Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2014, 10:38:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335176 Posts in 13724 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  drunk thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17 Print
Author Topic: drunk thread  (Read 25710 times)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2010, 05:19:11 PM »

This thread has gone off in a weird direction.

Let me just say that while it's been years since I've really gotten drunk and even longer since I've enjoyed it, I absolutely love drinking and can't even imagine giving it up.  Nor do I see a reason to.  Good beer or wine (especially wine) can enhance a meal like nothing else.  Besides, I can't stand overly sweet drinks (especially soda) so usually it's a choice between plain water or alcohol.  In addition, there have been several studies showing that moderate alcohol consumption can be good for you.  At the very least it's certainly better for you than drinking soda.

I get kind of annoyed when people don't distinguish between drinking and getting drunk.  It's not difficult to drink responsibly, and frankly most people who drink irresponsibly do so because they want to.  A lot of people try to use alcohol as an excuse to do things that they actually wanted to do anyway but would be social faux pas if they weren't 'drunk'.  There have been some interesting psycological studies on this subject, in which people at parties will act just as crazy when given non-alcoholic drinks as long as they are convinced that they're drinking alcohol.

Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2010, 05:33:05 PM »

...drunk thread? But this thread isn't old enough to drink :/

EDIT: I mentioned this once before, but I don't drink - or even like being around people when they're drunk -  because I've had some pretty bad alcohol-related experiences.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 05:34:40 PM by Lord Scottish » Logged
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2010, 05:37:55 PM »

A lot of people try to use alcohol as an excuse to do things that they actually wanted to do anyway but would be social faux pas if they weren't 'drunk'.  

That sounds like me. I do not mean the people who cheat or get into fights but rather...I never dance drunk ever, although I never let on I am sober. Lately on nights out I rarely drink more than two or three drinks.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 05:45:17 PM by Darilon » Logged

Sensei Phoenix

Sensei+Phoenix
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2010, 06:15:23 PM »

I mourn Neal's 'edge-ness, primarily because I LOVE good beers, and we would go to the harvest festivals and indulge in some good brews. Ah well.

I'm a bit buzzed right now due to a rum & pepper and a beer. I only drink when I'm in a good mood, though; never when I'm unhappy. I kind of treat it like a mood enhancer, and why would I want to be even more unhappy?

Also, to keep up with Eusis, "What did the baby say when it got nailed to the tree?" "Nothing with that gag in its mouth." (and I cleaned THAT joke up!)

DIGIBOOTY AHOY!
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2010, 06:47:19 PM »

I'm with GM: if you can't party without alcohol, you don't know how to party. I feel like it's a weak way to get the social strata sorted out at a gathering and just a waste of time if you get so damned drunk that everything's going to be a hazy memory the next morning.

The health benefits of liquor (mostly wine, I imagine) can justify a few glasses if you're not aiming to get drunk, but there's research to support health benefits of all sorts of things these days. I'd rather stick to the foods/drinks that won't alter my state of mind. It's also a shame when fit guys drink a lot and end up with beer bellies as they get older. :(

To each their own, though.

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2010, 09:01:46 PM »

Wine isn't technically any more good for you than any other alchoholic beverage. It's the alcohol (moderate amounts of it) that contain the main health benefits. It's simply that wine is not typically drunk in large quantities because of cost and cultural reasons. It's a total myth when people say, "wine is good for you, beer is bad".

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2010, 09:03:41 PM »

http://www.amazon.com/Danco-Ballcock-Coupling-Nut-Washer/dp/B000H5QS4K/

Who needs drinks when you can have a ballcock coupling nut washer?

Or you should make a drink called a ballcock coupling nut washer.

It doesn't count if it's just you teabagging a jug of listerine and gramma's corn mash.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2010, 09:21:00 PM »

The amount of thought that has already gone into this made me get a drink.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2010, 09:24:18 PM »

Dincrest your new name is Neal Softlips

Dyeager you will now be known as Max Thunderbrew
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2010, 09:25:25 PM »

Wine isn't technically any more good for you than any other alchoholic beverage. It's the alcohol (moderate amounts of it) that contain the main health benefits. It's simply that wine is not typically drunk in large quantities because of cost and cultural reasons. It's a total myth when people say, "wine is good for you, beer is bad".

So with supermarket wine being the price that it is today (around 5 to 10 at your local Tesco over here), the whole wine myth thing must kind of fall flat (at least among the younger generations)? I have/had classmates who'd buy a few bottles of the cheap stuff and down it in an evening.

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2010, 10:46:30 PM »

Dark beer is very healthy, some of the ingredients in red wine (outside of the alcohol) is healthy.
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2010, 11:03:30 PM »

If it's healthy then bonus. I like a drink to unwind after a rough day or relax on the weekends or out to dinner or at a party with friends or whatever.

It has been said that a fine beer may be judged with one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure.

Your pal,

Max Thunderbrew
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2010, 05:30:41 AM »

Also, to keep up with Eusis, "What did the baby say when it got nailed to the tree?" "Nothing with that gag in its mouth." (and I cleaned THAT joke up!)

... But I haven't even been plastered enough to say anything like that! Or have an excuse to post in here.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2010, 06:30:08 AM »

Neal Softlips?!?  What the hell disrespectful thing did I do to contract that moniker?  Heh, and go figure, I often perform my solo act under the moniker of Neal Nerdypants. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Sensei Phoenix

Sensei+Phoenix
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2010, 07:17:14 AM »

Sorry, eusis, I always get your avatar confused with mesh for some reason.

DIGIBOOTY AHOY!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: