Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2015, 07:12:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Have a great 2015 from all of us at RPGfan. :)
351760 Posts in 14327 Topics by 2253 Members
Latest Member: Intero
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Today's News
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] Print
Author Topic: Today's News  (Read 91033 times)
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #915 on: March 31, 2015, 07:42:58 PM »

I don't get pac-man. :(

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
glassjawsh
insolent cur

I play games. You shut your mouth.

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #916 on: April 07, 2015, 09:02:52 PM »

Welp Agent D.... care to explain away THIS one?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/08/us/south-carolina-officer-is-charged-with-murder-in-black-mans-death.html?_r=0

Pattern is a pattern is a pattern is a pattern is a pattern is a pattern is a pattern x forever

edit: the victim was arrested and convicted in 1991 for "possession of a bludgeon" which might be the coolest (and most RPG) sounding misdemeanor I have ever heard.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 09:07:44 PM by glassjawsh » Logged

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #917 on: April 07, 2015, 09:41:39 PM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/08/us/south-carolina-officer-is-charged-with-murder-in-black-mans-death.html?_r=0

Pattern is a pattern is a pattern is a pattern is a pattern is a pattern is a pattern x forever

edit: the victim was arrested and convicted in 1991 for "possession of a bludgeon" which might be the coolest (and most RPG) sounding misdemeanor I have ever heard.

...assholes are assholes, even if they wear a badge and claim to be working for our betterment.

TASTY!
glassjawsh
insolent cur

I play games. You shut your mouth.

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #918 on: April 09, 2015, 10:53:38 AM »

...assholes are assholes, even if they wear a badge and claim to be working for our betterment.

Mapping Police Violence reports that in March, 36 black people—one every 21 hours—were killed by cops.

read this: http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/the-police-are-americas-terrorists-1696463523

And it's only getting worse

Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #919 on: April 11, 2015, 02:22:04 PM »

I decided to do a bit of reading on the topic after seeing the video- it just seemed horrible, and I don't understand how something like that could happen. Unfortunately my experience with the news has often told me that they enjoy sensationalizing everything, especially something race-related.

So my understanding is that the actual big legal question here is whether or not what Slager actions are fitting of the conclusions from Tennessee v. Garner, that is, "did the officer have probable cause to believe that the suspect poses a significant threat of death or serious physical injury to the officer or others"? The knee-jerk reaction I first had on seeing that video was a very strong "no", I mean, the guy was unarmed, and running away.

But Tennessee v. Garner is actually specifically about suspects who are running away. The problem is that there are claims Mr. Scott was struggling for the officer's taser and (supposedly) tried to use it on Officer Slager before trying to run away, which, if true, is actually assault on an officer, which to my knowledge is classified as a felony. Different news sources claim different things (and frankly I don't find any of them particularly reliable when everyone's still upset about it) and this is probably something that will have to be settled in the courtroom.

I think after reading a bit, what scares me more than the fact that this happened is the fact that technically, the officer might've actually been doing something legally justifiable.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #920 on: April 11, 2015, 03:22:59 PM »

Mapping Police Violence reports that in March, 36 black people—one every 21 hours—were killed by cops.

read this: http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/the-police-are-americas-terrorists-1696463523

And it's only getting worse
I'm not gonna try to defend actions here, the police officers doing horrible shit only seem to be getting better at it. It kind of makes you think a bit though. Aren't these officers being terrible people just the people who were born in our generation? You become either an amalgamation of what you're exposed to or work hard to avoid becoming it entirely, and it seems like either of the options is making the police officers who stemmed from them power abusing assholes.

I still stand by the fact (yes fact) that the few officers we see being dicks doesn't even come close to the amount of upstanding, diligent, and overall well adjusted police officers of the US by a longshot. But again, it's becoming a harder task every day to defend certain things.

TASTY!
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #921 on: April 11, 2015, 05:57:01 PM »

Good cops don't stay long in the force because they get bullied by all the bad cops who band together.
Same thing with most women in the force.

It becomes a whole clique of you are either with us or against us.

I'm not just saying this too. My mom's career involved working with the police and she saw that stuff happening a lot.
They even bully non-cops like lab people or administration people (mostly if women).
Yoda
Fear is the Mind Killer

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #922 on: April 14, 2015, 06:56:37 PM »

I know quite a few female cops in Chicago and Milwaukee-burbs.

They're patrol too, not desk ladies
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #923 on: April 14, 2015, 07:57:06 PM »

I know quite a few desk ladies.

Genetic engineering has gone too far.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: