Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 03:43:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319724 Posts in 13047 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  How do you listen to music, and what do you use?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How do you listen to music, and what do you use?  (Read 3042 times)
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« on: July 16, 2006, 06:59:10 AM »

So. There's been a lot of talk here about the music you listen to, but very little has been said about what and how you listen to it. So, how about it? What kind of equipment do you use, and how do you listen to your music? Do you sit alone in a dark room with your eyes closed, so you can take in as much of the music as possible, or do you let it play in the background constantly, without really paying attention to it? Also, how important are lyrics for you?

I guess I'll start. I do the majority of my music listening in front of the computer, through a pair of Sennheiser HD 595 headphones. I pretty much always have music on in the background, but I rarely ever think much about it. When I like something, I prefer not to analyze it or try to figure out why I like it. For me, that's not important, only the enjoyment I get out of the music is.

When I'm away from the computer, I listen to music through my 3rd Gen iPod, with a pair of Sennheiser PX200 headphones. Can you tell I like Sennheiser? As a matter of fact, I only use headphones. They produce better sound at a lower cost than speakers, I don't have to worry about annoying my neighbors by playing music too loudly.

As for the lyrics part, I rarely ever care about them. For me the feeling of the song is a lot more important than any kind of messege it tries to carry across. The harmony between the music and the words is more important than what the words are saying, bascially.
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006, 12:11:52 PM »

I will listen to my music any way I can, it's that important to me.

I remember having a shitty SPORTS walkman in grade 11 and having to partially hold down the fast forward button so the slow and dodgy sound of dying batteries just perfectly mixed with a very mild use of the fast forward button to play the cassette at near proper speed.

With two dollar Woolco headphones.

Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 03:10:44 PM »

I usually listen to music on my computer, I have Klipsch 5.1 speakers. http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=26958&FEID=340&PMNID=1033

As for actual music, I prefer lyrics to be meaningful and I don't like for the actual instruments to get repetitive.  Tool's my favorite band.

Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 03:28:30 PM »

At the moment, I use my Creative Zen mp3 player on my way to work. Which means music mingled with loud black women and underground trains :|  I chose Creative, because they're better and cheaper than iPods!

At home, I have a crappy stereo which does the job, and I listen whenever.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2006, 04:31:16 PM »

I listen to MP3s through my PC's speakers the majority of time, and I use it for background noise. Sometimes, at night, I'll play melodic music and lay on my bed to sleep.

As for portable music players, once I get a large enough memory stick, I'll use my PSP to listen to music.
Degolas

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2006, 05:18:59 PM »

Oh yeah, as for lyrics, I don't think they're always important, as long as the music's good, and they fit in with the music. Judas Priest would be a good example of pretty bad lyrics, but perfect for the kick arse music.

However, I love when lyrics are well written. They don't always need to be meaningful, for example the lyrics to Iron Maiden's '2 Minutes to Midnight' aren't exactly deep and meaningful, but they're amazingly well written.

Of course, meaningful and emotional are also a very good thing, one of the reason's I love Porcupine Tree (well, after a point, when Wilson got off the LSD:P)

Pink Floyd are the best for me. Roger Waters has such well written lyrics, and they're incredibly meaningful, during Floyd's heyday anyway.

I had a stupid dream

Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006, 08:08:16 PM »

When I think of great lyrics, I think of Bob Dylan, The Mountain Goats, and Modest Mouse. Great messages, interesting themes, use of style, etc. I know the last one will be challenged by a lot of people, but the reason I love MM's lyrics is the fact that in simple, unpretentious terms, Isaac Brock covers some deep ideas. The first two are hard to argue against.

But as for how I listen to music...

I'm very particular about sound quality. It doesn't necessarily have to do with the quality of production (I love the bands on Dischord, even with the less-polished sound), it just has to fit the music and sound effective. So, if I have those earbuds, I won't enjoy the music. They sound horrible and they never fit in my ears. Since I usually listen to my MP3 player while walking/running/traveling, I need to feel comfortable and not have to worry about whether or not I'll ruin the experience by, say, looking around. :P
JetEnduro

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006, 08:25:20 PM »

I usually listen to music on my pc or when i'm not at home I used my iPod Nano.

As for lyrics, I don't really mind. I usually listen to the beat more then the lyrics.If I like a song for it's lyrics it's usually because I can relate to them.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006, 05:52:20 PM »

I only listen to music on my computer now.  I don't even have a cd player anymore.

Nemmet

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2006, 06:38:53 PM »

I have my iPod and a set of speakers for them. I usually load albums on it as playlists, and listen to those playlists with noise-cancelling or standard iPod headphones, or I put it on shuffle and set them in the speaker cradle if I want to fall asleep to music.

I used to use foobar2000 on my PC, but I switched back to Winamp. The speakers I have aren't very good, and I'm probably going to get some better ones in the near future.

There are some cases when lyrics can add a lot to the song. The lyrics to Transatlantic's Bridge Across Forever album are probably my favorite because I can relate to them so well, but I've met people that didn't have as much emotional attachment to them and ended up not enjoying the album as much as I did. Roger Waters lyrics also play a big part in the music, as well.

Usually the music is more important than the lyrics, and the vocal melody matters a great deal more than the lyrics. It's easy to tell when the lyrics are well written or not, and if they are it can make the song a lot more effective. My favorite lyricists would probably have to be Roger Waters, Kevin Moore, and Fish.
Degolas

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2006, 12:34:07 PM »

Am I the only person who can't fall asleep if there's any kind of music on at all.

I had a stupid dream

Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2006, 02:26:29 AM »

No, Degolas, you're not. I hate trying to fall asleep to music.

----------

Ahem, I'm a little outdated compared to the rest of the world, but that's okay. In my room I have a surround stereo system with 4 vintage speakers. My room is basically an amazing cave of sound. I use a CD player, or my record player depending on the medium. For my car I make mixtapes. I have a portable CD player that I use mostly for when I want to analyze the music and desire to block out excess noise. No MP3s for me. I will, at some junction in time, get an iPod.

Lyrics are important, but if the music is good enough, they need not be stellar. I also hate the idea of music as background noise, I like to pay attention to it.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: