Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 10:12:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338101 Posts in 13842 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Silent Hill 8
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Silent Hill 8  (Read 3067 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2010, 10:53:42 PM »

And every time I ask people why they didn't like Homecoming or Shattered Dreams, the only response is that "Well it wasn't made by Team Silent, so it's crap" or the occasional "It's not Japanese enough", neither of which are really adequate excuses.

Let's be fair here, for all of Lard's pre-release griping he ended up trying the game and giving perfectly valid reasons up above.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2010, 11:00:53 PM »

I'm proud of him for actually trying it, but I wasn't just talking about him.  I know a lot of people who do and say exactly the same thing, and I see similar comments posted anonymously in other places.  And I've yet to hear a really decent explanation for why any of these games were bad.
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2010, 11:34:49 PM »

Should this be Silent Hill 6 since Silent Hill Origins was Silent Hill 0 and Silent Hill: Shattered Memories was Silent Hill 1 Heavily Remade?

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Jonathan Ingram
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2010, 07:49:30 AM »

Well, the series was, from day one, meant to be a replication of American horror.  There wasn't supposed to be much "Japanese flavor" to begin with.

Japanese games play and feel very different from the Western ones regardless of the setting. Silent Hill, Clock Tower, Rule of Rose and Demento(Haunting Ground) may not be set in Japan but they are still Japanese games to the core. It`s not like the the only games to have Japanese feel to them are those that done in anime style and/or set in Japan.

I also can't really understand how the American devs have been failing.  Homecoming and Shattered Memories were fantastic horror games.  I'll admit that Origins was pretty shitty, but the other two were much more SH than SH4.

Origins and Homecoming were trying too hard to be like SH and that`s their main problem. The end products ended up being extremely uninspired and ultimately felt like fan-made games. Silent Hill 4, on the other hand, may not have been very SH(and it wasn`t supposed to be like SH anyway) and had a lot of annoying design problems which involved a lot of backtracking but it was still a very inspired and unique game with fantastic art direction and interesting story.

As for Shattered Memories, it was a pretty neat and unique title that I quite liked. It didn`t try to feel like a Team Silent game and the devs definitely deserve some bonus points for this. It definitely would`ve benefited from being a stand-alone product unrelated to SH though.
nonoyes

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2010, 08:26:30 AM »

Should this be Silent Hill 6 since Silent Hill Origins was Silent Hill 0 and Silent Hill: Shattered Memories was Silent Hill 1 Heavily Remade?

Exactly it should be 6. Homecoming was 5 it was called 5 then the 5 was dropped. And origins is 0 just like Resident Evil had.
Shattered Memories isn't a numbered version I still need to get that one though.

Anyways who's making it Konami? Climax? Someone new? All I see is Konami being billed as the developer.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2010, 08:58:05 AM »

Well, the series was, from day one, meant to be a replication of American horror.  There wasn't supposed to be much "Japanese flavor" to begin with.

Japanese games play and feel very different from the Western ones regardless of the setting. Silent Hill, Clock Tower, Rule of Rose and Demento(Haunting Ground) may not be set in Japan but they are still Japanese games to the core. It`s not like the the only games to have Japanese feel to them are those that done in anime style and/or set in Japan.
Resident Evil plays like any other US shooter, except with worse controls. In fact, the only thing that separates Japanese game development from Western ones is bad game design decisions.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2010, 03:25:12 PM »

Anyways who's making it Konami? Climax? Someone new? All I see is Konami being billed as the developer.

Vatra Games I think.
Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2010, 06:04:51 PM »

Vatra is owned by Kuju, which is another "churn 'em out" house like Foundation 9 who owns shin..errr Double Helix.  So I'm writing this game off also, unless proven wrong.

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2010, 12:19:07 PM »

Ok, my opinion on the newest SH, it looks promising. I've been a fan since its debut In 1999. I own all of the games and ive enjoyed all of them. Here is where I rank them:

-Silent Hill
-Silent Hill 2
-Silent Hill 4
-Silent Hill 3
-Silent Hill: Origins
-Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
-Silent Hill: Homecoming

I think this one will be good but the absence of Akira Yamaoka makes me a sad Panda :(

Currently Playing-The Evil Within
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Lucid

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2010, 04:01:10 PM »

Shattered Memories was boring, that was my problem with it.  The chase sequences were utterly predictable, and as such failed to induce any thrill or excitement in me. It was basically trial and error, find the right path which gets dull very quicky. In the 'real' world, nothing happened outside of any small plot related elements. It was like walking around an empty town in real life. Spooky initially then it just gets tiresome.

I did like the psychological elements to the story however.
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2010, 01:22:12 AM »

Shattered Memories was boring, that was my problem with it.  The chase sequences were utterly predictable, and as such failed to induce any thrill or excitement in me. It was basically trial and error, find the right path which gets dull very quicky. In the 'real' world, nothing happened outside of any small plot related elements. It was like walking around an empty town in real life. Spooky initially then it just gets tiresome.

I did like the psychological elements to the story however.

the psychological elements truly did shine and the combat was dumb.  I think if there were a SM 2, they would refine it, this was basically a beta game,lol.

Currently Playing-The Evil Within
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: