Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 03:09:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335242 Posts in 13726 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Tales of PlayStation(s) revealed
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 106 Print
Author Topic: Tales of PlayStation(s) revealed  (Read 108161 times)
ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1110 on: February 25, 2014, 05:39:13 PM »

SO I guess Tales of Symphonia came out today. I happened to notice while browsing the PSN store that there are three separate entries?

1. Tales of Symphonia Chronicles
2. Tales of Symphonia
3. Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the New World

By my guess Chronicles is the two games combined. My question is, how much value is there in playing the after years chapter. Is it akin to playing Graces f, or more like...FFIV After Years? In essence, is the game/story worth playing, or in my case, having never played Symphonia (aside from the 1st hour on GC) should I just stick with the original?

Man, so many games to play in the upcoming months....it's ridiculous.
Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1111 on: February 25, 2014, 05:41:39 PM »

SO I guess Tales of Symphonia came out today. I happened to notice while browsing the PSN store that there are three separate entries?

1. Tales of Symphonia Chronicles
2. Tales of Symphonia
3. Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the New World

By my guess Chronicles is the two games combined. My question is, how much value is there in playing the after years chapter. Is it akin to playing Graces f, or more like...FFIV After Years? In essence, is the game/story worth playing, or in my case, having never played Symphonia (aside from the 1st hour on GC) should I just stick with the original?

The sequel is a full game, just not a very good one.  Personally I liked the new characters and story, but not how they treated the original's.
ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1112 on: February 25, 2014, 06:12:10 PM »

Perhaps I will just buy and play the symphonia by itself then, considering how much acclaimed it is.
Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1113 on: February 25, 2014, 07:03:50 PM »

THIS!!!

Picking and choosing due to the fact that one just can't play everything has been difficult for me.

All the new releases coupled with the stuff on my shelf that has been burning a hole in my soul has made for some tough choices. I finally realized if I were to try and keep up with all the new releases I would NEVER get to some of the gems from recent years I missed.

As such I elected to play Vesperia, which was entirely new to me, and skip out on Symphonia. I just finished Vesperia and was still considering running out and compulsively buying Symphonia today but with Xilia 2 also coming out later this year I'm just saying NO!! LoL

I love Tales. Truly I do. But too much of a good thing is.... well... bad for me.

Symphonia is actually the easiest "Tales" for me to turn a blind eye to. I played it during a bad period in my life that I don't care to remember, so despite it being a great game I just can't enjoy it like I could something new or from a different point in my life < < < Is that WiErD?? Maybe I'm overtly sensitive... I'm dodging FF X for the same reason. I played both back to back during the same time in my life.

EDIT: When I ask if my inclination to avoid these 2 titles is strange and I say it is due to having played them during a bad period in my life, mind you, by bad I truly mean an absolutely utterly horrific leg of my existence I have all but erased from my concious recollection... just to clarify...
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 07:09:48 PM by Klyde Chroma » Logged

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1114 on: February 26, 2014, 12:36:42 PM »

This Symphonia Collector's Edition is gorgeous.

I'm very impressed with the novel that came with it.  I was expecting 20-30 pages, not 130!  Also, and this excites me greatly, it has a nice, thick instruction booklet, of the likes I haven't see in years.

On the other hand, the artbook is miniscule.
Nel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1115 on: February 26, 2014, 12:44:35 PM »

I just got the CE in the mail. This thing is fan-freaking-tastic! I didn't expect so much swag. I thought it was just going to be an artbook, soundtrack, and figures. But the steelbook, the little novel, and the soundtrack being four discs. Incredible.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1116 on: February 26, 2014, 02:29:06 PM »

I need to find a job so I can get ToS:C
The more everyone talks about it, the more I'm interested in the game.
Klyde Chroma

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1117 on: February 26, 2014, 03:06:46 PM »

I need to find a job so I can get ToS:C
The more everyone talks about it, the more I'm interested in the game.

I am starting to feel like my post yesterday was stupid... I'm becoming more and more tempted to grab this myself. Ugh... temptation... torn.... dag nabbit.

Triscal-Goddess / PSN
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1118 on: February 26, 2014, 05:37:40 PM »

I liked ToS well enough, but when am I going to want to replay it, when my backlog is already ABSURD and there are new games I want coming out every month?  I'm guessing either never or not for a few more years.  I can wait awhile to pick this up.  It will still be around. 

Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1119 on: February 26, 2014, 05:41:42 PM »

I liked ToS well enough, but when am I going to want to replay it, when my backlog is already ABSURD and there are new games I want coming out every month?  I'm guessing either never or not for a few more years.  I can wait awhile to pick this up.  It will still be around. 
I'm in the same situation.  I don't care about HD and have more than enough to keep me busy.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1120 on: February 26, 2014, 05:47:29 PM »

I'm in the same situation.  I don't care about HD and have more than enough to keep me busy.

It's...like "HD lite".  The graphics are less blurry at least!

I think that ToS on its own for $20 on PSN is a pretty good deal for that nostalgia trip.  I think the game holds up pretty well even when you factor that nostalgia factor.

Bah.  I really don't have the heart to switch to the Japanese voices, but they liven skits up nicely.

Oh, if anyone wants:
http://web.archive.org/web/20130730215841/http://tales.namco.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=87660
The relationship guide archived from the Tales forums
Gamefaqs also has a pretty decent sub-event guide too.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Klyde Chroma

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1121 on: February 26, 2014, 06:11:57 PM »

Dice, give it to me straight here.... I need your honest answer, being the tales girl.

While I'm sort of considering going backsies on my "waiting on symphonia" stance, I still know there are way too many tales games i want to get to.

I'm sort of just falling prey to the new release excitement, and as I expressed weeks ago here I really want to get to Eternia, Destiny and Phantasia.

So my question to you specifically, although I would love anyone elses input as well, is which out of those 4 (Eternia, Destiny, Phantasia and Symphonia HD) would you suggest looking into first. I really love old hand drawn art and spritework which is part of the reason I was/am leaning toward Eternia, Destiny or Phantasia but am also feeling REALLY compelled at the moment to just say screw it and check out Symphonia.

I know you (Dice) have mentioned Eternia as your unsuspected favorite and that really sways me. But I am curious how you feel it holds up to or trumps the others.

EDIT: I must say part of the Symphonia appeal to me is superficial. I didn't know you get costumes for having Xilia and Graces save data. I love costumes... this may be a decieving my senses a bit and luring me into the wrong choice...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 06:13:38 PM by Klyde Chroma » Logged

Triscal-Goddess / PSN
Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1122 on: February 26, 2014, 06:14:55 PM »

Bah.  I really don't have the heart to switch to the Japanese voices, but they liven skits up nicely.
Are the skits not voiced in English?
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1123 on: February 26, 2014, 06:15:43 PM »

Nope, JP only.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1124 on: February 26, 2014, 06:44:39 PM »

Dice, give it to me straight here.... I need your honest answer, being the tales girl.

While I'm sort of considering going backsies on my "waiting on symphonia" stance, I still know there are way too many tales games i want to get to.

I'm sort of just falling prey to the new release excitement, and as I expressed weeks ago here I really want to get to Eternia, Destiny and Phantasia.

So my question to you specifically, although I would love anyone elses input as well, is which out of those 4 (Eternia, Destiny, Phantasia and Symphonia HD) would you suggest looking into first. I really love old hand drawn art and spritework which is part of the reason I was/am leaning toward Eternia, Destiny or Phantasia but am also feeling REALLY compelled at the moment to just say screw it and check out Symphonia.

I know you (Dice) have mentioned Eternia as your unsuspected favorite and that really sways me. But I am curious how you feel it holds up to or trumps the others.

EDIT: I must say part of the Symphonia appeal to me is superficial. I didn't know you get costumes for having Xilia and Graces save data. I love costumes... this may be a decieving my senses a bit and luring me into the wrong choice...

Phantasia is cute, sweet, and like the "classic film" of JRPGs.  The music and graphics [were] ahead of its time, and it was probably the first game to include a pop opening ...on the SNES (check it out, it's darling).  Problem is, the US releases have been poorly handled.  There IS a free download available for the iOS, but it's a bit of a mixed bag with reported crashes, a leader board for some reason, and an always-online requirement (you get what you pay for?).  I'd recommend either find "other means" of playing it on computer (and with a 'speed up' button that takes away how boring the combat kind of is).  Alternatively there is an OVA if you just want to watch that (it's ok), or the PSX version (translated) which is pretty decent.  I recommend it in that you know what you're expecting.  It was made for the SNES and it's probably the vibe you'll get.  It's good, but I honestly think if time is of the essence there are better options worth your while.  

Destiny I can't really vouch for because I actually haven't beaten it (*GASP* -- I know, right?).  It was my first Tales title anyways (I rented and rented, but couldn't beat it on time).  It's pretty good and has everything you'd have loved in PSX-era JRPGs that weren't part of that high-caliber that SquareSoft was pumping out.  ToD and ToP(PSX) are very similar to each other.  The characters and dialogue are wonderful (Stahn is one of my favorite Tales heroes for being amusing as hell), but the battles are really sluggish and the random encounter rate is stupidly high (worst of all the game has you do puzzles while fighting battles; it's like punishing you for screwing up a puzzle because you gotta back track).  I kinda recommend it, problem is that the vaaaastly superior Tales of Destiny R exists with a battle system that introduced the famous "CC" counter that Graces used (and some actually prefer ToD's version to ToG).  A group is translating the PS2 Destiny, but they also work at a snails pace and of course it's not easy setting up translated PS2 games.

Eternia is a personal favourite of the "older games" and probably my favorite of the early lot.  It's on the PSP too, so that makes things a lot easier and limits all disc-swapping from the PSX version.  The voice acting and characters are faaaar from ideal; however I find the plot interesting and the battle system is a lot of fun.  The game sports really lovely hand drawn backgrounds to make every place you visit unique and full of life and colour.  Furthermore, the spell casting system is probably the most unique in the series asking that you to either combine or divide up summon spirits to create (or limit) certain spell sets.  Finally, the overworld is amazing and did the "two worlds" concept better than Xillia (which isn't hard to do) but maybe even more effectively than Symphonia does to some extent.  Both worlds have a ton worth exploring and the before end-game sidequests give you a lot more mileage out of the game.  I fully recommend Eternia, especially if you're a sucker for PSX-era RPGs.  If you go the PSP route, just be warned of the "Volt Glitch".  But if it happens, I can help you out.
Plus, you get to play Uno.

Symphonia is the first of the more "modern" styled Tales.  Yeah, primarily because it's 3D, but also they sort of just....feel similar with how they handle the plot and characters.  This also introduces where Tales started to really milk its characters and do a fucking great job at it.  It's hard to hate *any* cast member and all of them are interesting.  I also found, personally speaking, the game had the best skits (which isn't hard when you hero is an idiot, the main girl is a sweet ditz, your best buddy is a sarcastic brat, and your professor hates water and literally goes crazy over antiques).  The plot gets a bit muddy by the end, but the battle system is a lot of fun and surprisingly deep.  On a more somber note, this is probably the last Tales title that really showed its dungeons some love.  Each dungeon is brilliant and carefully thought out practically creating a "Zelda RPG" in that most places you visit (though not all) usually requires more than a little brain power to get through (the antithesis of what Xillia offered).  Also it has "nostalgia" in the best ways.  Whereas Final Fantasy 13 starts you off on a crazy runaway train in some city in the hole of the moon, Symphonia starts you in that small village, then your next stop is the mandatory "desert town".  It's a classic for good reason, I think.  And it (on its own) is only $20 off the PSN network.
If you loved Vesperia, you will mostly likely love Symphonia.

My thoughts:
Go with Symphonia (for console) or Eternia (for handheld).  
Or lemme know if you have maybe more specific questions

Bah.  I really don't have the heart to switch to the Japanese voices, but they liven skits up nicely.

Nope, JP only.

Womp$$$$womp$$$

I'm guessing it would have been waay too much effort and money to get the original cast back together.  But many if they did I probably would have shelled out the full $60 tag for it (the Dawn of the New World "replacement cast" was like a bad joke).
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 06:48:08 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 106 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: