Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 12:20:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338025 Posts in 13841 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Where Should I Begin?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Where Should I Begin?  (Read 2401 times)
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2010, 06:47:24 PM »

DQ battles are third person. Your characters are just hiding behind the menus.

I don't think you understand the concept of third-person vs first-person perspective. :P

FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2010, 08:46:50 PM »

That said, I did actually enjoy playing Dual Strike, it's just that the overall quality of the product really is in the toilet when compared to the other games available.

Oh, I totally agree about the balance. It was ridiculous. But I reckon the game as a whole was so much fun. To me that's more important. I felt Days of Ruin wasn't interesting or fun or anything in-between.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2010, 09:57:01 PM »

My personal favorites are Contact,

Your mileage may vary on that one. The combat's not very involved (although there's strategy involved, it's almost entirely equipment choices and stuff), it's theoretically grindy, Mochi is useless, and the entire thing is very... odd, it really plays a lot like a trippy-ass oldschool DOS RPG. If you want a lot of cohesion/coherence and amazing combat, probably avoid it. If you like games where you can freely dick around and experiment with stuff though, you might like it. Personally I love it. It's very... Yume Nikki-ish in a sense, with a bit of Ultima Online.

Anyway, what else?

Dragon Quest 5. See, DQ4 is fun, but it's a crappy translation (Seriously. The accents suck and they axed party chat which took out half the game's chat) and it's sort of cut down from the PSX remake it was based on. DQ5 on the other hand has all the gameplay features of the PS2 remake (Except it has DQ7-style graphics which actually work better), and the translation's a lot better too. And it just feels a lot... smoother. More balanced. More polished. More directed.

Front Mission - Unlike FM3 only missiles and grenades are actually ranged and the skill system is greatly reduced which... it's a lot simpler than FM3 but this works for the best, I think. Also the story isn't stupid.

TWEWY - This is probably the best thing Square has made in... um... This is better than most things Square has made.

SMT Strange Journey - As much as I could complain about a few really dumb and bizarre design choices Atlus made here, I still completely recommend it.

There's probably others I'm forgetting.

Oh and Bangai-O spirits isn't an RPG but it's fun.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2010, 11:12:30 PM »

Front Mission - Unlike FM3 only missiles and grenades are actually ranged and the skill system is greatly reduced which... it's a lot simpler than FM3 but this works for the best, I think. Also the story isn't stupid.

That is until someone learns that aim missile skill at which point the game is basically over.

Also how is "turning people into computer chips" not stupid? (Although I'll give it that its not nearly as stupid as a lot of other stuff out there like most of the suggestions thus far are.) The game's plot is like a typical Gundam plot but with less wanton death and destruction.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2010, 12:42:06 AM »

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions. I guess part of my indeciveness stems from why I stopped playing games in the first place. I grew a little bored with the monotony and trappings of many RPGs. However, since I've taken a break, I think I want something in the middle of traditional JRPG and totally innovative. The Dragon Quest series is something I'd definitely like to explore, but it looks so traditional I'm afraid it might scare me away from the genre again, especially if it's the first thing I jump into; conversely, The World Ends With You, despite how highly it gets praised, might not be nostalgic enough for me. Is there a game that falls in the middle?

Can anyone recommend Super Robot Taisen OG?

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2010, 12:58:47 AM »

If it's a "middle of the road" RPG you seek, then definitely avoid Infinite Space.  It's definitely out there and a bit obtuse.  By the same token, games like Nostalgia and Black Sigil are very traditional and not at all original (though I did like Black Sigil.)  I think Atelier Annie would be a good bet here because it certainly has old-school charm but offers a novel experience that flips the script in some ways.  And Shin Megami Tensei is one series that rekindles the flame of even the most jaded JRPG players, so Strange Journey's worth a look too. 

Although it's not an RPG, my personal favorite DS game is Trace Memory (fantastic, if short, graphic adventure that utilizes all the DS's tricks and has a cool story). 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2010, 01:19:22 AM »

I dunno, I think Dragon Quest just plain does the traditional RPG better than most everyone else. Glory of Heracles didn't really keep me glued (though that may be due to there being several other RPGs I wanted to get through more), and we've seen stuff like Nostalgia get horribly shot down. On paper Dragon Quest isn't really that different from those games, but it's reliably been able to keep me engrossed whereas those don't.

But yeah, if you were to go for a traditional RPG they're the ones I'd go for, otherwise look at something more unorthodox (like Megami Tensei titles).
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 08:16:58 AM by Eusis » Logged
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2010, 01:23:43 AM »

Although it's not an RPG, my personal favorite DS game is Trace Memory (fantastic, if short, graphic adventure that utilizes all the DS's tricks and has a cool story).

Is kinda hard to find a copy of the game nowadays but it's totally worth it. Also, Rhythm Heaven. Lots of fun. :)

About Dragon Quest, I don't know what to tell you to be honest. The games are good, but it's everything about patience and reward with the Dragon Quest games.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2010, 03:47:10 AM »

Can anyone recommend Super Robot Taisen OG?

I cannot in good faith allow you to play the DS SRT game.  It's awful.  The only SRT games that should be played are the SRPG ones.
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2010, 04:26:36 AM »

Oh and Bangai-O spirits isn't an RPG but it's fun.

wikipedia says: "Upon completing all of the stages under "Treasure's Best" in free mode, a brief cutscene will play, with one of the characters saying "We're only here because the fanboys would throw a fit on the internet if the game didn't have an ending.""
do you know if this is true?
if it is, I'm so going to get it someday particularly because of that line

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
spikyhairjon

Let's Survive!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2010, 08:35:34 AM »

Little Red Riding Hood's Zombie BBQ is great, wacky, non-rpg DS title.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2010, 11:15:48 AM »

That is until someone learns that aim missile skill at which point the game is basically over.

Also how is "turning people into computer chips" not stupid? (Although I'll give it that its not nearly as stupid as a lot of other stuff out there like most of the suggestions thus far are.) The game's plot is like a typical Gundam plot but with less wanton death and destruction.

Well yeah but even then, afaik, the missile range isn't the entire damn map. Which is what it seemed like it was half the time in FM3.

Also FM3's story was just like beyond braindead. I shouldn't have said the story wasn't stupid. I just mean it wasn't AS stupid as FM3's, although that's not saying much.

Actually I don't even recall if I like FM1 or not. I have noidea why I recommended it.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: