Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2014, 08:05:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338410 Posts in 13853 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  The Helper Monkey
| | |-+  PSP Rpg's. Whatever will I buy?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: PSP Rpg's. Whatever will I buy?  (Read 2544 times)
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« on: July 13, 2010, 01:18:46 PM »

I'm posting this in the help section because I need some "Help" finding some that are worth my money.  There aren't a lot of hard copies of psp games in my area so I'm going to buy some pre-paid psn cards and download a few.  I'm thinking of Monster Hunter Freedom Unite and Hexyz Force but I know there are others for digital download.  Suggestions??

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Uru

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 04:07:56 PM »

Everyone seemed to enjoy Hexyz Force but me, it just felt like "another" psp rpg. Patapon 3 is coming out soon (if you want to call that an RPG), but other than that you might wanna grab Breath of Fire 3 (depending on where you live), Crisis Core, or maybe Half minute Hero.
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 04:17:26 PM »

I do not think that it is available for digital download but I really enjoyed Brave Story: New Traveller. If I had to describe it in a few words it would be "Fun" and Charming"

If you see a copy of it I would suggest picking it up although you may want to look up about it first. I am not exactly known for having the same taste in rpgs as the mojority of people.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 05:10:08 PM by Darilon » Logged

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 05:03:23 PM »

Currently playing Crimson Gem Saga and I'm liking it a lot.  It gets a little too fetch quest like at times, but I enjoy the game too much to let it bother me.  This comes as a big recommendation from me.

BoF3, Yggrdra Union, FF Tactics Advanced War of the Lions, Persona, Valkyria Profile (port of the first game), Wild Arms XF, Lunar, Star Ocean 1/2.  Lots to choose from. 
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 02:26:16 PM by Akanbe- » Logged

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 08:52:20 PM »

I'm sorry to say I have no idea what is available for download. But here are some of the RPGs I have on PSP. Give em a search on the PSN Store. I've tried to list stuff others haven't mentioned much yet.

[Highly Recommended]
-- Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core
-- Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth (A very unique experience and an excellent game)
-- PoPoLoCrois (A 'lite' RPG. But I adore it.)
-- Tales of Eternia

[Other Recommendations]
-- Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions (Turn Based. I thought this was a bit slow, honestly. But a lot of people love it.)
-- Jeanne D'Arc (Turn Based. Hard to find, but pretty good.)
-- Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure (Action RPG. A bit simple, but still fun.)
-- Star Ocean: First Departure (I hated it... but some people like it.)
-- Star Ocean 2: Second Evolution (see above.)

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 08:59:05 PM »

If we're talking PSN retro releases, add FF9 to that list, definitely. 

I would avoid Mimana Iyar Chronicle.  My review says it all.  That game was ass. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Uru

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 12:51:23 AM »

Currently playing Crimson Gem Saga and I'm liking it a lot.  It gets a little too fetch quest like at times, but I enjoy the game too much to let it bother me.  This comes as a big recommendation from me.

BoF3, Yggrdra Union, FF Tactics Advanced War of the Lions, Persona, Valkyria Profile (port of the first game), Wild Arms XF, Lunar, Star Ocean 1/2.  Lots to choose from. 

Man, I played that game for two hours that I want back. Crimson Gem Saga is so vanilla with every rpg trope being used. I like your other recommends though, lol.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 09:53:28 PM »

I thought the point of Crimson Gem Saga was that it made FUN of all the tropes it was using?

And Half-Minute Hero is a definite must buy.
Uru

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 10:10:13 PM »

Was it? Maybe I didnt play long enough for the sarcasm to kick in, cause all i got was a game taking itself too serious.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 04:30:33 PM »

I didn't think CGS took itself completely seriously at all.  It was subtle in its "parody" (for lack of a better word.)  What saved the game for me was Spinel.  Her voice actress totally brought it and she brought "fresh 'n sexy" back to what would have been a ho-hum familiar archetype. 

And I'll +1 Half Minute Hero as well.  It won our award last year for best PSP RPG.  It was a surprisingly tight race in that category, but we decided that originality should win out. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 02:31:41 PM »

Blah, fuck crimson gem saga.  I revoke my recommendation of Crimson Gem Saga. 

Tropes or not, it's seriously just one fetch quest after another.  You live by the crit and die by the crit.  Nevermind that weapons and armor get so stupidly expensive that you can eventually only buy 2 or 3 pieces; enemies still can still (and often do) kill you in one hit if they get a critical hit.  It's annoying that the only useful character is Spinel.  Half way through, everyone does shit for damage except her.  Hopefully I rack up some goddamn gold and can buy something for the monk so he does decent damage again.

</rant>

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2010, 11:41:47 PM »

All I've got so far is Persona 3 Portable. I do want to get Disgaea Infinite at some point though.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010, 03:26:07 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions. I've already finished Crisis Core and Jeanne D'arc.  I have some thinking to do now..

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2010, 03:52:19 PM »

There's no thinking involved.  Half-Minute Hero is the correct answer.
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2010, 05:13:55 PM »

Half minute hero is a great game but also very short. It is also pretty easy until Hero 300 and Hero 3.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: