Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 01:28:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330138 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Dragon Quest IX
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: Dragon Quest IX  (Read 23632 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« on: July 11, 2010, 03:44:17 AM »

Ok, this topic is long overdue. Anyone grabbing it today, or already have it? It's the one RPG I've been wanting most as of late, especially since it's in the only series I've been reliably beating as of late.
supersonic
Prefers JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 09:55:07 AM »

I might get it at some point, but I don't see myself playing it anytime soon. The importance of the multiplayer component is a huge turn off for me.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 11:27:18 AM »

I might get it at some point, but I don't see myself playing it anytime soon. The importance of the multiplayer component is a huge turn off for me.

Arggh...that's lousy. I know everyone and their mothers (literally) play Dragon Quest in Japan... unfortunately, I find seeing someone play non-JRPGs here (especially Canada...mmm, our lack of population is swell) more common than someone getting the new UFC fighting game instead.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
DM Kyle E. Miller
Administrator

foriamthedm@yahoo.com foriamthedm foriamthedm@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 11:32:55 AM »

I'm pro single-player-only, so we'll have to see how it goes. Sam's going to review it for the site, but I might do a second opinion. I'm going to try to find it today.
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 11:35:23 AM »

I picked it up at a Nintendo launch event yesterday, and nagged a friend into getting it too, but I am expecting to still play it by myself mostly. Anyhow, it's a slow start, but still enjoyable, even if quite easy thus far. Aside from the multiplayer part, DQIX is quite similar to III, so if you enjoyed that, then go for IX, but if not, well, don't think this will change your mind.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Draak

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 01:31:31 PM »

I'll have to wait a few weeks before I get my copy. Honestly I don't care about multiplayer even if it's supposed to be a major aspect of the game. People have been saying the main quest is around 40h packed with a nice amount of sidequests so that's good enough for me.
Larahl

Say, fuzzy pickles.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 02:03:03 PM »

I'm planning on getting it eventually.
I really enjoyed Dragon Quest VIII, and from what I read in 1Up's review, I'm sure I'm going to enjoy this one, as well. With or without the multi-player.

I wash my hands of those who imagine chattering to be knowledge, silence to be ignorance, and affection to be art.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 02:57:30 PM »

My girlfriend and I both love Dragon Quest (she finished V, I got distracted and haven't yet). We've been waiting years for a new multiplayer jRPG that we can both play together. We played through both Tales of Symphonia and Abyss, but I had already played those through. So when we heard about DQIX, we jumped. We preordered 2 copies a few weeks back at Play n Trade, so they should be here within the week. We're also going on a vacation at the beginning of August, so this should be perfect!

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 03:08:07 PM »

i saw a video of this on my wii and it seems like if you need to play solo you can just recruit people in town to help you. i'm intrigued by the fact that you get to create the main char.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 07:36:19 PM »

Play n Trade

WTF I thought you lived in alaska

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

DM Kyle E. Miller
Administrator

foriamthedm@yahoo.com foriamthedm foriamthedm@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 11:14:35 PM »

As Dennis said, it's a bit slow to start and easy, but it seems like a solid JRPG with everything that comes with it. There seems to be attention to detail and good pacing, which are often lacking in today's battle-battle-battle JRPGs. I'm ignoring the multiplayer, and the single player experience doesn't seem too different because of it. Unfortunately, the party members are created characters as everyone knows by now, and this will undoubtedly be the very worst thing about the game. A stupid, stupid decision. That and going with handheld. Boo DS 3D.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 11:22:42 PM »

Unfortunately, the party members are created characters as everyone knows by now, and this will undoubtedly be the very worst thing about the game. A stupid, stupid decision.

Ok, I understand preferring to have premade PCs with actual character development, but isn't that too harsh? It's not exactly the kind of thing that actually ruins a game, and I like having that bit of freedom to play with the character creator without having to make a character I wouldn't want to use as THE main character.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2010, 01:28:49 AM »

I'll skip this game, I'm more interested in Dragon Quest VI.

Unfortunately, the party members are created characters as everyone knows by now, and this will undoubtedly be the very worst thing about the game. A stupid, stupid decision. That and going with handheld. Boo DS 3D.

I love when characters are silent because they don't talk shit that I don't care. I mean, the cast from Final Fantasy XIII is beyond annoying. And I don't see the "problem" that this game is a portable RPG.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2010, 03:56:21 AM »

Unfortunately, the party members are created characters as everyone knows by now, and this will undoubtedly be the very worst thing about the game. A stupid, stupid decision.

Ok, I understand preferring to have premade PCs with actual character development, but isn't that too harsh? It's not exactly the kind of thing that actually ruins a game, and I like having that bit of freedom to play with the character creator without having to make a character I wouldn't want to use as THE main character.

To add to this DQ games are usually more about the people around you rather than your party members. Aside from IV, the latter half of V, an amount of VI that I don't know about on account of having never played it before, and VIII the plot doesn't really focus on the party or saving the world from some as of yet undetermined evil. Whereas the typical JRPG will load the game with either character building quests or barring that a mindless fetch quest for some trinket, key, or macguffin, a DQ game will usually have the region in some state of trouble extending from a local dispute to a minion of the main villain wreaking up the place and will feature at least two or more named NPCs being the ones getting the fleshing out.

The tl;dr is that DQ games tend to do more world building rather than hometown building that most JRPGs perform.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2010, 12:38:21 PM »

WTF I thought you lived in alaska

I do. Play n Trade is everywhere, dude.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: