Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 30, 2014, 12:26:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329971 Posts in 13522 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  UMDs Shelved for Good
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: UMDs Shelved for Good  (Read 1436 times)
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: July 15, 2006, 04:02:07 AM »

http://www.realtechnews.com/posts/3266

Movies anyway. Obviously taken from 8-bit Theatre's post about this stuff. Not sure if we've gone over this already, but as it's a recent thing, I figure not.

SO.

Who didn't see this coming?
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 04:40:57 AM »

I'll have to find other stories, but despite the headline I don't see anything flat out stating that /Sony/ has ended UMD. I've seen a similar story on GameSpot. and they're only reporting that while UMDs will still be made, they will make movies come free with memory stick duos as well.

Nevertheless, the format's life is limited for uses outside of video games. How the fuck did they expect this to succeed when only a video game system plays them, let alone the fact they're just mini-DVDs when they've already got cheap, affordable portable DVD players? I expect a few more monthes before Sony /officially/ shuts down production, espicially since it's going to be harder for them to sell them when no one else wants to.

Edit: The GameSpot story, for those curious. To be fair, that /is/ typical PR crap, but still means they're not officially scrapped yet.
JetEnduro

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 08:17:49 PM »

I bought a few of movies for my psp.They were pretty sweet but  they were mostly bare bones versions of dvd's you could most likely buy for cheaper.So it's not suprising there "being scaled back"
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 02:07:21 PM »

Gamespot story of Sony planning to make UMDs sell again.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: