Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 07:34:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338703 Posts in 13864 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  What did you watch?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: What did you watch?  (Read 5039 times)
Dave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2006, 11:09:20 PM »

Wrestling took up a lot of my TV time, but as for the Saturday Morning variety of show...

Batman, Ducktales, Animaniacs, Ren & Stimpy, 2 Stupid Dogs, TMNT..surprisingly not so much GI Joe. Full House, yes, Boy Meets World...

Oh, The Adventures of Pete & Pete and Salute Your Shorts, the two best live-action Nickelodeon productions ever. Those get automatic top billing. I also watched a lot of the game shows on there, like Double Dare, GUTS and Wild & Crazy Kids (if for nothing else than the Dizzy Bat contests).

Freakazoid was a favorite of mine too, along with Eek! The Cat and Bobby's World...Howie Mandel = Win.

Also, GO SCIENCE SHOWS. Beakman's World and Bill Nye The Science Guy kicked ass. I also had old episodes of Mr. Wizard on tape.

The Super Mario Bros. Super Show was another favorite of mine simply because it was Mario...the Sonic The Hedgehog ABC series was awesome (even though the Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog show is more often quoted on YTMND and whatnot)...

Old-School Hanna-Barbera also owned a lot of my youth. Wacky Races, Jonny Quest (new and old), etc, etc, etc...

Oh, and Carmen Sandiego. I remember there was the live-action game show with Rockapella doing the theme song, and there was also the cartoon show that had a ton of random real facts thrown in. I loved both. I still remember the longest word in English (pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis) from an episode of the cartoon.

beans
Cool Hand

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2006, 11:21:03 PM »

It skipped my mind earlier, but it's worth mentioning, because it was pretty damned good.  The Dungeons and Dragons Cartoon...

I think I have Hank to thank for Rangers becoming my favorite class...

Bobby the Barbarian!

Still trying to shoot the damn dog in Duck Hunt.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2006, 10:53:21 AM »

Ah yes Dave.  I too was an avid watcher of pro wrestling as a kid.  That was back with guys like Hulk Hogan, Andre the Giant, King Kong Bundy, Ricky the dragon Steamboat, Jake the Snake...

Heh, I used to hate wearing a seatbelt in the car as a kid because it was uncomfortable and my parents couldn't do anything to get me to wear one... but when I saw Hulk Hogan doing a spot saying you can only be a true Hulkamaniac if you wear your seatbelt, that was it for me and I've worn a seatbelt ever since.  After all, the biggest thing in the world back then was to be a Hulkamaniac.  

And I remember when Nickelodeon was good.  Though I like Spongebob and Fairly Oddparents (I love the writing on FO), those shows don't compare to classics like David the Gnome and their animated retellings of Grimm's fairy tales (which were always awesome.)  The animation was gorgeous on the latter two.  And live shows like Mr. Wizard, and Nick Arcade.  Boss!

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
beans
Cool Hand

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2006, 02:15:12 PM »

Rowdy Roddy Piper vs. Jimmy Snuka...  those were some good matches.

Still trying to shoot the damn dog in Duck Hunt.
Dave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2006, 02:32:41 AM »

I remember when I first got into wrestling, and Sgt. Slaughter turned Iraqi during the Gulf War and fought Hogan.

It was like WWF meets G.I. Joe. That was awesome. That match in and of itself, though, must have sucked. I'm so glad I don't remember that part. :P

ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2006, 11:14:25 AM »

The batman and superman cartoons, Animaniacs, Tom & Jerry kids, and unfortunately the mario bros and zelda cartoons. The latter of those has scarred me for life, with its "Excuuuuuuuuuse me, Princess!" line said in every episode. Oh yeah I remember watching all those Disney cartoons like Count Dookula and the Goof Troop (Yes, I was an idiot when I was a kid). I think those were  the main ones, other than Power Rangers. I can't believe I used to watch every episode of that...

And being a teenager, I was a kid not so long ago, so until about 4 or 5 years ago I watched Pokemon (ugh), Digimon (I used to think it "wasn't bad" for some reason) and even Cardcaptors (quite possibly the stupidest program I've ever seen - I think I just watched it for that reason). I used to have all of the pokemon movies on video... *bangs head on desk* Thank god I grew out of that phase.
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2006, 11:40:46 AM »

Talespin, Ducktales, Voltron, GI Joe, Mortal Kombat the TV Series, Nick Arcade, Double Dare, David the Gnome, Bucky o Hare, Mighty Max, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Gummi Bears, Captain Planet, Beetlejuice, Pete and Pete, Are you Afraid of the Dark, Hey Dude, Eureeka's Castle, MacGyver, Renegade, The Rockford Files, The A Team, Highlander, Boy Meets World, The Wonder Years, Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek: DS9, Family Matters, The Fresh Prince of BelAir, All That, X Men, Reboot, Beast Wars, Freakazoid, Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego, Wishbone, Ghostwriter, Cheers, Xena, Mr. Wizard's World

And probably an assload more.

ZE GRAND MASTER

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2006, 03:27:54 PM »

Sheesh. Your childhood must have entirely consisted of watching TV. Or rather, you remember every program you ever watched. There are loads of things there I remember watching now - Captain Planet, Reboot, etc. Oh one more thing - did anyone watch Thunderbirds or Stingray or Captain Scarlet? Or maybe that's just me...
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2006, 10:28:30 PM »

When I was a kid? Shit, in the 70's and 80's... The Muppets, The Smurfs, later on He-Man. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and The Pirates Of Dark Water were about the last "kiddie" toons I watched.

As for sitcoms, Family Ties, MASH, All In The Family, Sanford And Son, early Cosby Show seasons. Also those hour long Walt Diney specials that would be on each week. Sometimes they were cartoons, sometimes sort of documentaries, movies, etc.
Nutbar

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2006, 07:02:39 PM »

Quote from: "ZE GRAND MASTER"
Sheesh.  did anyone watch Thunderbirds or Stingray or Captain Scarlet? Or maybe that's just me...

Yes to all three. I remember loads of stuff on tv from when I was younger; at the really young end there was stuff like Superted (gay skeleton, lol) and the Poddington Peas....which everyone seems to know after a night at the clubs :/

other stuff as well, TMNT, smurfs, secret squirell, Recess, The amazing spiderman , Saved by the Bell, Sabrina, and THE ANIMALS OF FARTHING WOOD. All awesome for one reason or another in my book.

I watched other stuff, like the two sonic cartoons (I always liked the darker one but I think they must have shown only one season here because I remember it ending on a real cliff hanger) and Power Rangers, and (oh God...) Mighty Max, but the programmes above were the ones I watched semi-religiously at different times in my youth.

Looking back, Carmen Sandiago had a pretty good concept and was good to watch, but I was too young to take in the cool facts.
ZE GRAND MASTER

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2006, 05:31:43 PM »

I watched pretty much the same things. I'd forgotten about Superted and the Poddington peas, though - i think the latter had a stupid theme tune. I think i watched one episode of that Sonic cartoon - Sonic Underground, i think it was called - and i thought it was shit. Recess used to be watched by everyone in my family - we thought it was like the best program ever, for some reason. You thought the Animals of Farthing wood was awesome? lol
Nutbar

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2006, 04:46:36 PM »

Quote from: "ZE GRAND MASTER"
I watched pretty much the same things. I'd forgotten about Superted and the Poddington peas, though - i think the latter had a stupid theme tune. I think i watched one episode of that Sonic cartoon - Sonic Underground, i think it was called - and i thought it was shit. Recess used to be watched by everyone in my family - we thought it was like the best program ever, for some reason. You thought the Animals of Farthing wood was awesome? lol

I still know most of the Poddington Peas theme tune :P. Sonic Underground is crap yes, there were however 2 sonic cartoons that were half decent and came out before it. Everyone loved Recess, I still appreciate it now because some episodes are steeped in references or parodies to great books and films.

I have a great memory of Farthing wood, simply because it was the first cartoon I watched that was driven primarily by an on-going story, not just generic escapdes week in, week out. The fact that it showed death and its consequences earns it alot of respect in my book too.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: