Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 08:17:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330159 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Tales of PlayStation(s) revealed
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 99 Print
Author Topic: Tales of PlayStation(s) revealed  (Read 92264 times)
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #1080 on: February 06, 2014, 06:12:32 PM »

Nothing wrong with enjoying them all, Serene! :) As for ToS2, you'll probably see it's problems within moments of playing! ...But, maybe you'll enjoy it anyway! ;)

Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1081 on: February 06, 2014, 06:55:42 PM »

Man, after reading the past few pages on peoples opinions on the various games in the series they have played...I have realized I must just have really low standards..or don't really analyze the games I am playing when I do play them.  Its usually either I like it, or I don't I never really put thought into it beyond that :P.  And so far every Tales game i've played (starting with Destiny which im sure wouldnt hold up if I played it again, but which I loved back when I first played it, which was a little after FF8 came out.) I have really enjoyed.  I will say Vesperia for me was the best, I enjoyed the characters and world the most.  The other games I maybe had a few nitpicks over, but yeah lol.  I will probably be getting the HD collection simply because Ive never played either game, and ToS is considered a favorite among a few good friends of mine.  Plus I kinda wanna see what is so terrible about 2.

If you've got low standards then so do I. I've enjoyed each Tales game I've played as well. While I admit some really shine in various respects, more so than others.

Vesperia is what I am currently playing. About 45 hours into it. I won't make any bold statements yet (until I finish it) but this may be shaping up to be not only my favorite tales but one of top games for the generation IMO.

While I still have a bit of catching up to do with the last generation (still present gen in my world, and will be for at least another year or 2), my enjoyment with Vesperia has been comparable to that of Xenoblade and Ni No Kuni. And that my friends, is BIG TIME FUN! LoL

The joy of Vesperia has pretty much boiled down to the cast and environments for me. Both of which are a few notches above the "Tales of" bar so to speak. Subjectively speaking, I feel like this game is tailored to my own particular tastes to an almost eerie degree.

Additionally, the plot and writing are just freakin' stellar. The story is not predictable by any means, but every twist and turn I have encountered thus far has yet to leave me scratching my head or feeling like anything has become incoherent. I can't speak much more about that until I get to and through the final act.

My only complaint is that I feel the world could have been bigger. Not that it is small... but few more continents and with some other kingdoms/tribes/peoples would have been nice.

EDIT!! I forgot to comment on this...

Thanks Klyde.  I kinda wanna make a classic RPG revival/nostalgia thread right now... they had that ...jeux ne sais quoi

Eternia is my "unsuspected favorite".  The world is especially beautiful, the 2D background art makes every place look cozy and wonderful.  The battle system can be fun (magic is particularly well done, I'm sad they never did a Craymel Cage again) and there is a ton of sidequests!

I second the motion to create that thread... In some ways, nostalgia aside I miss older gen RPG's A LOT. I used to once believe it was purely nostalgia but after playing lots of oldies over the last few years with zero nostalgic value, I've come to realize they were just a wee bit of a different breed altogether. While that "other breed" may be outdated and poorly aged I appreciate them for what they are in a unique way.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 07:17:21 PM by Klyde Chroma » Logged

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
FallenGrace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1082 on: February 08, 2014, 05:37:50 AM »

I've only played a few, many didn't get EU releases or came to consoles I didn't own (Vesperia, 3DS release of Abyss) but I really loved Xillia, Eternia, Symphonia. The only I didn't was Graces, great battle system, stupid whiny cast though....ugh.

Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1083 on: February 09, 2014, 06:33:03 PM »

Ok, so I spoke too soon on the Vesperia plot. I did end up getting a wee bit confused after my session with it last night... No major confusion, but if anyone could offer some plot clarification on a minor point I would appreciate it :)

Here is what I missed/didn't quite understand

Code:
I just rescued Estelle from Alexei at Zaphias (the capital) and she was being controlled via the use of the Apatheia and Alexei's formula/code. That much I gathered... I also understood Alexei's method of control involved the use of the barrier blastia... what I did not understand was what the problem was after Estelle is rescued... she is "stable" (so says Rita) but only so within the  city and with Dein Neimos' Aer control??? And then this whole issue is resolved by somehow sustaining Estelle's stability or well being via the use of her life force and power as the Child of the full moon... due to... Rita's handy-work???? Lastly as a result, the barrier of the city is restored because it is now no longer functioning to sustain Estelle/control over her.... Did I follow that right? I know its a minor plot point really but it bugs me that I didn't grasp it entirely due to the windy blastia jargon coupled with the fact that it was 6am and I was falling asleep-LoL

Triscal-Goddess / PSN
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1084 on: February 09, 2014, 08:25:06 PM »

Ok, so I spoke too soon on the Vesperia plot. I did end up getting a wee bit confused after my session with it last night... No major confusion, but if anyone could offer some plot clarification on a minor point I would appreciate it :)

Here is what I missed/didn't quite understand

Code:
I just rescued Estelle from Alexei at Zaphias (the capital) and she was being controlled via the use of the Apatheia and Alexei's formula/code. That much I gathered... I also understood Alexei's method of control involved the use of the barrier blastia... what I did not understand was what the problem was after Estelle is rescued... she is "stable" (so says Rita) but only so within the  city and with Dein Neimos' Aer control??? And then this whole issue is resolved by somehow sustaining Estelle's stability or well being via the use of her life force and power as the Child of the full moon... due to... Rita's handy-work???? Lastly as a result, the barrier of the city is restored because it is now no longer functioning to sustain Estelle/control over her.... Did I follow that right? I know its a minor plot point really but it bugs me that I didn't grasp it entirely due to the windy blastia jargon coupled with the fact that it was 6am and I was falling asleep-LoL

I don't think Einstein or the original writers for the plot could tell you really what's going on for certain.  I kinda just tuned that bit up to "Tales Mumbo-Jumbo"* and let the plot move on (and it does for an even more bizarre third act).

* Honestly, the plot has done this a few times.  Tales of Symphonia's talk about how to deal with mana influx becomes terribly confusing and turgid; and a lot of Abyss plot within the "Abyss" itself about particle flow is just...whatever... a means to an end, is probably the best way to describe it.  Whatever you got for from the conversation is enough and not necessary to the overall enjoyment.  Vesperia is better seen as a story about its character's growth than a story about saving the world and how it was done.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 11:49:56 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1085 on: February 09, 2014, 10:33:30 PM »

(and it does for an even more bizarre third act).

Come on!! I REALLY believed Yuri when he said this was the FINAL battle!! What a spoiler.... LoL

J/k (the internet makes it so hard to be sarcastic)

Glad to know I didn't really "miss" anything so much as it was poorly explained. I felt like an idiot last night trying to follow what was going on there.

Triscal-Goddess / PSN
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1086 on: February 12, 2014, 09:25:41 AM »

And speaking on Vesperia, just got my ass kicked on the final battle, well, not really kicked, it was close but I lost. I have to be honest I freaking despise huge final battles, drives me crazy to have played for 70-80 hours and have the game boil down to a battle against something with a gazillion hit points who has an instant death attack which I cannot hope to block and can only pray to survive with 2 hit points....dunno, maybe it's just me but I hate this kind of shit.

Everything's Eventual
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1087 on: February 12, 2014, 09:40:50 AM »

And speaking on Vesperia, just got my ass kicked on the final battle, well, not really kicked, it was close but I lost. I have to be honest I freaking despise huge final battles, drives me crazy to have played for 70-80 hours and have the game boil down to a battle against something with a gazillion hit points who has an instant death attack which I cannot hope to block and can only pray to survive with 2 hit points....dunno, maybe it's just me but I hate this kind of shit.

Didn't you hear about Eternal Support?
Late game Estelle makes it impossible to lose.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1088 on: February 12, 2014, 11:01:08 AM »

I totally agree with you... FF VIII is the worst offender of this I have experienced. I only beat that game because Phoenix randomly revived my entire party when I got wiped out. NONE of my friends have beat that game because they can't beat the final boss.

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1089 on: February 12, 2014, 05:06:00 PM »

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-02-12/ryota-ohsaka-voices-mikurio-in-tales-of-zestiria-ps3-game
NEW CHALLENGER.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1090 on: February 12, 2014, 09:06:02 PM »

How the hell is that even supposed to work?

"Great, our main character is doing one man skits again. If you and your *ahem* friend need some time to each other, we'll happily bench your ass. Wait. Did that monster suddenly expire on its own? WTF!?"

Chances are the rest of the party will gain the ability to see these mythical creatures within the first five minutes of the guy(?) joining (that or the guy(so androgynous) in question will lose either his bizbo powers or the source of said bizbo powers five minutes before he(seriously, dude looks like a lady) joins).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1091 on: February 12, 2014, 09:08:28 PM »

Yeah, they'll get to see him soon enough...

BUT

I would go and buy 20 hats, and tip every single one of them to the developers if it lasts until late game.

EDIT: fuuuuuuuu... now I want to replay Tales of Eternia and listen to Meredy speak gibberish for half the game.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 09:13:00 PM by Annubis » Logged
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1092 on: February 12, 2014, 09:30:38 PM »

EDIT: fuuuuuuuu... now I want to replay Tales of Eternia and listen to Meredy speak gibberish for half the game.

She really owns that gibberish.  I actually liked hers better than Wingull's Asian-whatever-inspired gibberish.  He was so serious sounding about it too...

I love Eternia.  If there was a game that simultaneously deserved and will never get "remake lovin' " it's ToE.

Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1093 on: February 13, 2014, 01:54:20 PM »

She really owns that gibberish.  I actually liked hers better than Wingull's Asian-whatever-inspired gibberish.  He was so serious sounding about it too...

I love Eternia.  If there was a game that simultaneously deserved and will never get "remake lovin' " it's ToE.

Voon dinentia. Ties tess tien, dio moo kwatinwanga. Lightning Nova!
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1094 on: February 17, 2014, 03:40:51 AM »

Not a Playstation game, but considering we're using this as our general Tales of thread. . .

http://gematsu.com/2014/02/tales-asteria-announced-ios-android
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 99 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: