Author Topic: Dragon Quest IX

Zool

• View Profile
Re: Dragon Quest IX
« Reply #90 on: September 05, 2010, 01:07:53 PM »
Having finished the main game I though I would just take a look at a grotto. Found the first one and finished it; it was quite easy.

What I am not sure of is 'why' complete the grotto's? Is is just to collect all 300 monsters? I finished the main game with 217.

Cyril

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 05, 2010, 02:49:51 PM »
It's good old-fashioned loot grinding.  If loot grinding isn't your thing, you won't like the Grottos.  As you get to higher level Grottos (usually 70+) chests start dropping excellent gear, such as Metal King Slime armor.  The bosses also have a ~2% chance of dropping some gear as well.

The GameFAQs DQIX board has a really nice sticky on how the Grotto naming system works and what the names mean.

Oh, and if you really plan on dipping into Grottos, here's my advice so you don't get mad too often:
1. If there's a big monster you can't avoid in the hallway, open your menu.  This allows the monsters to run right through you and you don't have to deal with every monster.
2. Rangers get a spell that makes them invisible.  Use it to avoid encounters. You don't actually need someone to be on the Ranger class, just someone who has enough points into the skillset.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 06, 2010, 01:47:00 AM »
The OTHER reason to go to grottoes is to complete side quests or get higher level maps that contain enemies needed to complete side quests. There are a bunch of loose ends left over from the main quest that will only be tied up with DLC but most of that can either only be done in post game or might as well do it in post game since there are a few extra conveniences available to you post game and some quests basically require you to have much more firepower than what's needed for even the final plot boss that you might as well just get it out of the way already.

Also the best place to level is a map with Metal King Slimes or Platinum Jewel Slimes since outside of grottoes only MKSs very rarely show up in the only non-grotto post-game dungeon (and I mean only with other encounters and very rarely still).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Andrew

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 06, 2010, 05:57:59 AM »
I found it extremely annoying. Some I didn't know how to complete early on I had to abandon to take on new ones.

Andrew

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 06, 2010, 09:22:13 AM »
Mind you, not as annoying as the time when I used a Chimera Wing from the menus, flew off into the sky and hit my head on the roof...  and still that Chimera Wing was used up, but it didn't work.  Just tell me 'You can't use that here...' or something.  Don't let me use an item up and then tell me I can't do it.

Heh. First DQ game? I actually like that. I think it's charming.

Cyril

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 06, 2010, 03:06:18 PM »
I love the Zoom/Chimera Wing inside animation!  I would be incredibly disappointed if they ever removed it, as it always makes me smile.  Compared with something like, say, Oblivion's "you can't Fast Travel from here" it adds a lot of soul to the series.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 06, 2010, 10:30:00 PM »
Did anyone else find this annoying?  From that point onwards, I didn't bother accepting any side-quests (because I couldn't!) because I didn't want to be completing a whole bunch in order to make room for some more.

Not at all since I only took on quests that I knew I could do or had the materials on hand for. I mean, I could've taken that make a malleable mask mission back in June when I first unlocked it, but instead I waited until I could acquire one during last week's DQVC sale.

Tridius

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 18, 2010, 07:03:59 PM »
Well for me since i've already compelted the main story line. I'm going to have to say the DLC quests are going to be hard namely Quest 136. which i've just finished by luck. Though the only quests i've have left at the moment are Quest 132, 59, and 117. Though quest 59 will require a lot of luck since the item in question is part of the Metal slime set.

Oh and this week DQVC is Dragon Quest III Themed Items.  Some of the items there namely the combat top cost 13,500 GP. more affordable than the one at stornway for 27,000 Gold.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 07:15:03 PM by Tridius »

Texcap

• View Profile
    • Quester's Log
« Reply #98 on: September 23, 2010, 03:25:04 PM »
Dragon Quest III theme week on the  DQVC has been a blast (only a couple of days left, dangit).
While I'm grateful for all the DLC, weeks like these are a lot more fun than, say, Alchemy week.
Fortiter -- Per Mare Per Terras!

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 23, 2010, 05:33:19 PM »
Hmm, I wouldn't recommend Grottos to anyone, honestly.

After spending 300 hours with this game and manually grinding every legitly available Legacy boss up to 99, I look back and I'd say that Grottos were probably the least fun experience for me in this game.  On the other hand, I love Legacy bosses.

However, if you don't find the game challenging, you'll definitely find Grottos and Legacy bosses to be a change of pace, because Legacy bosses are so ridiculously difficult at high levels (50+) that at times they're completely luck based.  You also have to play more by the game's rules than your own for the bosses.  A lot of people won't like that.

If you do Grottos, here's my advice: The "ultimate" gear from the Grotto bosses isn't so "ultimate." MKS armor is better in most every case than the Legendary Armor.  I still use Fur Hoods when fighting bosses like Zoma and Dhoulmagus because you need the Ice defense.  The best legs for a female are the Magical skirt in most circumstances. The one exception to this is the shield, which is "overall" the best shield.

The mistake here is that you've grinded legacy bosses up to 99 since after awhile the only thing increasing legacy boss levels does is increase the drop rate of their items by a single percent up to like 10% (and the values start at like 5% or something).

Tridius

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 25, 2010, 06:42:40 PM »
Even if that's true Cyril. You do need that ultimate gear in order to get a 100% completion for the Alchenomicon.

The only items i've gotten so far from the ulimate armor set is the Brain Drainer, and the Apprentice's Gloves.

Basically upgrading to their true ultimate rarity five star tier armor (and weapons too) is going to require Agate of Evolutions, and Reset Stones if you fail to sucessfully get it to it's final tier. As well as the orbs from each of the legacy bosses.
Heck one of the items to make an Agate of Evolution the Chronocrystal cost about 50,000 GP.

Though i would'nt start working on making those ultimate weapons & armor till i make most, or all the equipment that needs items for example like.
Oricalcum
Sainted Soma
Lucky Pendant
Monarchic Mark
Sorcerer's Stones
Gold Bar

« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 07:00:32 PM by Tridius »

Cyril

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 25, 2010, 06:58:12 PM »
The mistake here is that you've grinded legacy bosses up to 99 since after awhile the only thing increasing legacy boss levels does is increase the drop rate of their items by a single percent up to like 10% (and the values start at like 5% or something).

I did it for two reasons.
1. Completions sake.
2. Challenge.  A level 99 Estark (second hardest boss after Noctournus, who I don't have yet) is much, much harder at 99 than he is at, say, 80.  It's more for personal satisfaction than actual usefulness. And he's a lot harder at 80 than he is at 69.  

This doesn't really count for the easier bosses though.  Nimzo is probably the easiest or second easiest at 99.

Even if that's true Cyril. You do need that ultimate gear in order to get a 100% completion for the Alchenomicon.

The only items i've gotten so far from the ulimate armor set is the Brain Drainer, and the Apprentice's Gloves.

Basically upgrading to their true ultimate rarity five star tier armor (and weapons too) is going to require Agate of Evolutions, and Reset Stones if you fail to sucessfully get it to it's final tier. As well as the orbs from each of the legacy bosses.

Heck one of the items to make an Agate of Evolution the Chronocrystal cost about 50,000 GP.

Plus have you been doing any revocations of the main character. Cause that's the only way to get much better grotto maps from Grotto Bosses.

I'm well aware of that.  I put the game down because I've, literally, done everything possible. For example, I spent so much time in Grottos that I have 12 Stardust Swords, 10 MKS body Armors (though only 2 boots. . .), and 5 Spring Breeze Hats. No Hoimi. It is impossible to get 100%  completion legitly right now because not all of the cameo characters are there and certain armors can only be obtained through DQVC quests. In a month or two I'll pick it back up again and finish everything off.

And 50,000 Gold is nothing.  I'm sitting on 5,000,000. It's the other items that are more annoying to get to make the Agates.  Fortunately, you can steal most of them.

I've spent ungodly amounts of time with this game and I wouldn't have it any other way. I also 100% completioned DQVII and that took much longer. Silly PlatKings and their annoying hearts.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 07:07:09 PM by Cyril »

Tridius

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 25, 2010, 07:11:35 PM »
That's true though but the only classes i've revocated back to Lv 1 is Warrior and Martial Artist. Going to work on Thief though for the special accessory that helps make stealing easier.

Right now the only item that i have made that requires an orb is the Sage Stone.
I'm sure Magical Mending would affect it since it's an Healing Item.

Plus i am going to start to hate making those Agates since some quests need them.
Plus i really would rather not make too many gold bars of my own since the ingredients to make them are staggering namely the Sainted Soma, and Birdsong Nectar's

Cyril

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 25, 2010, 07:14:39 PM »
Right now the only item that i have made that requires an orb is the Sage Stone.
I'm sure Magical Mending would affect it since it's an Healing Item.

Plus i am going to start to hate making those Agates since some quests need them.
Plus i really would rather not make too many gold bars of my own since the ingredients to make them are staggering namely the Sainted Soma, and Birdsong Nectar's

Don't worry, once you have a good treasure map you won't need to make Gold Bars.  In fact, you'll be wishing the game wouldn't give them to you!  They take up high ranking treasure spots that could be used for something useful.

And no, Mending doesn't help the Sage's Stone.  The Sage's stone is worthless in this game, unfortunately.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 25, 2010, 11:09:15 PM »
Right now I'm getting most of my Gold Bars from Gem Jamborees.

The Sage's Stone is only useful if you're grinding through classes and you don't have anything resembling a decent healer at the moment. (Although I don't suppose the DQVIII tension trick still applies in this game. Does it?)

Unfortunately I don't have any map up to level 80 yet. Fortunately I did get a MKS map fairly early on. As such, I'm almost done grinding the useless classes up to level 50.

If you're revocating classes the Thief, Martial Artist, Gladiator, and Armamentalist are the most important classes to do first since their revocation bonuses improve your success rate at stealing, grants the highest agility boost of any accessory (moreso than even the meteorite armband), improves your critical hit rate, and improves your Coup de Grace activation rate respectfully. The Minstrel's Revocation bonus is basically FFVI's Merit Award (but only applies to items belonging to the opposite gender and also not all of them). The rest just grant the highest accessory boost to the stat most related to the class getting revocated.

The only 'top' items I currently have are the two footwares. The Hero Boots are meh since the HP regen rate is far too low to be of any real use, but the Sensible Sandals are pretty damn awesome given that the MP regen they provide helps free up an accessory slot for something more useful than a Goddess Ring.

Also I wouldn't ignore the D QVC since it can provide some awesome deals on items that are hard or impossible to get through other means. Last week they did a sale on DQIII themed gear, most of which can only be gotten through rare drops in chest, DLC quest rewards, the alchemy pot, or rare steals from post game enemies. This week is offering afro wigs and a top hat which can't be gotten through any other means in the game. And though they do have repeats its better to check when you can.