Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 04:08:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319774 Posts in 13047 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Dragon Age 2
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 34 Print
Author Topic: Dragon Age 2  (Read 64468 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: March 10, 2011, 11:55:28 PM »

It was mostly I jest. I felt EA over reacted so I did the same.
I didn't quite carry over that way I see.
Honestly though, aren't those Bioware's forums? I know EA Owns Bioware but they still should be able to keep some things their own.

Maybe if it was EA published, but Bioware's pretty thoroughly integrated, to the point where they lumped Mythic in with them.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #331 on: March 11, 2011, 01:32:08 AM »

IGN: After the game is finished, do you go back through a play it again with all of the music in place?

Zur: Sure thing. I'm actually really anxious for the game right now, so I can pop it in and start playing. I'm really looking forward to see it. I know there are a few bugs that still need to be fixed. Unlike other titles from Bioware, this [score] was kind of a rush job. EA really wanted to capitalize on the success of Origins, so the game was really being pushed hard to be released now. So I'd like to know if there are bugs, or if there's anything we could patch or fix. [Editor's note: Zur is speaking about bugs in the score only; he had no involvement with the rest of the game's development.]
Draak

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #332 on: March 11, 2011, 02:34:05 AM »

Maybe if it was EA published, but Bioware's pretty thoroughly integrated, to the point where they lumped Mythic in with them.

Sometimes I wonder if Bioware will eventually end up like Maxis. 
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #333 on: March 11, 2011, 06:11:58 AM »

Mind posting comparison pics?  Or just pics in general would be nice.  I googled it the other day and didn't find anything yet.

There's some comparison pictures in this article here (try google translate) of various graphics settings.

I haven't had much of a chance to play it yet since it only unlocked here at midnight, but this is what the opening area looks like on high with high textures, and this is the same area at medium settings with the default textures, roughly equivalent to the consoles.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 06:13:38 AM by DPB » Logged
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #334 on: March 11, 2011, 07:39:30 AM »

Wait, so the guy was banned from the forum and because of that can't play his own games? What?

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #335 on: March 11, 2011, 07:58:52 AM »

Wait, so the guy was banned from the forum and because of that can't play his own games? What?

EA suspended his account, and you need that for the initial activation of the PC version.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #336 on: March 11, 2011, 08:19:31 AM »

EA suspended his account, and you need that for the initial activation of the PC version.

I just read the thread. This is ridiculous.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: March 11, 2011, 08:36:50 AM »

Mike Laidlaw's Defense of DAII
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: March 11, 2011, 09:28:04 AM »

I was thinking about the enemy wave design, and here's what I came up with.  Having waves of enemies spawn around you is an inelegant solution to a very real problem that was present in Origins and even worse in 2.  If you walk into a room full of enemies in Origins one of two things is going to happen:  either you hold back and use the door as a choke point, or you rush into the room possibly end up bogged down in enemies (and of course potential mage fireball death).  In 2, if you use a choke point there's almost no way the game can beat you.  I almost laugh when I'm given a choke point because my party is so damned powerful at range (archer Hawke kicks all sorts of ass).  So, they went with the enemy wave design to keep players on their toes and prevent choke point abuse/death.  I don't think it was the best way to handle the problem, but it certainly helps to avoid the tedium of using the same trick over and over again to beat the game.  
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 09:57:47 AM by PaleRobbie » Logged
Annubis
Image is from Magical Diary. It's the Deus Ex of VN/Dating sim

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #339 on: March 11, 2011, 10:55:22 AM »

I feel the complete opposite. If enemies are already on the map and you find a way to abuse the landscape, this is GREAT. You feel smart and are rewarded for the extra mental effort.
If you have enemies spawning in front, behind, on the sides, wherever (what we've seen in the demo), you don't feel any kind of strategy since the enemies will always come from places that can't be covered and you're basically in the middle of an open field. This just makes you go 'press A' till enemies dead mode.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Let's see if you bastards can do 90.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #340 on: March 11, 2011, 10:59:19 AM »

Yeah Rob, I was telling you yesterday, I have to use choke points in every fight that I can, and prior to every fight I find myself positioning my party beforehand-- and the wave design makes it so that I have to think about my positioning after the first wave goes down. I always feel  Of course, if you just run far enough away from where the initial wave spawns, the second wave won't spawn on top of you. So yeah, definitely an inelegant solution. But again, I think it all leads back to the fact that the game was hardcore rushed.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: March 11, 2011, 11:02:26 AM »

I agree that using the environment is a key component of the tactical feel in these kinds of games, however I quickly grew bored with using the same pull/choke strategy over and over again to get through combat.  And your party members are so devastating now, that placing a tank in a doorway is almost an instant win in these combat situations.  Hell, Aveline basically took on the high dragon in Act 3 by herself.  She just needs a heal spell every once in a while to keep her going.  As for pressing A to win, well, I'm playing on PC, so there's none of that present.  

I still wish I could turn FF on while playing on normal.  Based on conversations with Stephen, I have no desire to play this game on hard or nightmare because of the overwhelming odds thrown at the player and the luck necessary to defeat some of the harder situations.  I'm further along than Stephen, and I can't even fathom how he's going to get through some of the tougher fights.  
MindCandy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #342 on: March 11, 2011, 11:31:39 AM »

well that's it for me. I'm not buying it, at least not new. That forum incident pushed one more button. Given it's not huge, but it added 'i don't really want to support this company' to the already long list of reasons I have not to play this game. I've got one hell of a backlog to keep me plenty busy.

Currently playing:
Xbox 360 - NIER
Wii - Metroid Prime 2: Echos (trilogy version)
PSP - Disgaea
DS - SMT: Devil Survivor
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #343 on: March 11, 2011, 12:16:51 PM »

Eurogamer: I've seen scores as low as a 6/10 - what do you think when you read those?

Mike Laidlaw: Well it's hard to know exactly what's going on with scores that are really, really negative. One possible culprit could just be a change backlash, i.e. this isn't Origins and I wanted Origins 2. There may be some degree of what I would honestly say is emotional investment in the Origins story, or in the way Origins was presented which is leading to a stronger than average reaction of disappointment. That's understandable, and if anything that really is a compliment to the work on Origins. I'm not sure it's an entirely fair assessment to say all games must be like the previous game. I think we would have seen just as much negativity if we just, as I used to joke, stapled two Archdemons together and called it a super blight. It boils down to a game that challenges a fair amount of convention: it doesn't tell the usual fantasy story or present the usual fantasy combat, and in doing so it does run the risk of someone going, "Wow, this is just too different and I cannot handle it."

Yep nothing to do with the quality of the game guys, we just can't handle Dragon Age II's complexity. Almost every goddamn encounter in DA II is the same. At least in DA:O there was a semblance of strategy. Oh there's two Emissaries, better not be a moron. Oh there's a dragon, better put proper range on my mages.
Adapheon
The original hobo with a shotgun

summersdemise@yahoo.com Kal+Imith
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #344 on: March 11, 2011, 12:19:36 PM »

I'm only about 8 hours in the game so far but as someone that loved DA:O (I put about 65 hours into it) I am in love with this game as well. I loathe Friendly Fire, I put up with it in Origins because the game was great but I'm happy I don't need to put up with it here. Say what you will, I'm playing a game and I tactical games but I don't want to have to control my mage in every fight to make sure that it doesn't kill half my party.

There's been a few conversation trees that have been awkward but other then that I have no real issue about the game. I have more complaints about my graphics card starting to die then I do about the game itself.

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 34 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: