Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 09:51:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335255 Posts in 13727 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Just started Strange Journey...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Just started Strange Journey...  (Read 4900 times)
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« on: July 19, 2010, 05:37:32 PM »

...and JESUS is this game hard.  I just feel like I'm doing everything wrong.  Every battle is a damn struggle and I just got wiped out because the level layout prevented me from retreating.  I was stomped because I had to move forward.  Does the game relax with the difficulty or do I have this ass kicking to look forward to the whole way?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 05:44:15 PM by PaleRobbie » Logged
Kyle E.
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 05:56:23 PM »

If you find the beginning difficult, you might never beat the game.

"The things that make us happy make us wise."
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 05:57:29 PM »

The difficulty comes and goes. It is of moderate difficulty most of the time, rarely easy, sometimes hard.

If I had to give you a tip, it would be to not get attached to your demons. You are going to be fusing very very often and having a favourite and wanting to keep it is never going to help you. A level 19 demon will easily kick a level 17 demons ass.

Also, gather as much materials as you can, keep your weapons/armour as high as powerful as you can too.

If you do that the only difficulty you will have is probably long labyrinthine dungeons and running out of healing items, forgetting to bring that item that takes you back to base, or just being insta-deathed by a mudo/hama skill.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 06:05:05 PM »

It does have certain jumps in difficulty. The first is probably in the first area where B2 stops being an ice cave and becomes a war torn city.

What I mainly do is try to map out the entire area in short journeys. By the time you finish that area's map you should have gained a few levels. Take your time and try to get a healer and a buffer/debuffer. Also  check to see have you unlocked any new weapons or armour. You may not need them but grinding is always easier when you have a goal.

One thing to avoid is constantly talking to demons in which you already own one. If you keep doing this the lack of exp will really come back to haunt you.

supersonic
Prefers JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 06:05:59 PM »

I actually thought the first few sectors were pretty easy....I don't think the random battles ever actually get really hard, but a few of the later bosses are pretty difficult.
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 06:11:21 PM »

I'm just not a fan of getting thrown to the wolves right after learning how to play the damn game.  This B2 area is just teeming with death, and it wasn't fun to realize I was completely screwed when I started to press forward.  I'll probably take a break for a day and then come back to it.  Still drained from all that DQ9 last week. 
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 09:32:58 PM »

I also found the first 2 sectors easy but the 3rd is not only hard but confusing as hell. Sector four makes it even worse, so I just felt like giving up on it.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 10:59:11 PM »

...and JESUS is this game hard.

I'm only about halfway through the game but I found it pretty devoid of difficulty. I think I may have gotten the game over screen like twice because I wasn't paying attention to the MC's health

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 11:07:03 PM »

It's not that the game is easy, it's that it's pretty moderate for an SMT game.  OP, I have to ask, is this your first SMT experience?  It sounds like it is.  SMT games reward patience and preparedness, and will serve heaping helpings of brutal punishment if you screw things up.

Be stocked up on items at all times.  Be stocked up on demons with a wide variety of skills at all times.  Buy as many types of armor and weaponry for th eMC as possible, and don't get rid of it until all of the resistances/attack types can be replaced by something better.  Make sure your party is mostly the same alignment as you, and abuse the ever-living shit out of the alignment combo system.  And remember that buffs and debuffs actually work in this game, although the Suku- spells are the least helpful.
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 11:16:08 PM »

Yeah, I started with Persona 3 and 4, and both of those were fairly easy.  This is my first mainline SMT game, so maybe I just need to get used to this.  I played Demon's Souls through five times and never found that hard, and yet this game is abusing the crap out of me.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 11:41:14 PM »

And remember that buffs and debuffs actually work in this game, although the Suku- spells are the least helpful.

You are right about the Suku- spells not being great in Strange Journey, but I think they were probably my favourite Buffs in Nocturne. The press turn system really punished you if you missed, and those spells cast 3 times made you dodge almost everything.

Sukukaja x 3 + Sukunda x 3 = Win.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 01:29:07 AM »

Yeah, with the Press Turn system, evasion was king.  But the boosts aren't as good in SJ and there's less of a reward for dodging/less of a penalty for missing so it's not crucial to the game like in Nocturne.  It still HELPS, just not that much.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010, 07:15:34 AM »

The difficulty comes and goes. It is of moderate difficulty most of the time, rarely easy, sometimes hard.

If I had to give you a tip, it would be to not get attached to your demons. You are going to be fusing very very often and having a favourite and wanting to keep it is never going to help you. A level 19 demon will easily kick a level 17 demons ass.

Also, gather as much materials as you can, keep your weapons/armour as high as powerful as you can too.

Definitely fuse A LOT. Always make sure the you get the sources from the demons in your better. It helps to have demons that are in your alignment as well. Though you don't always have a fully aligned party while you're exploring.

I half agree about the weapon armor thing. You will always want the best sword, but not necessarily the "best" gun or armor. Sometimes the best gun will have weaker attack, but is more appropriate for the situation because of the skills it has on it. Same for armor. Sometimes an armor with weaker defense will be better because of it's strength in a certain element. Keep all the armor you make, it will be invaluable. You'll find yourself switching around often.

"Oh, a hunter..."
supersonic
Prefers JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2010, 09:18:10 AM »

Yeah, with the Press Turn system, evasion was king.  But the boosts aren't as good in SJ and there's less of a reward for dodging/less of a penalty for missing so it's not crucial to the game like in Nocturne.  It still HELPS, just not that much.

Eh, I don't think I would've beaten certain bosses without spamming Luster Candy...
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2010, 06:31:43 PM »

All I have to say is my hat is off to anyone who managed to get through that last dungeon without using a faq.

EDIT: Oddly enough, I actually find Strange Journey to be LESS frustrating than P3 for some reason.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 06:39:47 PM by Lord Scottish » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: