Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 04:09:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334648 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  I have too many games to play!!!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: I have too many games to play!!!  (Read 3767 times)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2010, 03:02:51 PM »

I usually play multiple games at a time.  At any given time I'll be working on 3 or 4 different games unless I find one game that I'm really into.  But that doesn't seem to happen much these days.

And it's not like I have a lot of free time.  Often only an hour a day or so.  That's just the way I do things.

Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2010, 03:24:49 PM »

Maybe i'll just quit my job and have 24 hours a day!!!!! Well soon, i'll be working from home so that may adjust pretty good to me.

Currently Playing-The Last Story, The Evil Within, Fable Anniversary
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
jalexbrown

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2010, 03:26:19 PM »

I usually play multiple games at a time.  At any given time I'll be working on 3 or 4 different games unless I find one game that I'm really into.  But that doesn't seem to happen much these days.

And it's not like I have a lot of free time.  Often only an hour a day or so.  That's just the way I do things.
Yeah, very rarely do I end up so entranced in a game that it's the only thing I play.  It happened for a long while with Dragon Age, but after a while it lost some of its mesmerizing traits.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2010, 03:32:45 PM »

I'm the opposite. I play one game at a time. No real reason for it, I just like it that way.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2010, 08:33:18 PM »

I've had this real intense hankerin' to play me some Ultima 7 and Chrono Cross (up in this bitch) since July 4th or thereabouts. Except I haven't because I have the attention span of a goldfish (jk goldfish are actually trainable. There's videos on youtube. It's glorious), a marked lack of energy, and I spend most of my evenings watching PBS and fushigi ball commercials.

So how the heck do I actually motivate myself into gaming all proper-like insteada just sittin' around THINKIN' about it?

(Other games I've been meaning to play: Ookami, Metal Saga, Romancing Saga: Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song, other damn things).

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Ivalice Alliance

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2010, 12:54:24 PM »

One day, I'll finish my collection,lol.

Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2010, 02:33:14 AM »

My backlog used to be mostly PS2 RPGs, but since the advent of Steam sales it's now mostly PC games. I mean, the PS2 games are still unplayed, but now I also have over 100 PC games that I haven't played at all. Oops.

My personal opinion on the matter of backlogs: it's a fruitless effort. Unless you actually want to play all of those games, in which case I'd recommend going one at a time. I find it really hard to play anything at all when I frame it in my mind as "completing a backlog." It feels too much like doing work. If the mood strikes me to play a JRPG then I'll fire one up, but if I'm systematically trying to play through a list of games simply because it's there and I feel like I should play what I payed for? That's where I stop having fun.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2010, 12:12:25 PM »

I'm 28 and grew up playing all the old consoles but missed out on the PS2/XBOX generation. For some reason I didn't feel like playing games at that point in my life.

About a year ago I bought an 360 to play Oblivion and that game brought me back in. Well lately someone gave me an DS lite and I discovered all the great rpgs on that system.

My backlog is:

oblivion (still wrapping up all the side quests)
fallout 3 (can't really get into this one. maybe i'm just burned out from oblivion)
bioshock
red dead

DS
final fantasy tactics a2
dragon quest 4 and 5 (playing 5 now. fun stuff)
strange journey

I really want to get a PSP for all the new Ys games and some of the psone classics
jphussey

hussman12
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2010, 02:53:29 PM »

2 keys to eliminating a backlog:

1. Focus on one game at a time and don't split time between RPGs. You can split between one handheld and one console if you travel quite a bit.

2. DONT BUY ANY MORE GAMES for 6 months. Or a year. Or whatever it takes. I stopped buying games for 2-3 years at one point. Then I became an RPGFan editor. Now my backlog is huge again.

JP
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2010, 04:44:25 PM »

I can only reach one conclusion here: you guys buy way too many games.

With backlogs like the ones listed above why do you buy new games? They aren't going anywhere and will only become cheaper with time, concentrate on what you have.
Some of the games mentioned are already in the bargain bin and were probably bought at full price and you haven't even touched them yet. It's a waste of money.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2010, 04:57:26 PM »

But new games are new and shiny!  Sometimes you want new and shiny.

The thing about backlogs is that it can be very tempting to play the new game you just bought instead of a game in you backlog.  It's not like people are buying new games but just adding them to the queue.

Also, niche games don't always become cheaper with time.  Sometimes if you wait too long they become nearly impossible to find and incredibly overpriced.

Ivalice Alliance

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2010, 07:35:51 PM »

^ This.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2010, 07:58:46 PM »

It's a good idea to consider how much you REALLY want to play a game anyway. I've ignored some deals like GoG's on Arcanum (and Vampire, but I was more interested in Arcanum) because I realized I simply wasn't going to get around to playing it any time soon, but there was no way I was going to wait longer on DQIX, I knew I'd rip through that and had been anticipating it for years anyway.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2010, 08:01:54 PM »

But new games are new and shiny!  Sometimes you want new and shiny.

The thing about backlogs is that it can be very tempting to play the new game you just bought instead of a game in you backlog.  It's not like people are buying new games but just adding them to the queue.

Also, niche games don't always become cheaper with time.  Sometimes if you wait too long they become nearly impossible to find and incredibly overpriced.

You got that right!
I remember seeing Fatal Frame 2 or 3 for the ps2 almost a year after release on ebay and it was more expensive than the retail price, good thing I already had it.
Same thing with Valkyrie Profile 1 for PSOne. This one I bought used from a friend for a bargain before knowing it was worth a ton. On ebay I've seen it top 200 dollars. It's a good game, sure, but it's not a statue of a well know artist, it's a game burned on a disc.
Atlus games are quite famous for being hard to find later on.

I saw sometime ago that companies like Atlus sometimes like to do auctions of some copies of their games for absurd prices. I my opinion this is illogical market business because if there are a decent number of people wanting to buy your game, why sell to say 4 people for 100 bucks and instead sell it to 300 people for 50 bucks. I'm sure you make much more money this way, more happy customers and people that will eventually like your game and buy them when you make new ones.
I don't even think they should put the price down because it's old, since demand of said think is still good, but at least retail price.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2010, 08:40:04 PM »

I actually find it somewhat hard to rationalize grabbing a lot of games right away, even niche ones can be found for cheap or at least the same price years later. Though there's games like Infinite Space or the aforementioned Fatal Frames that... man, maybe I really should be getting Infinite Space now, it's sold out on Amazon without a price drop and GameStops seem to be selling out.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: