Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 05:57:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334803 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Inception
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Inception  (Read 3829 times)
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2010, 03:47:37 AM »

I liked it.

Some things confuse me a bit...

I'm not sure I understand why the operation was supposed to be more dangerous. My understanding was that because of the deep sleep they were in (caused by chemicals), dying in said dream would cause their consciousness to lose its way, thus basically sending them into a coma.

After that, when Fischer/Saito was killed in the third layer, why did that cause him to sink into a deeper layer? Or was it that he simply lost consciousness and began dreaming? If that's the case, why would he fall into the dream that Cobb created, or are we supposed to assume that this happened because they had not planned out a fourth layer, and it drew upon the only member in the group dream that had experienced it before?

If the "kicks" are supposed to be performed on the level above you (to disrupt inner ear, IE Vestibula function to make you feel off balance), why did they simply hop off a ledge in the fourth layer? Then again, I've had dreams where I've felt like I was falling, then my entire body jerked as I awoke (Surprised they didn't put that since a lot of people seem to have had such an experience before). Of course, if falling in the actual dream can also wake you up, you'd think the architect would design the layers so that there are easy places for them to jump out once they finish their task each layer. Funny thing is, if balance disruption is all it took to awaken from the next layer, crashing around a van would probably be more than enough to cause that...but I'm just being nitpicky. =P

I'm just confusing myself more thinking about all this.

Overall, best movie I've seen all year.
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2010, 01:55:56 AM »

Code:
As to why they jumped out the building, I am pretty sure it was the whole if you die in a dream you wake up kind of thing, and they didn't fear getting trapped because at that point all of those kicks were being triggered so they weren't in deep sedation mode.

The Saito death thing I definitely didn't understand.

The van falling in midair being off balance would be true, if they were awake in that layer, that was the issue.  If they had managed to wake up at the moment that the van hit the rail and they were falling, I think that would have been enough.

These are all guesses at the very least.  One thing I liked about the movie is how deep the explanations go.  Which is hardly deep at all.  It makes it more believable I think anyway.  It's like they just throw you into a world where all this is possible and don't really tell you why or how and don't try to.  And all the dangers that come about, they describe them as if we're already supposed to understand them.  Really genius I must say.  I really want to go see this movie again.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2010, 02:39:59 PM »

Code:
Because of Cobb's experience in Limbo before, the limbo they entered was his. He was basically "infecting" the dream world with his own presence, and the "death" purgatory/limbo was his world he created with his wife. It was so superimposed by his presence that others went to it when they died in the dream.

The jumping/jolting thing is not what wakes them up alone, its when it happens with the presence of that specific piece of music. I'm pretty sure it has to be a powerful jolt too.

I think the term you're looking for is "movie of the forever."

Come on man, I wouldn't go THAT far. The movie was good but it was definitely flawed with the modern Hollywood cliches they imposed into it, but hey, that's just being part of the times I suppose.

At least it was the damn closest thing we'll ever get to Psychonauts: The Movie.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 02:46:47 PM by Thoren » Logged
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2010, 07:58:48 PM »

OK, finally saw the movie, so I'm finally reading this thread.  I've seen Memento, Fadedsun - I liked it too.  When I was in India a while ago, I picked up the DVD of the Bollywood remake, Ghajini.  Being a Bollywood movie, it's mighty different.  (And yeah, I know that Aamir Khan says it's not a remake of Memento.  He's free to be as deluded as he wants to be - that movie's a remake.)

I enjoyed Inception, especially the scene CastNuri said.  That was awesome.  Thought it was funny and cool that Fischer was the same guy who played Scarecrow in Batman.  Guess Nolan liked him!  (I do too, so that's cool.)

Sorry to say, though, that my wife and I both found the ending entirely predictable.

Code:
"Oh, is it real?  Is it a dream?  Who knows!  Will the top stop spinning?"  That thing would have stopped spinning WAY before the screen went black.  Also, if it was real, why were his kids in exactly the same pose, in exactly the same clothes, at exactly the same age that they were in his memory?  Has he only been on the lam for a month?  Given Michael Caine's reaction to seeing him, that seems incredibly unlikely.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
jphussey

hussman12
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2010, 04:36:22 PM »

Does predictability hurt the ending?

I don't think so.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2010, 06:55:34 PM »

I knew the ending before I saw it, didn't have any affect on me.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2010, 08:31:48 PM »

during most of this movie, all of its epicness made me confused.

Code:
about that ending, maybe the top not falling over but looking like it would at some point was a suggestion of a new place between reality and dream?

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2010, 06:14:04 PM »

Finally got around to this and it's a fantastic movie. I want to see it again.

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2010, 07:15:47 PM »

I love how in sync your avatar and that glass of water are.  At least as I watched, the water thudded right when the slime did. :)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
the.impending.autumn
AMG A GIRL

.heroine.of.time.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2010, 01:11:09 AM »

Fantastic movie!  The first mind-fuck film I've seen that bends the brain by showing the truth, not stretching it.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: