Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 12:26:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332801 Posts in 13635 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Dragon Quest IX
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Print
Author Topic: Dragon Quest IX  (Read 23952 times)
Tridius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: September 28, 2010, 10:06:07 AM »

Yup i've haven't been ignoring the DQVC since this week DQVC got me some Sainted Soma from there which i was finally able to make me an Agate of Evolution.  Though i wonder what next weeks will be?

Oh and my highest level Treasure Map is Lv. 78 Sapphire Maze of Regret (It's a Ruin Type grotto  completed)
Followed by a Lv. 75 Gold Tundra of Death, and Lv. 69 Silver Crypt of Woe which i received from quest 58  

But i did get a crappy map called Platinum Path of Joy Lv. 36 the other day.
But i do have three others that i need to start on and they're all crypt type grottoes/
One at Lv. 61, one at Lv 70, and the other Lv 77. Before i've started revocating.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 10:21:25 AM by Tridius » Logged
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: September 28, 2010, 01:13:38 PM »

Sometimes your highest level maps won't always be your best, treasure-wise.  I have a level 88 map that has much better treasure than any of my level 99 maps.

Funny because there's a thread about this here, but if you're trying to get yourself a good treasure map, I'd recommend notetaking.  Write down which chests give you what rank of treasure (the sticky on GameFAQs is excellent on telling you how to determine chest rank) as well as the floor and general location (IE "near exit, B8" or "top right, B12").
Tridius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: September 28, 2010, 03:06:06 PM »

Yeah i do that. for the treasure chests, and bosses so i can always go back there and hope for the rare item drop from the grotto bosses.

Including which maps that are good for leveling, and certain treasure ranked chests. So i can easily tell with the guide there at GameFAQ's which monsters spawn there.

I also prefer to use dragon's den site. for the chest ranks since they're easy to keep track of as well as the treasure map searcher there.

Chest Ranks
http://www.woodus.com/den/games/dq9ds/chest_ranks.php

Treasure Map Searcher
http://www.woodus.com/den/games/dq9ds/tms/
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 03:08:39 PM by Tridius » Logged
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: October 18, 2010, 09:23:15 AM »

Finished this game last week in about 70 hours and started the post game. Unfortunately, it seems the post game mostly involves "dungeon" diving into the Grottos to grind for rare drops. Doesn't seem too appealing to me.

Overall the game was a blast, even if it couldn't match the awesomeness of DQ8
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: October 18, 2010, 11:22:03 AM »

I'm stuck somewhere in DQ IV. I was playing regularly (finished the point where harry gets kicked out of the castle) and then put it down for a few months. Now I have no idea where to go. Went to every available town and talked to every NPC i could find.

Time to look at a guide :(
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: October 18, 2010, 11:33:41 AM »

Also, every post I say DQ IV I really mean V

:)
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: October 20, 2010, 09:09:02 AM »

Playing through some post game quests. Have received many quests to create items through alchemy without a recipe.

I felt that in DQ8 it was relatively easy to deduce the forumals for recipes. In this game I have no clue, the items and amounts used in the recipes just seems random.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: November 18, 2010, 11:48:49 PM »

Does anyone know how Dragon Quest IX compares to Dragon Warrior III? The latter was the only DQ game I really liked so far.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: November 18, 2010, 11:54:00 PM »

It pretty much is a DQ3 successor, and the only other game that plays most similar to it. Whether it's better or worse varies.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: November 19, 2010, 01:27:24 PM »

It pretty much is a DQ3 successor, and the only other game that plays most similar to it. Whether it's better or worse varies.

Well, that's certainly good to hear. I might pick it up when it gets cheap, then. Thank you.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: November 21, 2010, 12:43:20 AM »

I just got this game on Monday and have already dropped some serious time into it (~20 hours). I'm not sure if I'm going to go for a 100% completion rate on everything, but I do plan on spending a lot of time doing "extra" stuff. This makes me incredibly nostalgic for my first few RPG experiences, when everything felt so big and open. For the most part, DQIX nails it. the first few hours weren't exactly gripping, but that's about my only complaint. Oh, and the menus are slow when you're trying to sell stuff.

And yeah, 50,000 gold is nothing. I have 45,000, and that's after I died fighting Equinox and lost half of it.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: November 21, 2010, 02:26:17 AM »

Picked it up tonight, but I'm rushing headlong into exam season, so I won't be putting any serious time into this until Xmas at the earliest.

And Last Window is staying firmly planted in my DS until I finish it, and I play that little enough as it is.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: November 28, 2010, 01:25:07 AM »

Question - is it best to make a party as soon as possible and recruit them to fight with you, or do you meet people along the way?

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 28, 2010, 01:32:07 AM »

"Meet people along the way" means DLC quests you can't adequately tackle until you've made a good chunk of progress into the game. Go ahead and make your team.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: November 28, 2010, 03:16:05 AM »

"Meet people along the way" means DLC quests you can't adequately tackle until you've made a good chunk of progress into the game. Go ahead and make your team.

DLC as in multiplayer or actual DLC?

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: