Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2014, 06:23:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331821 Posts in 13586 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  most unappreciated RPGs?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print
Author Topic: most unappreciated RPGs?  (Read 8252 times)
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2010, 05:52:27 PM »

It is not out yet but I predict that Golden Sun DS will be. I mean it has so much hype that I am not sure if being better than the first two will be enough.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2010, 01:02:10 AM »

Goddammit golden sun was awful. It was a handheld port of Beyond the Beyond with some goofy puzzles and a GF system added on. That is all >:C

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2010, 02:44:23 AM »

Hate the Golden Series or not, it has great music.

Currently Playing-Re-visiting Wii and Xbox 360 games (finish backlog)
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Lucid

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2010, 12:25:10 PM »

Goddammit golden sun was awful. It was a handheld port of Beyond the Beyond with some goofy puzzles and a GF system added on. That is all >:C
Thank you.
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2010, 06:31:07 PM »

I played Golden Sun and I agree with mesh on it but that just be partially because i'd get angry very easily at my gameboy
speaking of radiata stories, it has quite possibly teh bestest most awesomest optional boss of all time
edit: just recently started okage and it is amazing

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Ivalice Alliance

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2010, 01:55:06 AM »

I need to restart Okage again.

Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
cosapi
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2010, 09:53:33 AM »

Wait, some people still think SO3 has anything remotely resembling a redeeming quality? Did we seriously play the same game?
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2010, 09:55:33 AM »

Wait, some people still think SO3 has anything remotely resembling a redeeming quality? Did we seriously play the same game?

Shockingly enough people are all different and enjoy different things. Wrap your head around that one!

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2010, 10:14:24 AM »

That's what I was saying in the DQIX thread (more or less). :(

Although BtB also had its fair share of goofy puzzles (except only two or three dungeons had them and the rest were stolen from better games such as DQII's Road to Rhone) and it had the SaGa series's health system instead of GF wannabes.

Now that I think about it, I wonder what GSDS will both steal and mutilate this time around? (It's got your favorite gameplay systems from your favorite games except implemented horribly. Oh and you have to fuck around in sidequest land for at least a full third of the game on shit that should only take a dungeon or two at the most.)

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2010, 09:30:12 AM »

Nice to see lots of Okage love.  What an amazing game that was.

And Golden Sun was great.  It looks like BtB because it was made by the same dev team, and it's an improvement on that game in every way.  Could it have been better?  Yeah, sure it could.  But it was pretty good for what it was, a simple, easy cookie-cutter RPG.  Sometimes, that's all a game needs to be.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2010, 04:56:12 PM »

Fine Gen I'll concede that point.

Star Ocean 3 totally was awful though and unlike SO4 it didn't even give us any memorable characters, such as Mr. Chair.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: August 04, 2010, 11:16:53 AM »

SO3 has too many too many undeveloped characters (best example of this would be Adray).
also, if I use certain attacks with a lot of hits (gravity bullet, fists of fury) and an enemy guards just as it's being done, it slows down to a ridiculous amount of frames per second.
and leveling up is too much of a pain since that battle gauge thing only fills up around enemies at an "appropriate level" and experience/money rewarded in battle are too minimal
it needs a real world map because going from area to area is unbelievably tedious
finally, opening menus and going into battle randomly take up to a whole minute

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
wildcard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2010, 04:56:57 AM »

Hmmm, I guess most have already been named, but...

- Legend of Dragoon - Still an interesting RPG with interesting combat system
- Radiata Stories - Something else that I stumbled upon and grew to love
- Drakengard (1 & 2) - I love dragons. That was the reason I bought the first one wayyyyyyy back then. Now I love the game. Not much for the combat system, but the story and alternate parts. Also, the two main characters really grew on me.
- Star Ocean 3 - Interesting story and while many might continue to moan and bitch around the sudden plot twist... To me, it was the first time encountering THIS one. I never saw it coming and did like it. Also... The creating system was also a first time and love for me and if that wasn't good enough... Well... There is always the ALBEL-Factor <3
- Metal Saga - Just started playing this one and like it ^^ It looks a bit old-school, but I can't be bothered to care ^^
- Steamboot Chronicles - Unique. You are pushed into a world and after the tutorial part it's really up to you what do do next. Sure, occassionally you get involved in the main plot string... But... I found everything else much more interesting. Stock trades, collecting and using music instruments, collecting outfits, earning money though archiology and stuff like that... It's fun! Also, your dialoge options and choices influence the main characters personality and all that ^^... And it has the Mecha bonus and customisation too  ^o^
- Mana Khemia 1 & 2 - I love the Atelier series (as far as I could play them anyway) and when this came around, I was a bit wary at first, but... MK 1 was awesome, MK2 had two stories merging into one (thought I really felt annoyed by the female MC and her group most of the time), which was also interesting to see. One could debate wether or not the stories were good (in MK2s case), but I enjoyed them.
- Xenosaga 2 - People say it's the weakest of the Xenosaga series. Well. It was my first and I enjoyed it. And it's still better than some other RPGs I had.
- Final Fantasy 9 - Some love it, some hate it. I belong to the lovers. In act, from all the FF Games I played through (7-12) it's my favourite. Simple as that. It had a great story, great characters  and Zidane. A maincharacter that didn't have a 'cold'/'wannabecool' personality like Cloud and Squall, but was a cheeky, lively young man/monkeyboy.
- Shadow Hearts 1 - Those that only play SH2 miss out a lot of references and thus part of the story. I too played SH2 first, but that's what got me interested in the first.
- Shadow of Memories - Not sure if this belongs in the RPG section or elsewhere, but it's a really awesome game, that unfortunately doesn't get much fame. The options, the story paths, the ideas, the various endings... Lovers of multi-ending games should have played this. Multiple times to get all endings - and thus finding out the whole story.

My two cents.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: August 05, 2010, 07:23:16 AM »

I really hate the SO games, I think those games are utter crap no matter how you look at it.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Ivalice Alliance

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: August 05, 2010, 08:11:37 AM »

Suikoden IV was an amazing game, all of them all.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: