Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2014, 05:33:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340887 Posts in 13930 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The world is coming to an end!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: The world is coming to an end!  (Read 2753 times)
Perley
Gunslinger Extraordinare

You feelin' lucky, punk

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: July 19, 2010, 09:19:19 AM »

I was flipping through the channels yesterday, being bored on a Sunday and procrastinating a little, when I stopped on Discovery channel for the end of some doomsday prophecy program. I'm not sure why people are so fascinated with the end of all things, but lately it's been getting annoying. Between documentaries and movies, I'm getting sick of this. I'm not a very spiritual person so I have no real belief that some special year is going to be the dramatic end of life as we know, whether it be 2012 or whatever. This constant bombardment of "the end is neigh" bullshit is now feeling like some people just wanna line their pockets while the getting is good. The obligatory sceptic in that Discovery program even said something along those lines.

I mean look at the track record of so called "end of days" prophecies. Every time someone said the world is gonna end in like 3 or 4 or 5 years, they've always been wrong. So it's not much to go on. As for these people who see an uncanny resemblance in what some guy with a long white beard said centuries ago, I think they're full of shit. It's so convenient to draw conclusions and parallels after the fact. Often time these things are so ambiguous and general that you could draw similarities in almost anything you see fit. They fabricate farfetched patterns and make things fit. I think if you want to prove the validity of such things, tell me something that they say is going to happen, with specific details, on some specific time frame. And if said thing happens, I'll be happy to eat my words. But the specificity better be detailed, cause more generalities don't cut it. In short, on this point, I think people put too much stock in this instead of focusing on whats here and now. As some counter point, I suppose such beliefs can put the here and now into perspective for some people (as in live now because the world could end tomorrow). As I'm such a strong believer in technology, I sometimes tend to put a lot of stock in it's future and turn to today as the gateway to that future. In defence to that, at least it's quantifiable.

I brought up my belief in the techno bit partly for the reason that towards the end of the Discovery program, they offered up this US government web search engine that searches the web/communications for "seeded keywords" and outputs them for review. Some guy that was programming for it started to notice "patterns" in output before the 9/11 attacks; yet again after the fact. Now they're toting this as some sort of techno prophet. It's a god damned word search engine of the fucking internet. Since the internet is created by people and you can basically find just about anything you want here, it's no wonder you can find those words popping up at any given time.

So what's everyone else's opinion on the doomsday propaganda?
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 09:57:35 AM »

I think you pretty much said it. It is nonsense and if you believe it you are a gullible fool. I'm only 18 and I've already lived through two Doomsdays and an encroaching third in two years.

If there was going to be a dramatic event that destroyed all civilization and probably wipes out our race. It will be sudden, without warning and will not be predictable 3-4 years in advance.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 10:19:06 AM »

People keep saying 12/21/2012 11:11 PM is the end of the world because the Mayan Calendar said so.

The Mayan Calendar simply says "12/21/2012 11:11 PM" is the birth of a new era, which doesn't necessarily mean "OMG END OF THE WORLD".

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 10:41:08 AM »

Look the world is going to come to an end eventually. Who are you to tell the world when it can and can't die?
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 01:17:12 PM »

While I do believe in a prophesied doomsday, I don't really focus on it. Even religiously speaking, signs or no signs, only God Himself knows the time. No point in fretting-- when it happens, it will happen. I agree that people should keep their minds on the present instead of what they might consider the inevitable future.

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 01:22:28 PM »

My guess is if the world does end in 2012 it will be a self fulfilling prophecy. Some person could just be sitting at his/her computer and be thinking to themselves "hmm so I have two more years until the deadline, better hurry".

Perley
Gunslinger Extraordinare

You feelin' lucky, punk

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 02:16:57 PM »

I don't doubt the world will end someday. I just don't believe that it's within the human capacity to predict it. Anyone who says otherwise is talking out their ass. Since the Bible is the word of God told to man, then of any literature that would be the one exception in my mind. Again I'm not a spiritual person now, but I was Christen for a number of years and that's what you're led to believe. In any case even Revelations doesn't go so far as to give an exact date. It just says what's gonna happen when that day comes.
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 03:40:33 PM »

Psh everyone knows the world ends in 2121, when the overlord noodle beasts of tweenis twelve come to shart their devil curry in a rain of apocalyptic fire.  See I can make up bullshit to, at least mine sounds fun.  Naw, I figure it ends when it ends, and im just gonna keep doing what im doing.  I mean unless something insane happens thats so undeniably obvious to me that this is when the world ends, im just gonna nod and listen.  I mean at worst, its a bunch of obnoxious fear mongering, at best, its a fun tale.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 03:44:41 PM »

Psh everyone knows the world ends in 2121, when the overlord noodle beasts of tweenis twelve come to shart their devil curry in a rain of apocalyptic fire.  See I can make up bullshit to, at least mine sounds fun.  Naw, I figure it ends when it ends, and im just gonna keep doing what im doing.  I mean unless something insane happens thats so undeniably obvious to me that this is when the world ends, im just gonna nod and listen.  I mean at worst, its a bunch of obnoxious fear mongering, at best, its a fun tale.

There. You heard it from a Prophet. Case Closed.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 04:17:47 PM »

As long as no one preses the end of the world button, we will be alright.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 04:27:39 PM »

I pressed the button.

Proving once again that I am but a simple organism who cannot resist a big red button.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 05:29:10 PM »

1. Find a gullible chick.
2. Tell her the world is going to end in 2012.
3. Wait until December 2011.
4. Holy shit 2011 is next year.
5. Is this the future?
6. Man Pokemon fucking came out in the 90s.
7. This was going to be a joke about blowjobs but i mean, goddamn. It's the FUTURE.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 06:31:49 PM »

I understand that it's a fascinating subject but it's definitely getting old. Best case scenario: the world will end when the sun dies, that's hundreds of millions of years away. I don't think life on earth will last that long though, mankind will see to that. All these prophecies and stuff are obviously nonsense but it still brings the masses to the theater as long as you have some good special effects to go with it.
Oh! And don't forget the 3D! It wouldn't be an apocalypse without it!

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2010, 09:03:02 PM »

my prediction is that the end does not come yet again, and they will quickly come up with the supposed next day the world ends. repeat cycle until we kill the planet either enviornmentaly or by nuking
<-------------Agonist
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 09:07:07 PM by Chronix112 » Logged
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2010, 10:11:30 PM »

Code:
if it was going to end recently or soon, it should have happened sometime this year (a reference to persona 3)
besides that, it would maybe end in 2020, like this one book apparently said at one point
though, I think it's full of crap like that problem with computers around 10 years ago
documentaries about stuff like this are fascinating for me, so I don't mind it

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: