Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2014, 03:50:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331601 Posts in 13576 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Maybe it's the weed - but I find this horribly amusing...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Print
Author Topic: Maybe it's the weed - but I find this horribly amusing...  (Read 16537 times)
Dincrest
A-class rider (in training)
RPGFan Editor

I smile when I climb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2010, 08:49:06 PM »

Still, I like the idea that in those tribal cultures, the concept of homosexuality was not viewed as some sort of evil anomaly that needed to be culled out.  It was viewed in a positive and pragmatic way. 

I also once saw a documentary about the "third gender" concept focusing on the ladyboys in Thailand, the Hijras in India, the equivalent in Samoa, etc.  What stuck with me was that even though Samoa is a heavily Christian nation, culturally if a boy lost his virginity to one of those "third gender" 'ladyboys' it was not considered a homosexual act.  After all, he wasn't having sex with a man, he was having sex with a third-gender. 

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2010, 09:20:55 PM »

I think I've seen bits of a similar documentary, actually. I remember some interviews with the Hijras in India.

It's becoming increasingly difficult for me to express anti-homosexuality views in this day and age. I can understand why-- most people who believe that homosexuality is wrong can be very insulting and extreme about their views (it reflects a fear or insecurity within themselves, maybe), so they're just assumed to be intolerant jackasses from the getgo. Eitherway, I found those links pretty funny. Especially the one to the imdb boards. :P

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2010, 09:24:33 PM »

Dices threads always seem to take a different direction than she probably indented...

I think the last one went off on a tangent about Indian food and now it seems to be going the way of drugs.

speaking of indian food, is a place considered "indian" if only indians work in said place but not have any association with food that originates from that country?
that was probably a bad, insensitive question but it's really been bugging me

I can genuinely say I prefer calmed stoners to drunken losers.

that seems a little unfair since I've heard of drunks that are friendlier while being drunk than being not drunk at all.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2010, 09:36:09 PM »

"speaking of indian food, is a place considered "indian" if only indians work in said place but not have any association with food that originates from that country?
that was probably a bad, insensitive question but it's really been bugging me"

Um, well. There is a family of Chinese people in my town who run a chip shop. And we don't call it the Chinese Chip Shop. So, my answer would be no. Unless it serves Indian food, it isn't an Indian resteraunt. It's a resteraunt, or whatever-kind-of-food-they-serve-araunt

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2010, 02:15:04 AM »

Yeah, the best steakhouse in my town is run by a middle aged Japanese woman. Noone's gonna call "The Roundup Steakhouse" asian food.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2010, 03:00:00 AM »

I suppose I'm flattered.  I'd like to consider it a free chance to spam, and a way to freely socialize more openly, then by a topic-by-topic basis.

When it comes to weed, I personally feel the taboo is much to strong (and I do it very very occasionally anyways).
That, and I work at a bar.  I can genuinely say I prefer calmed stoners to drunken losers.  Either way, both make you dumb.

You know what's also Taboo? Dating guys over the RPGfan.com forums B)
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

I smile when I climb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2010, 07:00:34 AM »

Some of the best sushi I ever had was prepared by a Mexican cook (who was probably taught sushi from another Mexican cook who was taught by a Japanese.)  Best French food?  Very likely a Mexican cook.  Best contemporary American diner food?  Has to be a Mexican cook.  I'm also willing to bet that the best restaurant Indian food I had was prepared by a Mexican cook. 

The great chefs aren't your Bobby Flay, Wolfgang Puck, Masaharu Morimoto, or Eric Ripert.  The great chefs are Carlos, Jorge, Miguel, and Alejandro running all those kitchens.  They're superhuman.  Any random Mexican line cook plucked from a local diner would completely destroy the culinary competition on shows like Top Chef or Iron Chef.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2010, 07:11:43 AM »

Some of the best sushi I ever had was prepared by a Mexican cook (who was probably taught sushi from another Mexican cook who was taught by a Japanese.)  Best French food?  Very likely a Mexican cook.  Best contemporary American diner food?  Has to be a Mexican cook.  I'm also willing to bet that the best restaurant Indian food I had was prepared by a Mexican cook. 

The great chefs aren't your Bobby Flay, Wolfgang Puck, Masaharu Morimoto, or Eric Ripert.  The great chefs are Carlos, Jorge, Miguel, and Alejandro running all those kitchens.  They're superhuman.  Any random Mexican line cook plucked from a local diner would completely destroy the culinary competition on shows like Top Chef or Iron Chef.

lol, this is so true
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2010, 08:28:57 AM »

Some of the best sushi I ever had was prepared by a Mexican cook (who was probably taught sushi from another Mexican cook who was taught by a Japanese.) Best French food? Very likely a Mexican cook. Best contemporary American diner food? Has to be a Mexican cook. I'm also willing to bet that the best restaurant Indian food I had was prepared by a Mexican cook.

The great chefs aren't your Bobby Flay, Wolfgang Puck, Masaharu Morimoto, or Eric Ripert. The great chefs are Carlos, Jorge, Miguel, and Alejandro running all those kitchens. They're superhuman. Any random Mexican line cook plucked from a local diner would completely destroy the culinary competition on shows like Top Chef or Iron Chef.

mexican is a funny word, too
I'm sure a lot of mexican chefs are actually able to make really big expensive restaurants that way while (probably white people) take credit for it.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2010, 05:38:02 PM »

The great chefs aren't your Bobby Flay

PUT MANGO CHUTNEY ON EVERYTHING.

IS THAT A DEAD BABY?

PUT SOME FUCKING MANGO CHUTNEY ON IT.

SHIT YEAH, BOYEEEES.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2010, 07:36:13 PM »

Instead of saying how wrong you are I'll show you the best chef of all
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFelfDbkzm4
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2010, 08:00:35 PM »

I'm more about humble Japanese cooking.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOJy7i5t0co

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2010, 11:05:33 PM »

that was slightly disturbing.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

I smile when I climb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2010, 07:27:37 AM »

After seeing Thoren's video, I initially thought Dice's "Cooking With Dog" video would have dog as the ingredient. 

But as much as we may go "eww" at some stuff, plenty of cultures have weird food.  Even in America.  Chitlins anyone?  It's basically deep fried pig rectum. 

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2010, 07:49:30 AM »

After seeing Thoren's video, I initially thought Dice's "Cooking With Dog" video would have dog as the ingredient. 

But as much as we may go "eww" at some stuff, plenty of cultures have weird food.  Even in America.  Chitlins anyone?  It's basically deep fried pig rectum. 

At least the rectum isn't beating.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: