Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 02:29:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334558 Posts in 13704 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  most unappreciated RPGs?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: most unappreciated RPGs?  (Read 8389 times)
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« on: July 26, 2010, 05:09:14 AM »

have any games or series you love but are almost universally disliked or too obscure?
I most certainly do:
Tales, Xenosaga, Legend of Dragoon, Wild Arms, Sakura Taisen/wars, Skies of Arcadia
I'm sure i'd be able to come up with more than just those but this is a little depressing :(

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 05:27:16 AM »

I don't think I could really name any. But that's possibly because we discuss so many here that they don't feel obscure to me any more, even though the rest of the gaming community might never have heard of them.

Though I wouldn't have said Tales or Skies of Arcadia are particularly obscure, nor are they universally disliked.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 05:35:35 AM »

I think everyone here knows their RPGs pretty much backwards and forwards so even if I mentioned a JRPG that came out on a type of microwave in Japan in 1993, people probably have heard of it.

I liked Jade Cocoon and a lot of people had issues with it, I spose that counts.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Cait Sith
Roll the Dice

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 06:44:20 AM »

Xenosaga episode II gets a lot of hate, and while it wasnt perfect, I did enjoy it.

Currently Playing: Resonance of Fate

PSN: jasonpudd
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 08:03:36 AM »

Anachronox
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunderthumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 09:40:32 AM »

My vote goes to Thousand Arms.  The game was flawed with a cumbersome combat system, some crater-sized plot holes, and disk 2 being rather half-hearted, but it was damn funny and Meis is one of my all time favorite protagonists.  He dated all his party members and had girlfriends in various towns (including a 200 year old priestess.)  And the Ayumi Hamasaki opening theme?  Kick ass!  The rest of the music was good too; definitely an underrated soundtrack.  I played that game twice to completion and thought it was really fun.  I think another reason it was underappreciated is because FF8 and Suikoden 2 came out that same year. 

I think it's one of those "right game, wrong time" incidents.  Again, the game itself is quite flawed, but it was still really fun.  I've said this plenty of times, but I would love this game on PSN.  Sure it's wishful thinking, but a little wishful thinking never hurt anyone.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 10:40:00 AM »

I always thought Guardian's Crusade was an unappreciated game. I loved the game although alot of people were probably turned away by the graphics and the box art.

Although Aedis Eclipse: Generation of Chaos had it's flaws I thought it was a good game. I think most people saw it was made by idea factory and just walked away from it.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 11:04:38 AM »

Anachronox

Of course you'd pick the one no one's ever heard of!!  puh-shhh!

Legend of Mana is the tits to me.  Umm Saga Frontier IINieR (a peculiar experience, astonishingly benefits from the GESTALT principles..funny enough, seeing the JP title). Chrono Cross (the majority credit always goes to CC instead).  Wild Arms 3 (puzzles and bonuses ga-fucking-lore, a 13 phase final boss, and adorable little Ginny!).  Valkyrie Profile 2 (blahblah, no emotional death sequences, blaaah blaah).  Star Ocean: Til the End of Time (omit the story for goodness sake, and you have a rocking bloody battle system)

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunderthumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 11:25:49 AM »

Funny, I thought Thoren just picked that as a playful jab at me.

Kstar
Editor Emeritus

I Remember Everything

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 11:39:10 AM »

The first Shadow Hearts game often gets overlooked and it's a shame because it really was a great game.  The problem is it flew under everyone's radar and everyone seems to gush over Covenant that it doesn't get the props it should.  Covenant may have been the more memorable game, but the first Shadow Hearts was actually a fantastic game.  Plus, it opened the door for the series.  Sigh, it still makes me sad that we will never see another SH game. 

"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest."
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunderthumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 01:33:42 PM »

Don't forget either that Shadow Hearts was released the same week as FFX.  I think it's much the same story of this year how Resonance of Fate was overlooked (except by RPG die-hards) because it was released so close to FFXIII.  And most anyone who's played both would likely assess that RoF is the better game.   

Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2010, 03:04:51 PM »

My vote goes to Thousand Arms.  The game was flawed with a cumbersome combat system, some crater-sized plot holes, and disk 2 being rather half-hearted, but it was damn funny and Meis is one of my all time favorite protagonists.  He dated all his party members and had girlfriends in various towns (including a 200 year old priestess.)  And the Ayumi Hamasaki opening theme?  Kick ass!  The rest of the music was good too; definitely an underrated soundtrack.  I played that game twice to completion and thought it was really fun.  I think another reason it was underappreciated is because FF8 and Suikoden 2 came out that same year. 

I think it's one of those "right game, wrong time" incidents.  Again, the game itself is quite flawed, but it was still really fun.  I've said this plenty of times, but I would love this game on PSN.  Sure it's wishful thinking, but a little wishful thinking never hurt anyone.

Loved Thousand Arms, but I could live without Meis's shoes swishing. Another game to fall prey to "right game, wrong time" was Wild Arms, overshadowed  by FF7.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2010, 03:54:12 PM »

Steambot Chronicles and Metal Saga. Metal Saga was actually pretty awful, but a hell of a lot of fun, especially the dialogue . And Steambot Chronicles may be the most interesting, fun, and relaxing Rpg that I played on the PS2, but it didn't have magic so it was doomed to fail I guess.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2010, 05:12:31 PM »

Final Fantasy Legend 2. While it wasn't poorly received it's actually the best game ever but when you ASK most people what the best game ever is they give you some stupid response like Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy 12 or Magical Adventures in Bonerville, and none of those are FFL2 so you're WRONG.

Good sir.

Good !@#%ing sir.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2010, 05:26:55 PM »

it's actually the best game ever.

You are obviously mentally deranged if you do not accept Tetris as the greatest game ever. It has great graphics even by todays standards, an epic storyline that may drop a bit around the 50,000 point score but soon picks up. Are the blocks your allies?. Your enemies?. You decide.

Ignoring the crap I said above, Tetris is an awesome game.

On topic Suikoden IV is really unappreciated among fans. Do not get me wrong, people who were not really into Suikoden and disliked it for its flaws have valid reasons. I mean the hardcore fans who pretty much despise the game. I actually enjoyed the game and although it is not my favourite Suikoden I love the Rune of Punishment and Lazlo is probably my favourite of the Suikoden silent protagonists. I also found barring 1 it was the easiest of the series to get back into in a replay.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: