Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 16, 2014, 05:46:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331390 Posts in 13572 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  New NIS announcements - Battle Princess Arcadia and Fencer Fairy F for NA
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: New NIS announcements - Battle Princess Arcadia and Fencer Fairy F for NA  (Read 2821 times)
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2014, 10:37:27 PM »

I'm double posting because my last post was well over a week ago and thus an "edit" seems improper.

I gave some more time to Battle Princess and I feel a bit warmer toward the title. In a mindless "90's fantasy anime" sort of way, the tone is very satisfying if your in the mood for that.

As for the mechanics, they are growing on me too. You really can't approach this game like you would a typical side-scrolling rpg-lite hack and slash. Once I figured that out, things began to feel MUCH better.

Is anyone else playing/enjoying (or even hating) this by chance or am I the lone princess here?

I bought it, but I haven't played too much of it because I find it incredibly difficult.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2014, 10:54:54 PM »

I have a review of Battle Princess of Arcadias forthcoming. 

That is awesome! I actually thought of you when I started playing it because it reminded me of my time with Sorcerer Hunters last summer (which you you turned my attention to).... Don't ask why it reminds me of SH. There is really no resemblance barring the anime aesthetic.

I bought it, but I haven't played too much of it because I find it incredibly difficult.

Defend... Defend a lot. In fact just get used to defending THEN attacking. That approach has changed this from "tear my hair out" to "oh, I get it now!"- LoL

That is what I meant by totally not how I would typically approach gameplay in a title like this. I expected to just mash out flashy sword combos that tore stuff up at warp nine with the fluidity of chinese monk doing water sports. NOT the case here. Defensive methodical play is a must. I actually have to tip my hat to NIS for making a title like this play and feel like this.

Then again, I too am not far. I may change my tune. Time will tell.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2014, 06:50:10 PM »

My review is up, and I thoroughly second Klyde's advice.  Defend.  Defend like your life depends on it.  Defend like Guillermo Ochoa and Tim Howard in the World Cup.  And when leveling up your brigades, power-level Plume's first and do not hedge your bets right away.  My review offers a couple of hints on how to work the system early on so that the game becomes easier and more fun in the long run.

This is one of those games that starts out cheaply difficult, but gets a LOT easier as it progresses.  
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 04:55:38 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2014, 08:58:05 PM »

Excellent review Din!

I feel like this game got WAY too much credit in other reviews. While it is super original in terms of the mechanics and how it feels, that doesn't translate to "good". I saw this got 4 out of 5's elsewhere and whatnot... it simply is too flawed to deserve that, but to make matters worse quite a few reviews made NO MENTION of some of the harsh barriers this game presents the player (such as the immediate need to grind your ass off to get anywhere).

That being said, I can't put my finger on quite why it feels enjoyable, refreshing and somewhat addictive to me. I am admittingly enjoying a somewhat frustrating experience with the title if for no other reason than the challenge and soundtrack, odd as that might be.

I think the big key to finding Arcadia pleasurable is acceptance. Acceptance that you don't in fact know what is happening in terms of the narrative. Acceptance that the cast, nor any other aspect, is intended as deep or meaningful. I felt your review prepares people ahead of time to the necessity of that perspective when considering picking this up.

Triscal-Goddess / PSN
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2014, 09:50:28 PM »

Once I got into a rhythm with the game, it became kinda comforting.  It's like the tsundere girl; she puts up fronts and barriers at first, you break them down, then you hang around because you want to reap the rewards of a sweetheart after breaking down the cold-hard-bitch front.  

And eventually my Plume started becoming so powerful that she (and her brigade) could annihilate stages by themselves.  

EDIT: I think a lot of people were taken by the breath of fresh air that an RPG that looks like it should play a certain way makes you think differently.  Like, I remember when Persona 2: Eternal Punishment came out back in late 2000.  Turn-based JRPG, sure, but if you approached it like a Final Fantasy game and went on "turn-based JRPG autopilot" you'd be toast.  A lot of people complained that it was too hard but it really wasn't if you just altered your thinking a little bit. 
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 04:54:50 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Today at 05:24:55 PM »

So I'm reading/hearing some "not so terrible" impressions of Fairy Fencer F. Anybody picking this up?? I was highly considering it myself (once I finish Xillia 2) and the positive remarks I've been hearing about the soundtrack and over-all production value are swaying me.

I'm just not sure if I am ready/willing to play through another Hyperdimension title yet. LoL

What concerns me the most is the fact that I hear the game is pretty easy. Easy + turn based combat + lighthearted anime narrative = boredom for me. 

Triscal-Goddess / PSN
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: