only got one of my crew.  My healer revived him, but the flaming ball was still in place so it killed him AGAIN!  Seriously, this kinda stuff is what killed Origins for me, but at least they had the decency to put it on the higher difficulties.  I don't consider insta-kill attacks to be challenging.  I find them cheap and stupid in this day and age.  I'm sticking with normal just for my own sanity.  I don't even want to think about what Stephen is going through on Nightmare...
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #293 on: March 09, 2011, 05:04:54 PM »

Great, so you're saying that me wanting to play with Friendly Fire means I should put my hammer in the oven so that when I hammer my balls out to keep my sanity, at least it'll nice and hot?

EDIT: FF is in nightmare only

EDIT2: Bioware forum about friendly fire being a toggle option (http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/5490589#5491526)

David Gaider (senior writer)
Because it has a profound effect on the difficulty. Hence it being attached to the difficulty. Or that, anyhow, is what I assume. Attaching things to toggles is great, but if someone flips that on and doesn't know that it will suddenly make their "Easy" game not quite so Easy anymore... well, that wouldn't be good.

Bioware made this game to retards...

EDIT3: Hello modding community, fix this too please for PC users.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 05:31:28 PM by Annubis » Logged
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #294 on: March 09, 2011, 05:08:52 PM »

Whoa! I just slept with a tranny elf.This game suddenly has my attention.

PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 09, 2011, 05:43:07 PM »

I only put the game up to hard, so friendly fire wasn't on.  I would love to play the game with friendly fire because it would be even more tactical, just like Origins.  Instead, I have go to an absurd difficulty just to get the gameplay tweak that I want.  So odd...
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #296 on: March 09, 2011, 06:01:24 PM »

I just killed a dragon.

Dragons in a Dragon Age game...I didn't see that coming.

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #297 on: March 09, 2011, 06:21:01 PM »

Stephen is enjoying the difficulty so far but I haven't been one-shotted yet. It is irritating at times, though. The waves and waves of enemies make it easy to get overrun-- and sometimes I feel like luck is involved. But I still don't have many abilities, so we'll have to wait see how it pans out. The intro had me literally killing myself over and over again with my own fireball spell.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #298 on: March 09, 2011, 08:11:10 PM »

EDIT2: Bioware forum about friendly fire being a toggle option (http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/5490589#5491526)

David Gaider (senior writer)
Because it has a profound effect on the difficulty. Hence it being attached to the difficulty. Or that, anyhow, is what I assume. Attaching things to toggles is great, but if someone flips that on and doesn't know that it will suddenly make their "Easy" game not quite so Easy anymore... well, that wouldn't be good.

Bioware made this game to retards...

Yeah, that's sad.  It's basically saying, "We know words on the screen hurt some people's brains, so we just won't include the option." 

Despite that, I do like the game.  The first one absolutely trumps it in almost every way, but nonetheless I'm still having fun with it.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 09, 2011, 08:16:31 PM »

They could've just made it completely off on Easy because most people wouldn't even want it on then anyway, and/or scale the damage. Alternatively, if they keep dying ask if they want to turn friendly fire on.

I don't care too much for it one way or another, but being too untrusting in the capabilities of players can lead to a ho hum experience, and it's worse if you keep it in two extremes.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 34 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: