Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2015, 10:01:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Have a great 2015 from all of us at RPGfan. :)
356021 Posts in 14459 Topics by 2262 Members
Latest Member: Yoru
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  why does first shift feel like a prison?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: why does first shift feel like a prison?  (Read 310 times)
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 10, 2015, 10:10:40 PM »

for most of my life i've worked 2nd shift jobs. now im working 1st and it feels way worse than 2nd ever did. it's like i get home around 5pm and i have 4-5 hours before i have to go to sleep. i dont get why it feels this way. with 2nd i could stay up till 6am if i wanted. its actually about the same time but i felt more free working 2nd shift. maybe it's partly because this is the first job i've had to commute to.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 10:24:25 PM »

for most of my life i've worked 2nd shift jobs. now im working 1st and it feels way worse than 2nd ever did. it's like i get home around 5pm and i have 4-5 hours before i have to go to sleep. i dont get why it feels this way. with 2nd i could stay up till 6am if i wanted. its actually about the same time but i felt more free working 2nd shift. maybe it's partly because this is the first job i've had to commute to.
Because you watch the day leave you, you wake at sunrise and leave at sunset. I always preferred overnight calls due to the fact that you generally come in and leave when it's still dark, but you can still experience the day to a degree depending on how much sleep you decide to skip out on.

TASTY!
natros
Misanthropic Humanist

Apathetically Awesome

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 09:45:18 AM »

Been working an 8-5PM shift for 13 years straight now. It certainly feels like the weekdays are wasted. Especially in the warmer months. However, working during the day allows me to see my wife and son in the evenings. It's the best balance for me, personally. Although, if I were single, I'd definitely prefer a later shift job.
Dincrest
Analogy spouting
RPGFan Editor

I approve of this nonsense!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 11:23:46 AM »

I work at a high school so my hours are about 7am-3pm and I love it.  I'm an early riser so it suits me well, plus I get time to do stuff in the evening before dinner.

I have nothing funny to say.
glassjawsh
insolent cur

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 11:38:43 AM »

I work 12-8 3 days a week and that suits me a lot better than the 930-6 I have to pull the other two days.  I tend to do my best thinking in the late evening/middle of the night.  When I was in school I usually wouldn't even start doing my homework/reading until well after 10pm.  In the early morning (read: before 9 am) I am usually about as functional and productive as a potato.  Working at noon works well for me because if I decide to stay up until 4 am (NO KIDS SUCKAS!) I can still sleep until 11 and not have any issues with work, but I also have the option of going to bed much earlier and getting up around 9.  This allows to me to have a morning first if that's what I want to do.  When I work early that's not an option because I have to rush everywhere in order to get in on time.

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 12:11:58 PM »

I work at a high school so my hours are about 7am-3pm and I love it.  I'm an early riser so it suits me well, plus I get time to do stuff in the evening before dinner.

I actually prefer working earlier because I'm NOT an early riser. It forces me to get up before I normally would and then I get home when I'm more prepared to enjoy being awake and have more time to get non-work stuff done.
mecharobot

Thunder of the dogs! INDIGNATION

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 12:49:45 PM »

Working the evenings was social suicide. Otherwise not bad at all and I had plenty of energy to do just about anything after work. The workload was also nicely balanced, usually so that there were actual things to do right away when arriving, but then easing up by afternoon. Nights, also not bad since it was quiet with little hassle anywhere, but afterwards my day activites always felt "on-the-clock" before getting ready to leave again. Mornings were worst, lots of stuff to do (with slow start and then heavy load of shit with nothing working and when things get working the shift changes) and those pesky other people were everywhere both at the job and causing traffic on the way and back. This always made me tired straight after.

I don't think I ever had a day job actually, but I could imagine living with it. It sound a lot better than like 05-13. I have all hours free every single day these days, which is also pretty bad for trying to be in synch with anything.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 12:52:47 PM by mecharobot » Logged
Dincrest
Analogy spouting
RPGFan Editor

I approve of this nonsense!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 04:37:15 PM »

I worked a 1-9:30 job when I graduated college.  It worked for me since I was so used to being a late-nighter in college, but I sometimes felt like I wasted the day away since I couldn't get any "normal people" stuff done outside of work. 

I like my 7-3. 

I have nothing funny to say.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 05:30:46 PM »

That's my other problem with working later shifts. I spend most of my morning distracted by keeping track of how long before I have to leave for work. Where earlier shifts I get up in time to get ready and leave and then come home and couldn't give two shits about what time it is.
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2015, 02:15:56 AM »

2-9-ish or 10-ish monday through wednesday, 11-3 or 4 and 4 or 5 to 9 or 10 friday through sunday so about 50-55 hours a week.
I generally have a lot of extra time to sleep, and after getting home I got plenty of time until I go to sleep around 2 to 4, but I still waste too much time online instead of playing video games.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2015, 09:16:36 AM »

I work 6am-2:30pm and I love it. I personally think second shift is terrible. Yes you get to sleep in, but you spend the day getting ready or wondering what time it is because you have to go to work. I get up early anyway, so my schedule, which I get to make myself, is perfect for me.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2015, 06:00:56 PM »

I've been off for the last 2 weeks...I'm fucking bored out of my mind and am ready to devolve to old "BAD" habits, like 5am video game splurges, midnight gym runs (horrible for the body), and the worst of them all, boredom eating. I got good about not eating simply because I was bored, but that's fat guy mentality. You get bored and you start thinking you feel hungry...

I meant to add that I'm totally thinking daytime is overrated.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 06:54:39 PM by Agent D. » Logged

TASTY!
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2015, 06:51:01 PM »

Summer of 2009, I was working as a custodian doing 10 hour shifts, four days a week, cause this meant every other weekend I got a four day weekend and it sounded great.

Turns out nope. There were other factors there but the job, specifically the shift timing, played a huge part in how completely gone my mind was for the rest of the year.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2015, 04:32:36 PM »

I don't work in shifts so I have no clear preference there, but I'm a morning person. I'm at the top of my game somewhere between 10 AM and 2 PM. Back in high school I'd get super sleepy somewhere around 3 PM and just kinda almost-sleep through my last period. Teacher would tell me to go to bed ealier and I'd tell them that was exactly what I was doing. Fortunately, my grades were good enough to keep me out of trouble.

Right now it's kinda crunchtime at a magazine and I'm staying up past midnight to get things done, but I'm somewhat worried I might miss some mistakes (our job right now is fixing other people's fuck-ups right before the deadline and I already spotted three big ones). (Don't worry, I have time to post this. Can't really do anything other than hanging out online and drinking tea before I get my next page.)

... Blah. I'm yawning.
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2015, 12:49:24 AM »

I've always been a night owl, but I work from 7:30 AM to 4:00 PM.  I miss sleeping, but I like having the late afternoon and evenings available to do errands and see my wife and all.  I think second shift would feel a lot more lonely.  I used to work in a restaurant where I didn't have to be in until 3-4 PM and while it meant I was constantly sleeping in, for the time I was awake I was constantly belaboring the fact that I had to work later. Now it feels like when I'm done work, the rest of my time is mine entirely.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: