Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 30, 2014, 08:21:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329981 Posts in 13522 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  OnLive - Everything you need to know
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: OnLive - Everything you need to know  (Read 925 times)
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« on: July 10, 2010, 04:59:57 PM »

Cloud gaming could be the biggest revolution this industry has seen. No need for new hardware ever again, no physical copies of the games, no piracy, no second-hand market. You won't ever enter a store or a site to buy a game again, you will never buy a new console or upgrade your pc for gaming, you won't be able to sell your games or borrow them from a friend.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-onlive-article

It's a great read, absolutely everything you need to know about OnLive in its current state and then some.

So, how is it? Surprisingly, what people thought would be the biggest issue, lag, isn't actually much of a problem. On the other hand, picture quality can be atrocious and even at its best wont look as good as the local experience. Framerate (of the game itself, not the video stream) is all over the place. Overall the prices are too high.
Bottom line, the so called hardcore gamer wont be satisfied with what is offered here. It's the first step towards a future like the one I described above though. Are you cool with that? A lot of food for thought here folks.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Uru

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 05:38:06 PM »

Im sure this will bomb, simply from a marketing standpoint. Also, most people have shit internet connections, playing SF4 online has taught me that.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 05:42:00 PM »

Sounds interesting... as long as you don't have an ISP that imposes bandwidth caps.   I imagine the amount of data being transferred back and forth would be much higher than what is being transferred now.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 07:40:12 PM »

I *like* physical copies of things.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 07:45:18 PM »

I'm the same. I also sometimes like going into stores and talking with the clerks.

It sounds like less hassle, but it also seems like we are losing something as well.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 07:57:46 AM »

Sounds interesting... as long as you don't have an ISP that imposes bandwidth caps.   I imagine the amount of data being transferred back and forth would be much higher than what is being transferred now.

2.5 Gb/hour according to the article...

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 08:01:55 AM »

Although I love the feeling of finding a rare game in a store it would be nice to see piracy, well...gone.

Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 08:51:00 AM »

AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 12:41:25 PM »

I do like having physical copies of things. But I've got so many games, dvds, comics and books at this point that I'm running out of room. I mean, I'll sell anything I don't think I'll play again, but even then I've still got a ton of stuff. Having digital copies of things or streaming movies and games, is fine by me. If something like this was ever set up down here (HAHAHA I'm not holding my breath) I could see myself using it for games I'm sort of interested in, but not for games I reaaaally want to play.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 01:08:13 PM »

I like physical things too, but I'm slowly moving towards digital, so I don't really care if it's in the cloud or not. My concern has already been mentioned - data transfer and bandwidth caps.

It looks like a cool concept, though.

Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 09:51:22 PM »

I still think that this tech is 5-10 years too early.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: