Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 29, 2015, 02:37:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
362942 Posts in 14703 Topics by 2301 Members
Latest Member: FrustratedLeadingTone
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Unpopular Opinions on Popular Games
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Print
Author Topic: Unpopular Opinions on Popular Games  (Read 3125 times)
mecharobot

Thunder of the dogs! INDIGNATION

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: August 26, 2015, 09:42:40 PM »

On the topic of outdated battle system, there is also one for WRPGs. That isometric pseudo-real time one with the dice rolls. Awful. I don't think I have ever played one I enjoyed.
Dice
I'm fart and I'm smunny
AMG A GIRL

...AND STEVEN.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: August 26, 2015, 10:15:18 PM »

Nah, I admit the system had it's flaws, but it's presentation was certainly not one of them.

Oh most definitely.   In fact thinking about it, I can't think of a more flawless 'looking' battle system.  The font was a good size, the transitions and status bars were easy to read, the camera zoomed in and out to emphasize action when in needed and on the party other times, the UI was clean, etc.

I hope FF15 can take a few cues from that.

And yeah, I loved seeing Lightning to all those jumps and backflips. x)

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: August 26, 2015, 10:56:01 PM »

My problem with VNs is they're more "novels" than "games" and if I didn't want to be alliterate why would I eve be playing videogames, gosh!

Speaking of battle systems, why not get rid of them entirely and have a mechanic where you comfort and communicate with the bad guys enough so that you can calm them down and reason with them instead??????? that's not even ironic I mean you could turn this into a real goddamn mechanic in a lot of things, what if we had civ-style 4xes with proper dialogue trees and the best ending was getting everyone to ally with each other without any nation getting wiped out???

I MEAN I GUESS IT'S AN UNPOPULAR OPINION THAT I THINK A LOT OF GAMES (especially 4xen) TEND TO JUST BE POWER FANTASIES AND THAT'S KIND OF BORING AS HELL AT THIS POINT

and that's at least part of why I think Master of Orion 1's a lot smarter than 2 -- a conquest victory in MoO1, for all intents and purposes, is a Bad Ending.

Also I think Minecraft's sort of pointless and you're better of spending your time actually making something instead of playing a game about making something and it'd be damn cool if the /modern kids/ playing it would use it as a source of inspiration and actually go out and make something, but I don't think they really do. I've interacted with teenagers on Minecraft. They don't do shit. They mostly just hate black people.

Also Early Access is a horrible idea that's just dragging games further into the software-as-a-service tarpit.

--

... Although really, saying there are maybe 40 games I've managed to clock more than 10 hours on would be generous, I've never finished a game of a 4x, and I think getting maybe halfway through Alpha Centauri's the farthest I got on any of the genre. So my opinions are pretty baseless :S
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 11:34:03 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: August 27, 2015, 12:51:26 AM »

Verisimilitude is key for me, and a reason why I actually don't like a lot of WRPGs - there's just not the right balance of it, and it's often pretty generic. I probably won't be making any friends here, but I think FF VII has some of the absolute best verisimilitude in any game.

I...think I really agree with that, particularly the FF7 comment really struck me when I was playing it, I thought it was a contemporary-fantasy done very right.  All in all I find Japanese developers a lot more creative (admittedly, sometimes for better and sometimes for worse).

I agree that Japanese games are generally a lot more creative, but the Japanese also love a theatric presentation style which to me is basically the opposite of having verisimilitude. Of course, the Japanese are also willing to do the gritty/realistic fantasy sort of thing like the Ogre or Souls series whereas Western developers almost never diversify.

On the topic of outdated battle system, there is also one for WRPGs. That isometric pseudo-real time one with the dice rolls. Awful. I don't think I have ever played one I enjoyed.

I assume you're referring to the RTWP system. Personally I think it's between that or just turn based (I usually pause enough in the former system that turn based wouldn't really be that much different anyway) if you want to transfer the feeling of a tabletop RPG.  I honestly really like the RTWP system because it's really no different than playing a turn based game, it's just that normal attacks will happen without you inputting the command every single time and you can pause whenever you want to micromanage anything. The worst parts of these system, I find, has to do with the pathfinding. I don't think I played a single game that got that right.

Oh yeah, another unpopular opinion from me: I think Battletoads is easily the most overrated game from the NES. It has terrible balance/difficulty curve and it can't figure out if it wants to be a beat-em-up or a hardcore memory-based game. People kept circlejerking about how hard it was and that became the defining feature for why it's "good" even though it isn't even done that well. If I wanted a hard game on the NES there's a mountain of other games which are much better designed.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 12:54:24 AM by Hathen » Logged
Dincrest
Analogy spouting
RPGFan Editor

I approve of this nonsense!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: August 27, 2015, 06:24:04 AM »

FF7 remake with FFX's battle system would be my preference. 

I have nothing funny to say.
Arvis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: August 27, 2015, 11:21:29 AM »

FF7 remake with FFX's battle system would be my preference. 

This would be amazing.  Might make it harder to outfit every character with enough materia to make them useable (and relevant), though.

Current RPG - Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl
Nilson
Contributing Editor

Your mother and I think you should leave.

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: August 27, 2015, 04:52:40 PM »

I agree that Japanese games are generally a lot more creative, but the Japanese also love a theatric presentation style which to me is basically the opposite of having verisimilitude. Of course, the Japanese are also willing to do the gritty/realistic fantasy sort of thing like the Ogre or Souls series whereas Western developers almost never diversify.

Yeah, I see what you mean. Something like Skyrim has all these lore books and realistically sized towns, which certainly adds to it, but I think details like Cloud talking to the "train man" at the train station or Ness seeing Pokey's dad drunk off his rocker at the end of EarthBound are the -perfect- kind of details that just make a world pop.

It's my time of the night: http://nilson.itch.io/gravecamp
Chronus ate his children in the Dungeon of Love simply because he had no time to cook a proper meal, my man. He never read the guide to -Fast Food-...
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: August 27, 2015, 05:30:08 PM »

the name of this topic should be my user title. i dont even know where to begin.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: August 27, 2015, 06:11:56 PM »

FFX was like my favorite Square battle system ever and then they never used it again.

Although this is the unpopular opinions thread so I guess I should be saying that I'm glad they never used it again???

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: August 27, 2015, 07:06:38 PM »

FFX was like my favorite Square battle system ever and then they never used it again.

Although this is the unpopular opinions thread so I guess I should be saying that I'm glad they never used it again???

They just need to give back row characters at least some AP so that every battle doesn't devolve into a constant struggle between keeping every character rotated into and out of battle and "Sorry Kimari, Lulu, Wakka and Tidus; you're all off the team.".

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: August 27, 2015, 07:46:33 PM »

Xillia > Xillia 2
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: August 27, 2015, 09:15:59 PM »

Xillia > Xillia 2

Didn't like either, but I actually agree with that.

Another unpopular opinion on a related note:
The worst part of the Xillia games was the battle system.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: