Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2016, 11:31:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
237238 Posts in 7075 Topics by 2350 Members
Latest Member: octorick
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Reviewing a bad game
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Reviewing a bad game  (Read 402 times)
missRPGirl

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2016, 08:19:15 AM »

Thank you guys for the advice. :D

Arvis
Prudish Gerontophobe

Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2016, 11:15:01 AM »

I only got to spend three days with Xenoblade Chronicles before I had to start writing. I think I managed to hit the 30 hour mark when I handed in my review.

That's like 20% of the game... :(

Current RPG - Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright
Tooker
Administrator

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2016, 11:21:49 AM »

Had you managed to get out of the first town yet? ;)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2016, 11:41:09 AM »

I made it all the way to the jungle area :D

So, yeah, that's like 1/3 of the game covered...
missRPGirl

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2016, 10:52:33 PM »

If anyone is interested in reading what I wrote for the game GameFAQs accepted it today. Let me know what you guys think of the writing. Also I'm sure if you look up my name on there, MissRPGirl you'll find the other review I wrote for a game. I'm going to see if I can write a review every 1-2 weeks with 800+ words. That's my goal.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/vita/124967-murasaki-mist-akaras-journey/reviews/162369

Arvis
Prudish Gerontophobe

Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2016, 09:51:27 AM »

If anyone is interested in reading what I wrote for the game GameFAQs accepted it today. Let me know what you guys think of the writing. Also I'm sure if you look up my name on there, MissRPGirl you'll find the other review I wrote for a game. I'm going to see if I can write a review every 1-2 weeks with 800+ words. That's my goal.

I read the whole thing.  Nice!  I have to say, though, you could really use a proofreader and/or editor.  Your structure and analyses are strong, but the writing itself is a bit sloppy: typos, missing pronouns, pluralization issues, etc. 
Overall, though, you did a great job getting across the sense of the game and its various flaws.  I knew nothing about the game going in and now I feel like I have a pretty good idea of how it plays and what it's about.

Current RPG - Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright
missRPGirl

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2016, 09:56:13 AM »

I read the whole thing.  Nice!  I have to say, though, you could really use a proofreader and/or editor.  Your structure and analyses are strong, but the writing itself is a bit sloppy: typos, missing pronouns, pluralization issues, etc. 
Overall, though, you did a great job getting across the sense of the game and its various flaws.  I knew nothing about the game going in and now I feel like I have a pretty good idea of how it plays and what it's about.

Thanks for the advice. I guess the sad part is that I actually do proofread a lot and I use an editor lol. I'm good at explaining but putting into words properly has always been a problem for me. But thank you for the critic I am glad that I am able to at least get my point across very well. Maybe I need to take a writing class?

EmeraldSword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2016, 10:35:40 AM »

Thanks for the advice. I guess the sad part is that I actually do proofread a lot and I use an editor lol. I'm good at explaining but putting into words properly has always been a problem for me. But thank you for the critic I am glad that I am able to at least get my point across very well. Maybe I need to take a writing class?

Do you use Grammarly? I use it for school and I love it. I don't know what platform you're using to write, yet I know it's 100x better than Microsoft Word's Grammar/Spellcheck.

Formerly OG, OrsonFury. Playing: Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright.
missRPGirl

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2016, 11:07:18 AM »

I was using the downloaded version of this https://www.languagetool.org/. I liked it because it would explain some of the mistakes I made. For example if I used the word "as" at the beginning of the sentence it would tell me that its a clause and I should probably have another sentence before that. Or another bad habit I have it writing "should of" instead of "should have." I'm not sure how much it picks up on but it seemed to do a pretty good job. I don't know if it works fully the same way when using it online, I downloaded it.

Now I have heard of Grammerly but I didn't feel like signing up for it once I found Language Tool.

Klyde Chroma
LVL. 44 Scratch ticket Ninja

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2016, 06:01:57 PM »

One thing that wasn't mentioned is deadlines.  Depending on what outlet you're writing for, you might have some kind of press deadline to adhere to so that may limit you to how much you play of a game. 

I have to give major respect to anyone going into gaming journalism for this ^^^ reason alone. I could never do it. I have a hard enough time swallowing the fact that I have deadlines with visual art as a tattooist, sculpter and graphic designer but I still have a blast with it.

I just could NEVER manage to strike a balance between work and pleasure with my games if I had to game like that.

I know its a job and somebodies gotta do it and all but it is simply beyond my capacity.

We will never know world peace until 3 people can simultaneously look each other in the eye.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: