Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 12:40:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334401 Posts in 13701 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Dice plays FF7 (Sponsored by Maxx)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Dice plays FF7 (Sponsored by Maxx)  (Read 1320 times)
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2014, 10:18:30 PM »

Dice, you're my heroin(e).

Really enjoying this thread.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2014, 08:06:42 PM »

Your impressions are awesome, really makes me want to replay the game. Must resist those urges though, whenever I touch FF7 again I want to see the whole compilation through to the end(even with it's disasters, I do like Crisis Core and enjoy AC on a superficial level).

AC is probably best enjoyed when your turn off your brain and enjoy the pretty graphics.
Dear lord for a film made so recently[ish] you'd think the dub would be better.  It's so flat and sad sounding.  I also think AC really misses the tone of the game; the game knew when to be fun and sweet and serious, but it switched all that out for some teen-level melodrama.

I recommend it; I'm really having a great time again with FF7.  Of course, it's been a while so it feels quite fresh.

Dice, you're my heroin(e).

Really enjoying this thread.

Your welcome Ramza.  I truly try to see relevant things... sometimes I skip that and go into stupid territory of dumbass commentary... But I'm glad it's worth reading!

One thing I will never forget is how I felt when I first escaped Midgar, I thought the whole game was going to take place in Midgar since it seemed so huge like a world of its own. Then out of no where I am making my escape with a awesome motorcycle mini game to freedom and when I was finally free I was greeted by this beautiful colorful world full of adventure.

I had the same feeling in FF13 when you finally get off the one way areas out into the open fields but I was greeted by the most annoying combat and endless grinding that I never want to remember.

FF13 took what Midgar was in concept and turned it into a bit of a joke.  I don't know how a series of such esteem complete lose sight of what its fans like about the previous games.  Whoever decided on corridor-dungeon for the first 10+[!!!] gameplay hours should have been demoted.

But indeed, Midgar was really something and incredibly well thought-out.  A game within a game almost since the pace within and the world outside are really like night and day.

That's one of my favorite overall themes in the game- how every character believes something that is untrue. 

I'm good to make points, but I'm pretty garbage to find "the bigger picture".  Indeed, I didn't actually put that together myself between finding and what's truth and what's fiction.  It certainly seems like they all deal with similar core issues in very different ways.

The Narshe Defense battles are more about attrition than anything else really. Fort Condor is more of a question of how much money are you willing to sink into this minigame. At least its quite a bit more RTS than the Narshe stuff since you can't just out-level the competition and you have to pay attention to what troops you use and what remains.

You'll be seeing the Black Caped people soon enough. Nibelheim and the North Crater are where they show up in force.

My issue with the character chapters in FFVII is that unlike in FFVI where they were more necessary, this particular part of FFVII is basically where the game spends its time giving the characters who really don't matter to the main plot of the game their moment in the spotlight (and really, even FFVI revisited character arcs at least once more; Gau, Setzler, and Mog are the only ones who really get shortchanged on this (and Mog kinda falls in with Umaro and Gogo in optional character status)). Once these are done, Red's and Barret's role in the plot consists of little more than adding their own flavor of commentary (and in Barret's case, maybe a date with Cloud). When you think about it, of the Midgar 5, these two are kinda stragglers to the main plot (Cloud and Tifa both have Nibelheim, Sephiroth, and each other; Aeris/th has a bunch of stuff implied with Zack, her Parents, the whole Ancients business and the end of disk 1; and the others didn't join till later and thus will receive their development later or are optional). Hell, even Yuffie has two segments to herself even though she's optional.

Deathblow is a good Materia for when you get it since its quite literally Critical Hits on Command, but eventually it will become less relevant as enemies gain more Deathblow resistance, that damage cap rears its ugly head and Double Cut comes along. Its also required as one of the seven Command Materia needed to make a Master Command Materia.

At least there are definitely good reasons to like North Coral and Cosmo Canyon, even if I feel like that whole segment drags like hell (especially you Desert Prison). That said, Gongaga Village to me has always been little more than a Wide Spot on the Road with a random (and much easier) fight with the Turks (seriously, Seal Evil is hilariously gamebreaking for when you have it, getting Vincent on your first pass through Nibelheim proper is hella easy with it) and a Titan Materia.
[/quote]

The Desert Prison segment would be a bit better if it didn't have the stupid Choco Race tacked onto it for the arbitrary reason of winning means letting a convict go (which is odd for anyone but our actually innocent party).

I said 'fuckit' to Deathblow, so thanks!

And I think a running problem with a lot of RPGs is how useful the supporting cast is outside of the main hero or side events.  I give the Tales series credit for at least making their party incredibly chatty and interactive so it feels less like "make X chip in here".  But I guess it's tough besides "FINAL BOSS has ruined my life!".  *shrug*.
Tales of the Abyss (as you might have guessed) holds a special place in my heart, and certainly that's one reason why.

In the end though, I think FF9, despite how loveable the cast was, was one of the worst offenders.  Amarant's main 'scenario' was that he fell in a dungeon, Freya has an amnesiac lover that's not really important again after Disc 1, Steiner LITERALLY tags along for his Princess (which totally works for his character, but development was slow otherwise; and arguably stronger with Beatrix), and Quina is hungry and tagged along.  I do like how Zidane became much, much more relevant to the plot however as the game went on; starting from "lucky ass thief" to integral to the whole thing (even superseding Garnet's "magic waif"/magical girl status).

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2014, 07:42:04 AM »

Maxxs' recipe for end game boss peacemaker pudding (of friendship):
Code:
Fill half a cup with KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND (TABLE) and mix in DOUBLE CAST until it's nice and creamy.
Once ready, glaze with 2 or 3 spoons of MIMIC and serve cold.
There you have it. A sure way to end any fight before it even starts!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 07:44:16 AM by Maxximum » Logged

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2014, 09:11:56 AM »

You missed the part where you go make a cup of tea while all those effects resolve.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2014, 10:40:29 AM »

I've enjoyed reading this as well. Way back in 1997(DAMN) when I played it I had no clue what the story was really all about. I didn't even follow the Cloud/Zack business. Yeah, I was stupid. It was also right at the time when I met my wife, so I was just a teensy bit distracted.
The end battles weren't so easy for me, as I never got KOTR, or any of the super anythings.

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
glassjawsh
insolent cur

This tomb will be your grave

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2014, 01:04:07 PM »

Some thoughts:

A kid born when FFVII came out will graduate high school during the '14-15 school year (at least in Indiana they will). 

I got this game for Christmas in 1997 and took down Sephiroth for the first time a few months later (after waiting for my older brother to finish). I was in the 7th grade. Jesus Christ I've been a game dork for a long time.

I remember being IN ABSOLUTE AWE of the the graphics the first time your airship pulled up on Vector or even at the beginning of the game when Terra and the soldiers are trudging through the snow towards Narche in FFVI (the video of which cannot be watched enough http://youtu.be/SJiepBCLUlA?t=23s). So when I first fired up FFVII and saw that train roll into the sector 5 mako reactor station I nearly hyperventilated.  I actually ended up watching it 4 or 5 times in succession just to let everything sink it. 

I feel like a lot of people that were too young to experience it first hand forget what a huge leap this game really was from anything most of us had seen before.  It might seem clunky or over the top now, and it's almost universally derided by the younger fans for it, but at the time, my God the leap from VI to VII (or from Chrono Trigger to VII, or even from older PSX titles like Breath of Fire III) was almost too much for my adolescent brain to process.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 01:06:28 PM by glassjawsh » Logged

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunderthumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2014, 06:16:14 PM »

Like everyone, I too am enjoying this log because it reminds me of why I fell for FF7 in the first place.  I had a love-hate relationship with that game, but now it's love.  

Thinking back about analyzing the theme of how every character believes something that is untrue.  e.g. Cloud believed he was Zack.  Aeris believed her materia was useless.  Red believed his father was a coward.  Sephiroth believed he was a descendent of Jenova.  Cid believed that Shera took a piss on his dream.  Etc.  

Speaking of, while that scene at the end of disk 1 was a shocker that made a lot of gamers cry, I felt that the greatest source of pathos in the game was the Cid and Shera scenario where she aborted the launch due to a faulty tank and Cid held a grudge against her for a long time for killing his dream.  I thought Shera's story was the saddest in the game.  For her to endure the abuse from Cid for so long, that's a tragic plight; especially knowing that she saved his life and he won't believe that.  Poor Shera. 

And the scene where Red learns the truth about his father, howls at his dad's statue and it sheds a tear was pretty emotional.  
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 06:23:30 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2014, 09:27:41 PM »

Code:
Fill half a cup with KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND (TABLE) and mix in DOUBLE CAST until it's nice and creamy.

Why not just set it up so one person has 7777 against Emmy?
You can have a nap while it plays out.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2014, 09:45:13 PM »

Or you can do what I did and purely by chance go into the battle with Cait Sith's slots maxed out and get instant death first try.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2014, 12:48:50 AM »

Or come with maxed level 4 Limit Breaks 4x Cuts for everybody.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2014, 01:06:58 AM »

I felt that the greatest source of pathos in the game was the Cid and Shera scenario where she aborted the launch due to a faulty tank and Cid held a grudge against her for a long time for killing his dream.  I thought Shera's story was the saddest in the game.  For her to endure the abuse from Cid for so long, that's a tragic plight; especially knowing that she saved his life and he won't believe that.  Poor Shera. 

Cid/Shera's story is amazing, he's my favorite Cid in the series; I didn't fully appreciate him and Shera until replays.  He's just such a broken man, with broken dreams, whose hope was shattered by Shinra in a way very similar to Barret's and Shera is a broken woman filled with regret who beats herself more than Cid ever can.

Also, he has an amazing character theme remix.  Very western.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOX4AxH83vo
(Have I mentioned FFVII has great music? Because it has a lot of great music).
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2014, 01:55:57 AM »

I felt that the greatest source of pathos in the game was the Cid and Shera scenario where she aborted the launch due to a faulty tank and Cid held a grudge against her for a long time for killing his dream.  I thought Shera's story was the saddest in the game.  For her to endure the abuse from Cid for so long, that's a tragic plight; especially knowing that she saved his life and he won't believe that.  Poor Shera. 

Cid/Shera's story is amazing, he's my favorite Cid in the series; I didn't fully appreciate him and Shera until replays.  He's just such a broken man, with broken dreams, whose hope was shattered by Shinra in a way very similar to Barret's and Shera is a broken woman filled with regret who beats herself more than Cid ever can.

Also, he has an amazing character theme remix.  Very western.

He's also got the goofiest running animation in the series, and gains the coveted position of party leader which no Cid before or since can claim.

Still like FFIV's Cid doing everything he can to get himself killed off and only managing to get himself sick with the flu, but VII's Cid is definitely in the Top 3.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2014, 12:53:01 AM »

Code:

I love games that you can cheat the hell out of.  I intend to get KotR (expect less updates in that stupid f%^&*ing week when I gotta inbreed a bunch of birds).

But I love that there are so many ways to be an absolute dick to enemies and that the challenges with the end-game super weapons provide some difficulty.

I felt that the greatest source of pathos in the game was the Cid and Shera scenario where she aborted the launch due to a faulty tank and Cid held a grudge against her for a long time for killing his dream.  I thought Shera's story was the saddest in the game.  For her to endure the abuse from Cid for so long, that's a tragic plight; especially knowing that she saved his life and he won't believe that.  Poor Shera.  

Cid/Shera's story is amazing, he's my favorite Cid in the series; I didn't fully appreciate him and Shera until replays.  He's just such a broken man, with broken dreams, whose hope was shattered by Shinra in a way very similar to Barret's and Shera is a broken woman filled with regret who beats herself more than Cid ever can.

Also, he has an amazing character theme remix.  Very western.

I always thought his theme stuck out too, and the fact you're noting it has a very "western sound" to it seems...pretty spot on.  I think if you lumped the shitty terrible world map theme that plays when Meteor is in the sky, mixed it with Cid's theme, you'd get The Terminator Theme which is about as Amurrican as it gets I think.

I felt that the greatest source of pathos in the game was the Cid and Shera scenario where she aborted the launch due to a faulty tank and Cid held a grudge against her for a long time for killing his dream.  I thought Shera's story was the saddest in the game.  For her to endure the abuse from Cid for so long, that's a tragic plight; especially knowing that she saved his life and he won't believe that.  Poor Shera.  

Cid/Shera's story is amazing, he's my favorite Cid in the series; I didn't fully appreciate him and Shera until replays.  He's just such a broken man, with broken dreams, whose hope was shattered by Shinra in a way very similar to Barret's and Shera is a broken woman filled with regret who beats herself more than Cid ever can.

Also, he has an amazing character theme remix.  Very western.

He's also got the goofiest running animation in the series, and gains the coveted position of party leader which no Cid before or since can claim.

Still like FFIV's Cid doing everything he can to get himself killed off and only managing to get himself sick with the flu, but VII's Cid is definitely in the Top 3.

Dammit I don't wanna talk about it till my LP get's there!!! >:(
But he has THE best run ever (iirc Advent Children was keen to capture that detail as well).

Oh and BONUS from the INTERNET:
http://youtu.be/h4aPvJmwv3o
Cid and Shera's Gold Saucer date.  

Cid would agree, It's $%&@#ing perfect.  ..and also probably better written than the actual in-game dialogue.  And funny. ...and...Ciddy.

EDIT: Ah fuck it, here's what I had

Yes, I agree Cyril, his story is a lot sweeter than I ever gave it credit for.  Rather, saying he "lost his dream" is still pretty impactful to me as a kid playing this, but I've also had more time to think about it as an adult!  Indeed, the guy is hurting from having to postpone (perhaps indefinitely) his dream of going into space; but clearly the weight of that wasn't as much as the weight on his conscious if he'd have gone through with the launch and killed Shera (sure you see the stars and the planet, but look what tragedy just happened because of it!!  I'd probably put a damper on things, huh?).  

I like that his meaness is rendered ineffective by Shera's thoughtfulness and guilt about the situation (and their relationship isn't moving anywhere).  But I can only imagine the "debt" felt by being saved by someone who lost something so great to him as well.  I think what I'm saying is, they're both reacting terribly to the situation, but it'd be hard to decide how to actually treat the situation as well since they were both stuck between a rock and a hard place.

At least it wraps up nicely in the end.  :D
I'm kinda sad they never showed her in the later FF7 iterations.  She really looks goofy in-game (cute, but goofy). x)

However.... for Cid claiming to be the "best pilot in the world" and on his way to be the first astronaut ever, his lack of empathy for Shera checking the oxygen tanks is a pretty big oversight on him as a professional.  ....I'll just say he's excited...  :S

I also love the entire sequence; the live countdown really puts the pressure on and make it more than just a typical game scene since we the audience are also given those 30 seconds to see how it unfolds.  Plus the FMV is done to look like static-y test footage (hard to tell in the video link, but it's there), and that's kinda cool too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A2s_4eQIPg#t=146
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 01:23:27 AM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2014, 02:25:52 AM »

Out of all the character (music) themes, I find that Cid is the one that fits the best.

The notes going higher and higher show a progress or in this case, the working towards a dream and yet the slow beat brings a sort of melancholy.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 02:35:22 AM by Annubis » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: