Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 03:14:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
318914 Posts in 13029 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  What did you watch?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: What did you watch?  (Read 4737 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: July 16, 2006, 06:51:37 PM »

Allow me to fully explain.  What did you watch when you were a kid?
I personally think nearly 80% of us liked Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, the old Batman cartoon was pretty good, and Animaniacs was a classic (mainly because not ALL jokes were child oriented).
Anyone else remember all the shitty corny sitcoms that everyone loved too (Saved by the Bell and Fullhouse are up there).

http://www.retrojunk.com/
(good website for any folks looking for nostaligia)

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
JetEnduro

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006, 08:09:07 PM »

Damn! you just listed about every show/cartoon I watched as a kid. Add most of those teenish shows on Nickolodean(sp?).Hey Dude, some camp show I fogot the name, Pete & Pete). Those were the Ol' days.
Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 08:11:53 PM »

Growing up in the 90's, I think I got the last throws of quality shows on Nick and Cartoon Network. I got to enjoy Ren and Stimpy, Hey Arnold, early Spongebob, as well as Gundam Wing, Big O...man. I can't remember a lot of the shows I used to watch. When I think of some more, I'll do some more reminiscing.
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 09:15:22 PM »

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Duck Tales, and the old Ghost Busters cartoon dominated my television time when I was a kid. I had the brief Power Rangers stint that lasted about a year and a half. Following that was a love for the two Sonic the Hedgehog cartoons. One was called "Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog" and was on every morning on a TV station that disappeared. This one was all about humor. The other was just called "Sonic the Hedgehog" and was on ABC very early Saturday mornings...at least I think. This one was a lot darker and was very often not humorous. The animation was also a lot better. Need I mention that Robotnik had a totally badass voice? Now that I think about it, this was probably my first anime.

As far as non-cartoons go there was only one show that mattered: Saved by the Bell. I don't care what anyone says about them being stupid or poorly made and etc., I still hold the show in the highest esteem.

Yes, Power Rangers is/was live action. But aside from that it really doesn't have any other differences separating it from being classified as a cartoon :P
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2006, 09:23:00 PM »

Its ok, I was gonna say Power Rangers anyways.

I feel bad about forgetting Ren & Stimpy.  Duckman is also on my favorites list.
Early Simpsons was probably the long lasting childhood fav.

Speaking of cartoon companies, we need more shows like Birdman to rekindle the love for the old shit we loved. =P

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2006, 09:51:53 PM »

GEEE

EYE

JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOE
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006, 09:58:48 PM »

I was obsessed with 1980s cartoons.  The 1980s were the absolute best decade for cartoons, hands down! This is not an opinion, but a fact.  How could anyone not swoon over classics like Jem, Transformers, He-Man, She-Ra, Voltron, Smurfs, Snorks, The Raccoons, Mighty Orbots, Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors, Inhumanoids, Visionaries, GI Joe, Spiral Zone, Turbo Teen, Saber Rider, Thundercats, Silverhawks, Dennis the Menace, Go-Bots, Muppet Babies, Rock Lords, Vytor, BlackStar, Bigfoot and the Muscle Machines, M.A.S.K., Spider Man and his Amazing Friends, Mysterious Cities of Gold, Ulysses 3030, The Little Prince, Rupert the Bear, Beverly Hills Teens, Johnny Quest, Sky Commanders, various Disney series like Duck Tales, Gummi Bears...

*deep breath* I know I'm forgetting a LOT, but I think you get the idea.

My faves were definitely the ones based around Hasbro toys.  Transformers and Jem pwned your souls.  GI Joe was awesome too.

I approve of this nonsense!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006, 11:57:35 PM »

I grew up on 80's and early 90's cartoons, but it's the ones from the 80's I think I'm the fondest of, half because of the overbearing power of nostalgia. Transformers was easily my favorite cartoon, and I think only one person I've seen that isn't above 30 flat out didn't like it (hey there Tranny).

However, I think I can watch and enjoy cartoons of the early 90's easier than many of those from the 80's; Rocko is still funny, I might be able to enjoy Tiny Toons, and Animaniacs is good too. But upon seeing Silver Hawk and Thundercats again, I couldn't stand them. Transformers was still awesome when I last saw it (admittedly back when I was 13 or 14), which was the same time I last watched Silverhawks and Thundercats.
beans
Cool Hand

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2006, 02:48:15 PM »

What Dincrest said...

Add to that Thundarr the Barbarian, Crystar and the Crystal warriors, Starriors and Robotech to what I watched, on top of most of dezo's list. Blackstar is one of my personal favorites.

Along with all those awesome shows... were some of the coolest toys ever. =)

Still trying to shoot the damn dog in Duck Hunt.
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2006, 03:04:39 PM »

I too grew up in the late 80s, early 90s. Back in those days, anime was really big in Sweden. Of course, nobody knew that it was anime, only that these were some really awesome cartoons. I used to watch stuff like Rai The Caveboy (prolly not the correct english title), Silver Fang, Ballatack, Starzinger/Spacekeeters, Galaxy Express 999, Space Adventure Cobra and, of course, Robotek. I guess it was this period in my life that laid down the foundation for  my love for japanese pop culture.

There was other stuff as well. Eric the Bananaman, Thundercats, He-Man and, embarassingly, My Little Pony all livened up my childhood days.

And, later on, I liked watching the Disney weekly cartoons. Darkwing Duck was the favourite, even if I quite enjoyed Chip'n'Dale: Rescue Rangers as well.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2006, 03:59:07 PM »

I remember getting up at fucking 6:30 in the morning on Saturdays to watch Robotech.  I loved that show to death, which is kinda ironic, being that I can't  tolerate anything that smacks of Japanese animation anymore.

I loved He-Man and She-Ra back in the day, too.  There used to be a particularly embarassing photo of me out there as a kid running around in my underwear and wearing a She-Ra mask.  I had to destroy that photo during my senior year of high school, because my sister threatened to give it to the annual staff for inclusion as my baby picture. :P

I sorta liked Thundercats too, but only because I thought Mumm-Ra was the fucking shit.

Quote from: "Dincrest"
I was obsessed with 1980s cartoons.  The 1980s were the absolute best decade for cartoons, hands down! This is not an opinion, but a fact.  How could anyone not swoon over classics like Jem, Transformers, He-Man, She-Ra, Voltron, Smurfs, Snorks, The Raccoons, Mighty Orbots, Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors, Inhumanoids, Visionaries, GI Joe, Spiral Zone, Turbo Teen, Saber Rider, Thundercats, Silverhawks, Dennis the Menace, Go-Bots, Muppet Babies, Rock Lords, Vytor, BlackStar, Bigfoot and the Muscle Machines, M.A.S.K., Spider Man and his Amazing Friends, Mysterious Cities of Gold, Ulysses 3030, The Little Prince, Rupert the Bear, Beverly Hills Teens, Johnny Quest, Sky Commanders, various Disney series like Duck Tales, Gummi Bears...

*deep breath* I know I'm forgetting a LOT, but I think you get the idea.

My faves were definitely the ones based around Hasbro toys.  Transformers and Jem pwned your souls.  GI Joe was awesome too.

Dude, if only I had known, I would've just come to you and got your help in identifying these  old toys I recently stumbled upon.  I put it in my LJ, but everyone who reads that is retarded, so they didn't know.  But some random stranger on the interweb saw that entry and identified them for me. :P

beans
Cool Hand

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2006, 04:46:37 PM »

The figure on the left is a Sectaur Warrior, named Mantor I believe.

The thing on the right looks like an Inhumanoid monster... definately has the same glass type eyes inhumaoids used...

The one in the Middle is the main badguy from Silverhawks I think.

*edit*

afterwards... I notice you said you had them identified... go me for half-reading...  so was I close?

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2006, 05:14:36 PM »

Nah, not close...more like 100% correct. :P

beans
Cool Hand

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2006, 05:45:12 PM »

I had the sectaur guy, so I remembered him... the other two just looked familiar from what I remembered in the cartoons.

I feel old...

...least my memories not shot.  

?  Who said that? where am I?

Pudding!

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2006, 05:55:13 PM »

I only recognized Monstarr from Silverhawks (the red guy) immediately.  

And the toys were awesome back in the day.  I remember the good old days when Transformers were mostly made out of metal and you could actually hurt someone on the playground with them.  Or the girls would use the hand of a Jem doll to poke someone's eye out.  Oh yeah!  

Enough about that... and though the Hanna-Barbera classics were from the 1970s, I watched them avidly as reruns in the 80s.  I still enjoy Scooby-Doo, Josie & the Pussycats.

I approve of this nonsense!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: