Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 12:16:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335235 Posts in 13726 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Dragon Age 2
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 Print
Author Topic: Dragon Age 2  (Read 69852 times)
Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #480 on: December 14, 2011, 03:35:47 PM »

Nier (lots of others seemed to like it despite the piss poor reviews).

A result of having gameplay that's merely serviceable combined with compelling story/characters, not to mention the occasional odd, unexpected twist in gameplay.

But if he's looking for WRPGs then those suggestions aren't much good, or are outright redundant. Oblivion and Fallout 3 don't seem to have been as badly off on PS3 as Skyrim was (best to verify online though), and if he's willing to look back further he can start with the classics at GoG.com. There'll be a sale starting Monday too, so there's a good chance a lot of stuff like Bioware/Black Isle games could be on sale, then there's the Ultima series that were key to creating the genre in the first place, though I'd probably just skip to VII or try IV for free to see if he can even swallow DOS based, read-the-fucking-manual-and-supplements game.

I should have clarified better.... my response was in light of the fact that the dude said he didn't like Sci-Fi stuff, in which case I felt the best RPG's to fit the bill were in fact JRPG's..... I should have better expressed that.... Twas what I meant when I said I was about to "derail" the topic (to a degree).... In other words, I couldn't really think of anything outside the realm of sci-fi that was also a PS3 WRPG that really tickled my fancy so to speak aside from Dragon Age Origins....... Klyde is very sorry :)

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #481 on: December 14, 2011, 05:35:18 PM »

I'm a new PS3 user and looking for some RPGs to play with. Can you recommend this game to a guy, who usually playes jRPGs? I heard the first one was better, but this is more console friendly.

If you have your PS hooked up to the internet you can always download the demo. That's what I did, and to be honest I hated it. As far as recommendations go, I agree with Mass Effect. Even if you aren't into the Si-Fi stuff so much, there's a good chance you'll grow to like it after booting up ME.

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Fyle

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #482 on: April 02, 2012, 06:16:11 PM »

I just finished DA:Origins and for the most part thought it was real good. However, it seems what I really liked about it has been altered in the sequel (DA2) which is choice of race, character customization, origin stories and a variety of locations...?!

So, should I bother playing thru DA2 or will I be seriously disappointed? Not being able to equip your party members really makes me wonder about Bioware. Theres no excuse for dumbing down an RPG element that bad...

What are the best points of DA2? How does it stack up to other WRPGs such as Reckoning, Skyrim or other WRPGs aside from DA:OrigIns which seems to be the only game ppl compare it to.

I guess I'll need one or two more games to hold me off until Dragons Dogma and I was contemplating this as one of them. Thanks.

(#^.^#)

I was once a pick up artist like you until I took an RPG to the knee.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #483 on: April 02, 2012, 06:19:24 PM »

Dragon Age 2 is worth going through as a $15 game.  Just don't expect an experience that rivals Origins.  It's inferior in every way that matters.

Also, make sure to turn on auto-attack, unless you like mashing the A button every time you want to do a basic attack.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #484 on: April 02, 2012, 06:46:33 PM »

If it wasn't for the massive re-use of environments DA2 would be great.

Standard equipment for the party members is good because otherwise there is just too much loot and item management, in my opinion

There's good story and conversations. worth the cheap price for sure.

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #485 on: April 02, 2012, 07:59:48 PM »

What are the best points of DA2?

There aren't any.

That is, unless you're a fan of smarmy cunts spewing out one-liner after one-liner, in which case you'd be better off watching an episode or two of Buffy.

Fyle

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #486 on: April 02, 2012, 10:44:00 PM »

Hmm. The $15 thing is a good point but this -

There aren't any.

That is, unless you're a fan of smarmy cunts spewing out one-liner after one-liner, in which case you'd be better off watching an episode or two of Buffy.

Scares me. Not a big Buffy fan. Okay, thanks guys, I'll keep thinking about it for now.

(#^.^#)

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: April 02, 2012, 11:06:37 PM »

« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 11:08:31 PM by Eusis » Logged
mjrpgfan

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #488 on: April 03, 2012, 02:29:53 AM »

The plot and dialogue are awful, but the combat was interesting enough on nightmare.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #489 on: April 03, 2012, 02:38:08 AM »

Plot was better than DA:O's "gather an army and kill evil menace, then fist bump Alistair" thing.

Dialogue isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea, and plot definitely could've been executed better, but it's a far cry from terrible.

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #490 on: April 03, 2012, 03:06:46 AM »

A lot of DA2 haters here...

It's definitely a flawed game.  It was obviously very rushed (the constant dungeon reuse and limited number of locations being the most obvious points), but I honestly like what the game was trying to do better than the original.  It's telling a much more nuanced political story that takes place over the course of a long period of time.  I liked the story.  I liked the character interaction, even though I didn't always like the characters.  Party members had actual goals and motivations that went beyond following you around and doing whatever you wanted them to.  Some times they were dicks, but they generally well-motivated dicks.  I honestly think trying to please all your party members is the wrong way to play the game.  I played the game in-character and had a significant number of people leave over the course of the game, but I'm fine with that.  It made more sense to me than trying to bend over backwards to please them.

I honestly think DA2 is a much more original and ambitious game than DA:O, but it was crippled by a rushed development process.

Themadcow
RPGing since '84

4 groups of 99 Berzerkers

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #491 on: April 03, 2012, 07:24:48 AM »

Having a different origin story depending on your race and class was pretty damn original - certainly more than 'hero rises from obscurity to greatness'.
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #492 on: April 03, 2012, 03:49:22 PM »

DA2 was a cash-in, and a bad one at that. It had EA written all over it, and so did the "awesome" button.
There was supposed to be this massive face off between DA2 and The Witcher 2. Wasn't quite the rivalry everyone expected since EA ended up bringing a stick to a gunfight.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 04:17:48 PM by Maxximum » Logged

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Fyle

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #493 on: April 03, 2012, 05:12:26 PM »

Awesome, thanks for all the opinions. Luckily I still haven't even started Awakening or any other expansion yet for origins and it may have enough life to get me to Dragons Dogma without DA2.

What I can take from reading your responses is mixed feeling from some people defending and making the best of it to ppl who can't quite get over the disappointment. That tells me I have kind of a 50/50 shot at liking it cause in the end I'll side with one of the types of opinions going around on it. However, the general agreement seems to be disappointment in the end. It's hard to tell who geniually likes this title for me.

I'll save this for a last resort unless I find it super cheap.

(#^.^#)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 05:15:10 PM by Fyle » Logged

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #494 on: April 03, 2012, 09:23:53 PM »

Eh, it's RPGfan. Most around here would burn a mediocre WRPG to the ground but a mediocre JRPG gets praised.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: