Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 06:56:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319682 Posts in 13046 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Tales of Hearts Review
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Tales of Hearts Review  (Read 1244 times)
Cosign

View Profile

Ignore
« on: July 14, 2010, 07:35:44 PM »

http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Tales_of_Hearts/index.html

I've only played about the first 5 hours of the game before dropping it. It was mainly because I had a lot of difficulty reading the text. I didn't understand how to build my character and a sense of progression was lost to me because the leveling felt too linear (or that I didn't know exactly how my character was being improved).

My other gripe was the combat system. I just could not understand why I am mashing my special attack button 16-20 times in a row and stun-locking my enemies. It felt... like cheating. It felt like there was no strategy to it. I must have been playing it wrong. I don't know.

I do agree with Andrew though on the story. The characters were pretty heart-felt to me. Early in the game you quickly realize that this is serious.

Lastly there is a simplified Chinese translation patch out there somewhere, for those who are that way inclined. Thanks for the review.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 10:40:52 PM »

I just could not understand why I am mashing my special attack button 16-20 times in a row and stun-locking my enemies. It felt... like cheating. It felt like there was no strategy to it.

Welcome to JRPGs.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 11:59:45 PM »

Thanks for reading my review! :D

I've only played about the first 5 hours of the game before dropping it. It was mainly because I had a lot of difficulty reading the text. I didn't understand how to build my character and a sense of progression was lost to me because the leveling felt too linear (or that I didn't know exactly how my character was being improved).

Levelling just does some basic stat increases for you. It's the Soma Build that really builds your character up. There's an option in the main menu where you can improve your weapons (Soma). By picking the green, blue, or red upgrade you'll get more artes, support skills, or stat boosts respectively.  Shing, for example, I find generally benefits from a mostly red upgrade with a few green levels thrown in here and there. Where I found Beyrl to be more useful with a bigger range of spells through using green and blue. It all depends on how you want battles to pan out. There's not really any right or wrong choice. Though going pure blue might be a bit of a challenge...

If you ever feel like picking it up again, check out this walkthrough:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/950188-tales-of-hearts/faqs/55254

It gives pretty good info on each segment of the story and great info on how the game works. It doesn't go line-by-line in the script or anything, so having decent Japanese language skills is highly useful still, but it gives you a better feel of what's going on if your Japanese isn't great. I referred to it from time to time when something confused me.

My other gripe was the combat system. I just could not understand why I am mashing my special attack button 16-20 times in a row and stun-locking my enemies. It felt... like cheating. It felt like there was no strategy to it. I must have been playing it wrong. I don't know.

If you've only played about 5 hours, you're still pretty early on. Overall, it's not a difficult game anyway. But in the first part of the game it's especially easy. You'll find, as you go, that those abilities your using now won't do enough damage to enemies soon enough. You'll be then forced to assign new ones which require more EG to use. Once your EG bar runs out, you're basically a sitting duck while you wait for it to refill. So you have to be careful about using your best skills all the time.

Bosses can be especially hard. The second half of the game has some surprisingly challenging bosses that will wipe the floor with you unless you understand what attacks you're using and which ones link well together.

I do agree with Andrew though on the story. The characters were pretty heart-felt to me. Early in the game you quickly realize that this is serious.

I adore most of the characters. I never really felt that much love for Innes or Beyrl, but the rest (non-party included) I thought were pretty damn good. At only five hours in, the best is still to come! :)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 12:02:18 AM by FlamingR1ft » Logged

ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 08:58:30 AM »

Thanks for reviewing it. Good to finally see a review up there. And it's also good to see another person who really enjoyed it. Because I must admit, it is indeed one of my favourite games on the DS. It needs a localization!!

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 09:16:13 AM »

Thanks Shadow! I remember you wrote a pretty positive review for it on GameSpot, right?

Totally agree on the localisation too. But the odds of it happening are highly unlikely. Speculation is because so much of the game is voice acted and they don't want to have to dub it. Couple that with potentially low sales and it really doesn't look good. Mind you, these low sales aren't helped by the fact that retailers stock so few copies. Plus, Namco Bandai seem to just be a bit lazy when it comes to organising an English release. Along with Hearts I'd love it if they localised Rebirth as well.

ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 09:48:57 AM »

Yeah, I did review it quite a while ago (quite positively, indeed). I think it's been nearly a year since I did it.

Considering that Tempest and Innocence haven't been localised either, that pretty much determines the fate of an English ToH. And yeah, a majority of the game is voice-acted. Also, seeing as that the sales of Tales games have never been very high outside Japan, that's probably another reason why they wouldn't translate it and release it locally. And I agree. Rebirth would also make a great localisation. I should give that an import sometime in the future.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Cosign

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 06:50:08 AM »

Okay. I think I will pick this up again. Tales of Innocence got a fan translation patch I believe.
Plus, Namco Bandai seem to just be a bit lazy when it comes to organising an English release. Along with Hearts I'd love it if they localised Rebirth as well.

What IS the story with Namco Bandai's localization efforts this gen? So disappointing. I guess they are completely done with moving Japanese games in foreign territory.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 02:20:36 AM »

Okay. I think I will pick this up again. Tales of Innocence got a fan translation patch I believe.
Plus, Namco Bandai seem to just be a bit lazy when it comes to organising an English release. Along with Hearts I'd love it if they localised Rebirth as well.

What IS the story with Namco Bandai's localization efforts this gen? So disappointing. I guess they are completely done with moving Japanese games in foreign territory.

Same as they were every other gen. So disappointing.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 02:42:32 AM »

it wouldn't really need to have dubbing or voice acting at all especially because it's handheld, but it is obviously expected with any localization

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: