Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 10:17:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327949 Posts in 13430 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Dragon Quest IX
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: Dragon Quest IX  (Read 23163 times)
ttocs

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2010, 02:20:14 PM »

I picked it up yesterday and got a couple hours into it.  So far, it's been worth the wait.  I love it.  And to chime in with the non speaking characters.  I was a little upset by it at first, but after doing some reading on wiki pages and forums, it seems like the game is more about the story from a single persons perspective.  Like the poster above me (a couple) said, it's more about those around you in the environment rather than in your immediate party.  I'm going to make my party and extension of myself and level up a bunch of cool characters I wanted to play but couldn't because I made a warrior.  I think it will all work out in the end though and be a great game.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2010, 09:19:56 PM »

I've got the game but haven't started yet because I was trying to finish Strange Journey, but I decided to move on and get started with Dragon Quest IX. So, since only one party member is permanent, anybody has a recommendation so far for which class to pick or it doesn't matter ?
I know you can change it later and even make a party, but never knows when the game forces you to go alone during part of it.

TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2010, 09:24:57 PM »

With the exception of the 4th boss, it's easy thus far, and despite having a priest, I never needed to heal much in normal battles, so i say, pick what you like if you got no long term plans, and stack up on items if you lack a dedicated healer. I'm only at the bits after being able to change the classes. Been leveling up the other classes mostly, since it turns out levels are classed-based, not your core character.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2010, 09:40:49 PM »

Pokémon in my Dragon Quest?
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2010, 10:04:02 PM »

First thought that popped into my head when I saw it.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2010, 01:04:09 AM »

I started playing this thing, despite not being someone terribly into the series (The last DQ game I really played was DQ2 on the gameboy alomst a decade ago). I'm a sucker for character creation stuff and the idea of a online turn-based RPG is intriguing to me. I've just finished returning to Celestia or whatever as a non-angel for the first time. So far, I'm not terribly impressed, the main problem being the low difficulty as many other people have pointed out. The combat is the typical RPG trap of spamming attack and stopping to cast heal with no real thought involved other than that. Things like poison don't seem to stick onto bosses so that actually further discourages use of abilities and spells. I plan on sticking with it a bit more to see if that improves though.

I don't get why it was necessary to take so long to get into the actual game, and things like being able to change classes are really something I think should be available right from the get-go.

Gameplay flaws aside, I like the story alright. Someone mentioned it being more about the people you meet, and that is certainly true.

I know most people are still lolFamitsu, but with most 40s I can remember them giving I understood the general thrust of why they did it...with this game, not so much. This just seems a lot like the same game I played 10 years ago, with some interface cleanup and laughably easy instead of incredibly frustrating.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2010, 09:10:15 AM »

Picked this up yesterday and still doing tutorial type stuff.

I am impressed by the graphics for a DS game, and the music is really great. People seem to be complaining about the difficulty, but despite our memories, DQ games were never hard, they just required tactics.
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2010, 10:07:55 AM »

I know most people are still lolFamitsu, but with most 40s I can remember them giving I understood the general thrust of why they did it...with this game, not so much. This just seems a lot like the same game I played 10 years ago, with some interface cleanup and laughably easy instead of incredibly frustrating.

Never give Famitsu scores much weighting. They're either extremely generous or paid for. I'll leave that up to the conspiracy theorists to determine.

Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2010, 11:29:14 AM »

For famitsu's 40s they are giving like candy these days, I think that those which belong to new IPs or not that much hyped games are for real, the rest, simply bought. For exemple, 428: Fūsa Sareta Shibuya de has no reason to receive a 40 unless they really think it deserved it or even Bayonetta on the 360, sure this one comes from the creator of Devil May Cry but let's be honest, it's a new IP and it's not a spin of of Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy.

As for DQIX, I think I'll start as a Mage, I liked Jessica variety of skills in DQ8, unlike Yangus who had nothing better to do, but at least he hit really good.

ttocs

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2010, 01:13:37 PM »

You start the game as a Minstrel, but you can change later.  I've been playing for a little now and still haven't hit the switch class mark yet.  I did make a group of characters to find behind me though.  So far, I have a mage, a priest, and a martial artist.  The martial artist hits hard and the priest surprised me with decent spear skills.  She does some nice damage.  The mage is OK, but only in spells.  The melee is nonexistent, which is understandable.  I'll use her for the big fights.
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2010, 11:29:48 PM »

I very very rarely see any advertisements (besides in magazines) for video games, especially not rpg's.
so far, squeenix is the only rpg company that seems to do any advertising on TV, including ff13
anyone else see any ads in anything except magazines or for these games?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw1XRn_GONw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA5DKIG_OoQ

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2010, 09:02:14 AM »

Just got to recruiting/creating party members and then got destroyed by the next boss as I hadn't decked out my new companions in any equipment.

I am having a blast with the game, but it feels more like a shiney version of DQIV-VI. I think the great thing about DQ8 is that it basically retained the same gameplay as the rest of the series, but with the addition of the voice acting and large explorable world map, it felt also very modern. DQIX doesn't have that feel. Hopefully DQX if it goes to the Wii will be more along the lines of DQ8.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2010, 11:58:44 AM »

I started playing this thing, despite not being someone terribly into the series (The last DQ game I really played was DQ2 on the gameboy alomst a decade ago). I'm a sucker for character creation stuff and the idea of a online turn-based RPG is intriguing to me. I've just finished returning to Celestia or whatever as a non-angel for the first time. So far, I'm not terribly impressed, the main problem being the low difficulty as many other people have pointed out. The combat is the typical RPG trap of spamming attack and stopping to cast heal with no real thought involved other than that. Things like poison don't seem to stick onto bosses so that actually further discourages use of abilities and spells. I plan on sticking with it a bit more to see if that improves though.

I don't get why it was necessary to take so long to get into the actual game, and things like being able to change classes are really something I think should be available right from the get-go.

Gameplay flaws aside, I like the story alright. Someone mentioned it being more about the people you meet, and that is certainly true.

The main quest probably wont be too difficult until near the end (hell, they even give dead characters experience provided that it was the battle that they died in). However there is so much else to do it doesn't really matter. Alchemy is more addicting than it was in VIII thanks to not having to run all over creation like a chicken with it's head cut off waiting for the process to be done. Unfortunately its not that easy stumbling across basic equipment in a foraging only run-through of the game.

Also if you don't like a character's profession pre Alltrades, just make another character in the profession you want. You get free (albeit crappy) equipment and bringing a new character up to speed at that point shouldn't take long at all. And the main character is in basically the Hero/Jester class with access to swords, shields, and whips (and fans but seriously). All weapon skills are shared by different classes so what you put into swords, shields, or whips will still be there in your new class along with passive bonuses from profession only skills like +10 to strength or agility or +20% to HP or MP.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2010, 03:27:01 PM »

Honestly, I hated the DQ series, found them dated, repetitive, and boring. The only DQ games that I've played and never finished were DQVII, DQVIII, DQII and I for the GB and DQV.

Buuut... After playing DQIX, I'm now looking forward to DQX... But I don't have a Wii so I'll be looking forward to Ninokuni, which is the closest thing to DQ. :P

Also, will be playing DQV after DQIX.

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2010, 11:28:18 AM »

Honestly, I hated the DQ series, found them dated, repetitive, and boring. The only DQ games that I've played and never finished were DQVII, DQVIII, DQII and I for the GB and DQV.

Buuut... After playing DQIX, I'm now looking forward to DQX... But I don't have a Wii so I'll be looking forward to Ninokuni, which is the closest thing to DQ. :P

Also, will be playing DQV after DQIX.

I'm glad to hear this, because I feel the same as you. I finished DQV and VIII and while in some part of them I did enjoy them, in at least the other half I thought it was a drag. I've said to myself that DQIX may be my last take on the Dragon Quest series but seeing that you feel like me towards the series and yet you're liking IX seems like a light of hope to me.
I'm yet to start it, as I'm alternating between Resonance of Fate and Dragon Age.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: