Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 07:37:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330158 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Food!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Food!  (Read 3512 times)
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« on: July 20, 2010, 12:04:11 AM »

So after reading through that topic Dice made that sort of derailed into food, I thought why not just start a new topic for it.  I want to dedicate this topic especially to the local, cheap, cart foods.  There is nothing like stopping at a local famous cart and getting some cheap eats that are messy, bad for you, and taste so damn good.  Let's all share local, and not so local delights that we've gotten to sample.

Right now I'm in Trinidad visiting family and I LOVE Trini cart food.  Earlier today I went by a beach famous for Bake and Shark, which is a sandwich made of fried Shark and a bread which is called a Bake (though it's not actually baked but fried, weird I know)  So so good.

The other day I got some food called souse (rhymes with south).  I had pig-feet souse which is basically a type of pickled meats (mostly the "throw away" parts.)  It's some real creole food which a friend insisted I eat instead of the typical American stuff. 

That's me taking a bite out of some pig's feet.  Anyway, I'd love to see what other locales have to offer.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 12:13:16 AM »

Nobody wants my national food, Haggis. I don't have pictures of me with a haggis I'm afraid, because quite frankly I never though the need would ever arise. Besides, I get to much pleasure telling people a haggis is a three-legged blind miniature sheep who lives in caves in the Highlands.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 12:20:04 AM »

I'm chewing on some pig's feet in that picture.  A few days ago (which I should have mentioned) I ate some cow heel soup (which is delicious).  I would most definitely eat some sheep innards.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 01:09:17 AM »

I'm glad this topic exists.  Now I can detour people here on the next topic I make - just in case. :)

I have a horrible food sense... I enjoy plain.  Pepperoni and Cheese Pizza... fuck off, Pineapple!  You are not wanted!!!

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 03:37:34 AM »

Nobody wants my national food, Haggis. I don't have pictures of me with a haggis I'm afraid, because quite frankly I never though the need would ever arise. Besides, I get to much pleasure telling people a haggis is a three-legged blind miniature sheep who lives in caves in the Highlands.

When I visited Scotland I didn't try Haggis. Not because I think it's disgusting, but because I was worried that I wouldn't enjoy it and considering the cheapest I found it was like 8 or so, I didn't feel like spending that much on something I might not like.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 04:16:06 AM »

As much as I hate stereotypes the truth is that a lot of Irish people love potatoes. I mean having it in one form or another at least once a day. I remember a while back my mother always going "So, you are tired of potatoes?. Then lets have Chips today (You call them fries) today"

I got rid of how we would actually say that. Although I love Ireland rain and all, I can see how it would be a grammar Nazi's hell.

Fried potatoes and lamb are wonderful. Pity I have no idea how to cook it.

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 07:33:22 AM »

The "grease truck" Fat Sandwiches at Rutgers U in New Brunswick, NJ.  The most famous is the Fat Darrell: chicken fingers, mozzarella sticks with marinara, and fries all in a torpedo roll.    There are better ones, though.  Even the veggie Fat Cat sounds like an artery clogging clusterfuck. 

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 07:48:48 AM »

As much as I hate stereotypes the truth is that a lot of Irish people love potatoes. I mean having it in one form or another at least once a day. I remember a while back my mother always going "So, you are tired of potatoes?. Then lets have Chips today (You call them fries) today"

I got rid of how we would actually say that. Although I love Ireland rain and all, I can see how it would be a grammar Nazi's hell.

Fried potatoes and lamb are wonderful. Pity I have no idea how to cook it.

You are totally right, Scotland is the same that way about potatoes. I love me some potatoes. I think I've had them everyday since I was a baby. Especially when my Gran cooks. It's funny, when I was a kid my Gran would use an ice cream scoop on the mashed potatoes, and you would get little mounds of mashed potato. Now I do that myself, I can't enjoy them unless they are like ice cream scoops.

As for haggis, it doesn't taste that bad. It definitely doesn't take like sheep innards, whatever that tastes like. It's just a strong flavour, not a strong meat flavour but a strong spice one. A lot of spices go into haggis. It's just like a big sausage. I don't eat it often because it's very sickening. It doesn't take a lot of the stuff before you have had enough, what with all the oats that go into it.

I agree with Dice about the Pineapple on Pizza issue btw. That shit is just not right.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 08:26:31 AM »

It's funny, when I was a kid my Gran would use an ice cream scoop on the mashed potatoes, and you would get little mounds of mashed potato. Now I do that myself, I can't enjoy them unless they are like ice cream scoops.

I have it the same way. To be honest I was not aware there was another way. I cannot imagine eating it when it is just mush. You need to get your fork and cut one of the scoops in half before eating them.

Perley
Gunslinger Extraordinare

You feelin' lucky, punk

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 09:08:37 AM »

There is a cart that sells delicious poutine after the bars close. Cheese, gravy, and french fries; so good.
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 09:10:33 AM »

Nobody wants my national food, Haggis.

I actually quite like Haggis. It surprised me because it tastes nothing like what I thought it would. The pub from across my old flat served haggis on pizza-- which I simply had to try, even if I didn't end up liking the combination later. Not a very healthy dish. :P

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 09:40:20 AM »

The "grease truck" Fat Sandwiches at Rutgers U in New Brunswick, NJ.  The most famous is the Fat Darrell: chicken fingers, mozzarella sticks with marinara, and fries all in a torpedo roll.    There are better ones, though.  Even the veggie Fat Cat sounds like an artery clogging clusterfuck. 

Haha, I had a feeling you'd mention this.  I love those things for sure.  They had a few places at Penn State that sold them (they were actually part of the same franchise/company whatever "R U Hungry,") but I did actually get to go by New Brunswick recently and get a real Fat Sandwich.  I had a Fat Bitch I think.  My favorite is the one with gyro, chicken fingers, white sauce and mozz sticks.  I could really feel the artery clog.

And I do love me the lamb and chicken carts that are really getting popular around NYC.  53rd and 6th is the really popular one, but I actually prefer the ones outside Queens College.  I really like their rice.
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010, 10:06:08 AM »

If you've heard of balut, yeah you might find it gross (cooked fertilized egg with nearly developed embryo). I don't like it though but I do like dinuguan, which too sounds gross (cooked pig's blood).

On the other hand, here are some of my local favorites:

Puto Bumbong - Glutinous Steamed Rice Cakes dried with salt water and placed in bamboo shoots

Suman - Glutinous Rice Cakes wrapped in Banana Leaves
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 10:08:27 AM by Hoshino_Kid » Logged

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2010, 10:06:54 AM »

I'm glad this topic exists.  Now I can detour people here on the next topic I make - just in case. :)

I have a horrible food sense... I enjoy plain.  Pepperoni and Cheese Pizza... fuck off, Pineapple!  You are not wanted!!!
I'm with you here. Either it's pepperoni pizza or GTFO. I've tried the whole pineapple/ham thing before, and it wasn't horrible. But why would you do that to a pizza when there's plenty of pepperoni to go around?

It's funny, when I was a kid my Gran would use an ice cream scoop on the mashed potatoes, and you would get little mounds of mashed potato. Now I do that myself, I can't enjoy them unless they are like ice cream scoops.

I have it the same way. To be honest I was not aware there was another way. I cannot imagine eating it when it is just mush. You need to get your fork and cut one of the scoops in half before eating them.
I've been to restaurants where they "ice-cream scoop" the potatoes and I find it odd. Somehow, it makes them taste not as good. My wife makes awesome smashed up potatoes, but I might have to pass on them if she busts out the ice cream scooper. Mental block.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2010, 10:28:45 AM »

If you've heard of balut, yeah you might find it gross (cooked fertilized egg with nearly developed embryo). I don't like it though but I do like dinuguan, which too sounds gross (cooked pig's blood).

On the other hand, here are some of my local favorites:

Puto Bumbong - Glutinous Steamed Rice Cakes dried with salt water and placed in bamboo shoots

I really want to try balut actually.  I think it's more a mental disturbance than the taste.  I'd probably have to close my eyes eating it.  And that dinuguan, is that the same as black pudding?

Oh and is that coconut and brown sugar next to the rice cakes?  That looks really good.

Also:  Pineapple and Ham on pizza is delicious and I don't care what anyone says.  Hell just pineapple alone on pizza is delicious and I could eat an entire pie of it and not get sick of it at all.  In fact, I'm glad so many people dislike it because it's one of those pies that never runs out fast when you order for a lot of people.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 10:31:23 AM by Azrael » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: