Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 11:27:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327221 Posts in 13398 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Dragon Age 2
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 34 Print
Author Topic: Dragon Age 2  (Read 66566 times)
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #345 on: March 11, 2011, 12:42:41 PM »

http://vividgamer.com/2011/03/10/ea-fails-to-disclose-securom-in-dragon-age-ii/
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: March 11, 2011, 12:48:47 PM »

No matter what you might think of the other complaints, violating a court order is a pretty big deal.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #347 on: March 11, 2011, 12:54:47 PM »

The more I play this game, the more I realize something:  there's a thin line between "simplified" and "dumbed down".  This game feels like the latter.  I just killed a dragon by getting aggro with Hawke and running in a circle while everyone else beat on it. :P

I'm really starting to think they should have gone the Fable route with this game.  It would have fit the story they're trying to tell perfectly and still cater to this "push a button, shit happens" mentality that overtook the design team.

John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #348 on: March 11, 2011, 12:59:17 PM »

The more I play this game, the more I realize something:  there's a thin line between "simplified" and "dumbed down".  This game feels like the latter.  I just killed a dragon by getting aggro with Hawke and running in a circle while everyone else beat on it. :P

Like I said, the game feels like World of Warcraft :-p

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #349 on: March 11, 2011, 01:03:22 PM »

Like I said, the game feels like World of Warcraft :-p

It's funny you say that, because literally two rooms after that dragon I had to reenact the last boss fight in Utgarde Keep. :P

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #350 on: March 12, 2011, 03:12:37 PM »

Digital Foundry face-off is up:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-dragon-age-ii-face-off

PS3 and PC demos weren't representative of the final product. Third parties are finally starting to use MLAA on the PS3 versions.
The previous face-off based on the demos showed that the frame-rate during gameplay on the PS3 was ridiculous to say the least. Bioware's solution was to deactivate v-sync and unlock the frame-rate and though it's now more on par with the 360 version, the amount of screen tearing is huge when the engine is under stress.
Curiously (this already happened in the demo) during custscenes the frame-rate of the PS3 version is a lot smoother.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 03:24:10 PM by CDFN » Logged

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #351 on: March 12, 2011, 03:22:07 PM »

I'm glad that the final version of the PS3 version didn't look like it did in the demo.  The demo had a few graphical issues that bothered me, such as Bethany's chainmail flickering and a tearing right along the mother's chest that made it absolutely impossible for me to concentrate.  

I suppose the days of saying "the PS3 only gets inferior ports" are almost over?

Edit: You forgot to mention that while there's screen tearing in combat, the game does actually run at a higher FPS on PS3.  I'd take a bit of screen tearing for a higher FPS.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 03:24:16 PM by Cyril » Logged
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #352 on: March 12, 2011, 03:31:58 PM »

I'm glad that the final version of the PS3 version didn't look like it did in the demo.  The demo had a few graphical issues that bothered me, such as Bethany's chainmail flickering and a tearing right along the mother's chest that made it absolutely impossible for me to concentrate.  

I suppose the days of saying "the PS3 only gets inferior ports" are almost over?

Edit: You forgot to mention that while there's screen tearing in combat, the game does actually run at a higher FPS on PS3.  I'd take a bit of screen tearing for a higher FPS.

Yeah, I just saw the video comparing the fight sections, the frame-rate seems to be slightly higher than the 360 version, in the demo it was significantly lower. I find screen tearing to be really off putting though.
The most interesting part for me in this article was the video comparing the PS3 and maxed out PC versions. MLAA holds up incredibly well against 8MSAA. When you think that it's cheaper than 2MSAA it's pretty damn impressive. Developers don't need to resort to the blur inducing quincux anymore. This technique was a real breakthrough for sony, I can't wait to see ND's implemantation in uncharted 3.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #353 on: March 12, 2011, 07:22:35 PM »

PC still looks the best of course
Commander Jubby Shepard
What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.

If you come back you will find me a very grave man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #354 on: March 12, 2011, 07:38:15 PM »

Depending on the PC. If it were played on mine... I'd probably have to put it as low as possible to play...
Portal looks worse on my PC than the XBox 360 version...

If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #355 on: March 12, 2011, 07:39:23 PM »

Yeah of course, goes without saying, though personally I was expecting a bigger leap.

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #356 on: March 12, 2011, 09:18:44 PM »

I'd still rather play  on a 42" screen with Dolby surround sound than on a 19" screen sitting in my computer chair.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #357 on: March 12, 2011, 09:23:56 PM »

I'd still rather play  on a 42" screen with Dolby surround sound than on a 19" screen sitting in my computer chair.

You can play Dragon Age 2 (Superior PC version with High Resolution Textures) on a 42" screen. Your argument is invalid.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #358 on: March 12, 2011, 09:31:18 PM »

I'd rather not have my computer keyboard and mouse on my living room table.

Commander Jubby Shepard
What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.

If you come back you will find me a very grave man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #359 on: March 12, 2011, 09:36:29 PM »

You can play Dragon Age 2 (Superior PC version with High Resolution Textures) on a 42" screen. Your argument is invalid.

That would be nice if my PC was any bit more capable than the XBox...

If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 34 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: