Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 08:50:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334682 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  tales of vesperia makes me sleepy
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: tales of vesperia makes me sleepy  (Read 5198 times)
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2010, 08:32:27 PM »

I enjoyed Vesperia greatly, thought Yuri was a cool character (Though I didnt get a chance to play Symphonia and I only played about 10 hours of Tales of the Abyss).  There were some slow parts, I can understand that a bit, but I feel every rpg has these mostly..I dunno.  Also..I had fun with Star Ocean 4...obviously not a strong rpg, but I didnt dislike it either..guess im easy to please, or just have the wierdest tastes in things.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2010, 08:38:49 PM »

i'm easy to please too and vesperia bored the hell out of me. i would go so far as to say dawn of the new world is more enjoyable.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2010, 09:51:43 PM »

Really ? Vesperia was my first tales game and I enjoyed a lot more than I thought I would. It was my favorite RPG on the 360 until Mass Effect 2 came on it.
Like Serene Prophet I played about 10 hours of Abyss, after have finished Vesperia and although it wasn't bad I didn't think it was as good.

If you say Dawn of the New World is better, I'll at least give it a go.

As for SO4, my 360 broke for the 3rd time 2 months before the was released so I didn't play on it and after I played a little on a firend's Xbox but the announcement of it on PS3 made me wait (no voices of hell for me, which I'm sure are much worse than swapping any disc). So I just begun on it, but about 3 hours in, I kinda like it.

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2010, 09:54:59 PM »

Dawn of the New World is nowhere near as good as Vesperia.

Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2010, 03:33:46 AM »

Really ? Vesperia was my first tales game and I enjoyed a lot more than I thought I would. It was my favorite RPG on the 360 until Mass Effect 2 came on it.
Like Serene Prophet I played about 10 hours of Abyss, after have finished Vesperia and although it wasn't bad I didn't think it was as good.

If you say Dawn of the New World is better, I'll at least give it a go.

As for SO4, my 360 broke for the 3rd time 2 months before the was released so I didn't play on it and after I played a little on a firend's Xbox but the announcement of it on PS3 made me wait (no voices of hell for me, which I'm sure are much worse than swapping any disc). So I just begun on it, but about 3 hours in, I kinda like it.

So like you and Annubis pointed out, it seems the voice acting is the worst part of the game. I rather deal with Japanese voices then hear voice acting from another Star Ocean game, so maybe the PS3 version is the way to go.

I'm curious if the story is somewhat decent if anyone can give me their opinion. I enjoyed the story of SO3, but I didn't think they actually did service to the whole futuristic setting. ( After about the midway point, it did get pretty interesting and somewhat silly ) But I did enjoy going to different planets .

Also, are there any unlockables? I'm a sucker for those, costumes, music, side quests, super dungeons, etc. SO3 had a good dose, so I'm hoping SO4 takes it to a new level.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2010, 03:58:08 AM »

I'm curious if the story is somewhat decent if anyone can give me their opinion.

AH HAHAHAHA

... Ok, I haven't played through the game, but I've seen and heard enough that, if I were to actually get the game, I'd be tempted to skip past all the cutscenes, and avoid pirvate actions like the plague.
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2010, 03:59:50 AM »

SO4? Just change the voice overs into Japanese and you're all set.

The game is fun and there's a number of side quests to do there.

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2010, 05:53:56 AM »

The story is serviceable. The dialogue can be mildly amusing at times, and the game does break a few JRPG conventions without treading too much into pretentious territory.

Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2010, 06:53:11 PM »

The story is serviceable. The dialogue can be mildly amusing at times, and the game does break a few JRPG conventions without treading too much into pretentious territory.
You know what, I'll give it a shot. I can trade in my Killzone 2 and Bayonetta (PS3) and pay the difference to get SO4.
Thanks everyone, hope I don't regret it!
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2010, 07:10:30 PM »

Er... crap, I was referring to Vesperia.

SO4's story is balls.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2010, 07:56:07 PM »

I dunno, I took "mildly amusing" as "so stupid it's funny". I'll have to dig up a video of the cutscene before the final fight to show one of the best examples of that, but you can also search "Star Ocean 4 Everything" and probably get another awful scene.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2010, 10:27:30 AM »

I dunno, I took "mildly amusing" as "so stupid it's funny". I'll have to dig up the videos of the cutscene before the final fight to show one of the best examples of that, but you can also search "Star Ocean 4 Everything" and probably get another awful scene.

Fixed as the total final fight cutscene time was about 2 hours.

Also case in point, anything having to do with Lymie (and Welch, and Serah, and the token Cat-grrl, and you know what, anything with a vagina automatically sucked in that game (also to be noted that Faze is included in this as he is a walking leaky pussy (also Edge when he was angsting))).

On second thought, I'd just be easier if I called everyone involved in that game painfully godawful anime trash, just like SOs 2 & 3.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 10:29:09 AM by KillerArmoire » Logged

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2010, 06:45:06 PM »

just avoid the private scenes and you set. Although, I found alot of them funny just because of how bad they were. Lymie and her voice actress needs to go diaf though.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2010, 08:08:03 PM »

Not fixed, I wouldn't show two hours of cutscenes for one amazingly bad line.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2010, 10:20:38 AM »

Not fixed, I wouldn't show two hours of cutscenes for one amazingly bad line.

Only one line? Can you remind me of which one in particular because no one line really stood out to me through that cutscene sea of agony?

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: