Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 07:34:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319732 Posts in 13047 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  Dungeon Fighter Online
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Dungeon Fighter Online  (Read 1270 times)
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« on: July 20, 2010, 08:07:34 PM »

When the review for DFO was posted months ago, I agreed with most of it, thinking the game was shoddy but had a great concept.  I had tried to get into the game, but barely played beyond the first dungeon.  More recently, a friend talked me into playing it again, and I am now completely addicted.

Re-reading the old review, I realized that at the time, I hadn't given the game an honest try.  I hadn't gotten in deep enough to use the 3rd party DFO Control Panel or DFO Resizer programs, let alone to dissect the gameplay systems.  Having a friend to play with - combined with the "official release" - was motivation enough to play for real, and despite the old review still being totally relevant, I think this game is amazing.

As a beat-em-up, it's as good as or better than any I've played from the SNES era, and the MMORPG elements are straight out of World of Warcraft (barring the chat system)... it's just pixelated.

Even though there is only local chat (for free anyway), the game is designed so that all players of similar level tend to hang around the same areas, making local chat doable, but annoying when people are spamming their wares.   It's an easy target for a reviewer, but it's not a dealbreaker in my opinion.  The community is talkative, and if you are in town, you have time to chat.  I was selling a fortune coin for 25,000 gold (it's a 2 gold item) in my personal shop while singing random songs, claiming that I won't stop until someone buys my coin.  I had a dozen people hanging around me, laughing, chiming in with their own songs, telling people not to buy it, begging people TO buy it... it was a very real social gathering.  This all happened in local chat, and it was fun.

I've been playing for a little over a month now, and I'm extremely impressed with the overall quality.  At first glance, I thought it was a great concept with cheap, pixelated execution, but when I really got into it, I was blown away.  The pixelated quest log complete with tracker, and the fully functional pixelated auction house amused me.  It's just like WoW but without the traveling.

Not sure where I'm going with this... people have negative opinion of free games by default, but this one deserves a look.  I'm glad reviews have shown up here, it's a worthy game.  Apparently, we need to catch up to the Korean DnF, which seems to be loved across the board.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 08:20:35 PM »

Hey Fei,

Thanks for the feedback!

Yeah, it's easy to be critical of F2PMMOs, but I think the overall score Bob gave shows that for him it's not a complete loss. There's plenty wrong, but there's also a lot right and enjoyable.

Would love to see more RPGFan board members give this one a quick try and see if it's worth getting into. Personally if I were to try a Nexon title it would be Mabinogi. I like the reincarnation concept.

Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 11:31:50 PM »

I've always been interested in trying Dungeon Fighter Online out, so I might try this Winter break. Right now I'm into Neo Steam MMORPG. Sad there isn't a review of that here, would like to see what the staff thinks of the game.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Rapturous
RPGFan Editor

Life is happiness

MyVoiceHurts
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 08:10:58 AM »

Hey, Fei,

Sorry this took me so long to see.  I don't normally check these forums.  Thanks for the feedback, and thanks to Pat for putting in a few words for me.

I just want to comment that I do enjoy the game a great deal, and there are certainly times when I feel like playing a beat 'em up, and DFO immediately comes to mind.  Why settle for less?  And the heavy RPG elements in DFO make it that much better.  However, my main complaints in the article had to due with the game's longevity, and the typical player's long-term satisfaction.  A 79% is just a bit under the 80-89% marker, which we call a good game that will offer a quality experience, but isn't amazing.  So, with so many complaints about Nexon's management, I felt that the game itself was an 8#%, but fell short due to so many basic issues on PR and the slow/lack of progress.  When we posted my first bit almost a year ago, a topic almost immediately opened up on the Nexon DFO forums claiming how I nailed the game in my review.  They weren't talking about my review of gameplay, story, etc.  They were talking about my comments about Nexon.  Getting at the publisher isn't normally the right thing to do in a review, but when it comes to a continuously growing game like an MMORPG, this is a serious consideration.

The game is, indeed, social, and I commented in my first iteration of the review about the fantastic community, and how it's rare to find good people like that in an MMO--that was back when Nexon allowed global chat.  But I can't really judge a game based on its potentially ever-changing community, which could have easily been my own experiences and few others'.

Also, I did use language like "potentially award-winning" because it was just that good to me.  Nexon just dropped the ball last year.  And seems to continue to.  They're improving the game at least, but at such a slow pace, I couldn't rescore it when I updated the review.  A 79% is a very high "average" score, but to leave such potential limping in ways that could be easily remedied--it almost feels criminal.  I want to make DFO the game it could be.  So, yeah, I hear you about how great it is.

That said, again, I love the feedback.  If my language was too harsh, or I didn't leave enough phrases like "...so much potential for a flagship title leading the way toward depth in the old arcade-style beat 'em up genre that they've revived with a medicinal dash of RPG," in my review, let me know.  Seriously.  I'm always looking to improve my writing, and I am just tickled that people actually read my obscenely large reviews that probably aren't worth a moment's glance.

Or maybe that addiction in late July has disappeared.  :)

A life lived for others is a life worthwhile.
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 11:56:42 AM »

Oh no, I'm still playing it, though not as feverishly.  I've gotten a few of my friends into it so I'm mainly helping them catch up to me in levels, but they are more than making it up to me with avatar items.

I've gotten nothing but garbage from the avatar machine, whereas one friend in particular almost always gets an advanced piece, and even got an almighty rare.

He actually said, "I've got all I need for this character, want me to try for a priest piece for you?" and he gets a fucking Cosmic Commander helmet.  He about died of laughter, tears streaming down his face.  I always ended up with "white nametag" and "brown bluetooth headset".

I guess you're right for focusing on Nexon after all, because at this stage of the game, it's all about NX points, gambling and trading.  Items feel valuable at least, which is important in an MMO.  At least it is cheap to get started... my first $5 went a really long way.

They just added 3 - 4 new zones, and every month has some cute gimmick enticing me to log in.  I am not uninstalling DFO now that the stardust period has ended, like I do with most non-WoW MMOs.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: