Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2014, 01:54:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332739 Posts in 13633 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Tales of PlayStation(s) revealed
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 105 Print
Author Topic: Tales of PlayStation(s) revealed  (Read 100045 times)
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1350 on: August 02, 2014, 12:21:43 AM »

Isn't it one of those shiny collector's edition guides, too?  The soft hardcover ones like they made for FFXIII-2 (and whatnot)?  I love those.

Amazon only says "Hardcover."
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1351 on: August 02, 2014, 01:59:28 AM »

I think the last printed strategy guide I used was for Final Fantasy VII...

Do people really still buy those things?

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1352 on: August 02, 2014, 10:55:18 PM »

I think the last printed strategy guide I used was for Final Fantasy VII...

Do people really still buy those things?

I get 'em for the artwork mostly (and the occasional freebie for renewing my subscription to Nintendo Power back in the day). Fortunately for me, Tales of Games have terrible character designs more often than not so its no big loss for me to skip out.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1353 on: August 18, 2014, 10:26:14 AM »

1 Day left until Xillia 2 folks! I got my gamestop pre-order pick up reminder text and am totally freakin' EXCITED!!!

Rarely do I find myself this caught up in anticipation for a new game, but Tales really pulled into the lead as my favorite franchise this past gen. Even the dreaded Xillia 1 was tons of fun for me despite some of its terrible design choices.

Top it off with Collectors Editions that actually seem cool to me (in every sense but the price tag) and it takes me back to a time when physical releases the likes of Working Designs were a thing. The Symphonia and Xillia CE's were both beautiful and I doubt this one will disappoint.

But without a doubt, the best part of all is I can now frequent this thread and talk Tales without fear!!! I'm weird and don't even like knowing about playable characters prior to a games release. The more surprises the better!

So uh, anybody else here into this one or did Xillia 1 leave a rotten taste in your mouth?

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1354 on: August 18, 2014, 10:59:28 AM »

Yeah, this is one of the few games I pre-ordered that I'm not ripping my hair out in excited anticipation for. This is more a case of "Okay, Namco, I'm giving you one more chance so don't let me down." It's bad enough that the costumes I enjoyed collecting so much in Abyss and Vesperia are held back for extra cash, but the lazy design of Xillia 1 just left a bad taste in my mouth that will take a lot to get rid of.

On the other hand, Xillia 2's release means only 4 more weeks to Theatrhythm.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1355 on: August 18, 2014, 12:49:33 PM »

1 Day left until Xillia 2 folks! I got my gamestop pre-order pick up reminder text and am totally freakin' EXCITED!!!

Wait wha??? How-come nobody is speaking about it?
Thanks for reminding me.

Holy shit! 70$
The fuck? I ain't paying 70$ for a game with DLC.
Hell, with taxes that's 80.48$ in QC.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 02:42:16 PM by Annubis » Logged
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1356 on: August 18, 2014, 06:41:37 PM »

I am not looking forward to doing that whole debt thing again.

Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1357 on: August 18, 2014, 07:36:27 PM »

Yeah, this is one of the few games I pre-ordered that I'm not ripping my hair out in excited anticipation for. This is more a case of "Okay, Namco, I'm giving you one more chance so don't let me down." It's bad enough that the costumes I enjoyed collecting so much in Abyss and Vesperia are held back for extra cash, but the lazy design of Xillia 1 just left a bad taste in my mouth that will take a lot to get rid of.

On the other hand, Xillia 2's release means only 4 more weeks to Theatrhythm.

It is funny for me. Looking back on the last gen, Tales and Bamco is really the only franchise/company that has pleased and surprised me to be honest.

I came off the days of the PS2 with a strong taste for Persona, Disgaea and the occasional turn based epic. Turn based epics became an endangered species, Disgaea never exactly became anything profound beyond what it offered in its first entry and Persona is still stuck in the P4-era. NIS niche' J-Game releases kept getting my hopes up over the last few years but totally let me down time and again.

If you told me back in 2008 when I bought my PS3 the best time I'd have with it would be with Tales and I'd go so far as to buy an Xbox360 strictly for Vesperia I would have laughed in disbelief. Abyss, Legendia and Symphonia all left me wanting in a big way, and my only REALLY fond memory of the franchise dated all the way back to the PS1 with Destiny.

As for Xillia 1, I too found it to be weak in many respects. The saving grace for me was the cast. Alvin and Milla in particular became all-time Tales favorites for me.

Wait wha??? How-come nobody is speaking about it?
Thanks for reminding me.

Holy shit! 70$
The fuck? I ain't paying 70$ for a game with DLC.
Hell, with taxes that's 80.48$ in QC.

Yea, as I mentioned the price point was easily the most disturbing part of this buy for me too. 129.99 for the CE was downright painful to pay for a PS3 game at present. It is the only CE I bought this year actually.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Nel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1358 on: August 18, 2014, 10:30:36 PM »

Yeaaaaah... I forgot I preordered the Collector's Edition of this one. The store called yesterday with the reminder. My wallet is swearing at me profusely, I like to imagine.

Though I think I've got about $40 down on it so far, so that should ease the pain a tad.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1359 on: August 18, 2014, 10:39:31 PM »

I had to skip the CE this time around.  I could afford it, but the game's release date and my school's payment were due.... on the same day.
(on that note, if anyone wants to sell the watch/mirror, shoot a PM :D)

Started it up (again); first hour in.  It's weird, but I already like it more than Xillia 1.
And if games EVER do a silent protagonist, I think Ludger is the perfect reinvention of it (an idea I hate otherwise works much better with him).

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1360 on: August 18, 2014, 10:52:49 PM »

Yeaaaaah... I forgot I preordered the Collector's Edition of this one. The store called yesterday with the reminder. My wallet is swearing at me profusely, I like to imagine.

Though I think I've got about $40 down on it so far, so that should ease the pain a tad.
Yeah Nel, Ashton's comment is in regards to a gameplay element, not actual monetary situations...sorry.

TASTY!
Nel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1361 on: August 18, 2014, 11:34:38 PM »

Oh.

My comment still stands though. XD
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1362 on: August 19, 2014, 01:22:19 AM »

And if games EVER do a silent protagonist, I think Ludger is the perfect reinvention of it (an idea I hate otherwise works much better with him).
Actually, I HATE the silent protagonist thing. It's meant to make the player character an extension of the player himself, but Ludger actually has his own personality, which is the worst of both worlds. He has no voice so there is a disconnect between him and the player, but he has too much personality for the player to adequately relate to him on a one-to-one level.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1363 on: August 19, 2014, 02:59:16 AM »

Actually, I HATE the silent protagonist thing. It's meant to make the player character an extension of the player himself, but Ludger actually has his own personality, which is the worst of both worlds. He has no voice so there is a disconnect between him and the player, but he has too much personality for the player to adequately relate to him on a one-to-one level.

I can't change the fact they had a silent protag, I just run with it.  I hate them otherwise in almost every instance because I've never felt a connection with the character I'm playing as.

• I am not blond male in a green tunic saving a Princess.
  • I am not red-headed highschooler socializing after school and taking on a giant tower at midnight.
  • I am not red-headed male saving time and space from the year 1999.
  • Etc.

I don't really get why they went the route they did this time; but I kinda dig on him saying "yeah", or "wow" or whatever because it isn't COMPLETE silence.  I agree there seems to be more to Ludger, a general personality of some sort (good guy, can cook alright, loves his cat, has family issues); but I think that's why I find "safety" in the fact they throw you an optional dialogue choice at almost every cutscene or like half of all skitsTHAT makes me feel like I have a connection, or option, or stake in my role as the player. 
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 03:01:29 AM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1364 on: August 19, 2014, 03:15:33 AM »

I think it was supposed to be a Mass Effect-esque addition to the game, but Ludger is not voiced, so when he interacts with characters in skits, you have other characters discussing things and then receiving nothing but silence in return, then going on as if they heard something in that silence. It's honestly kind of jarring.

Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 105 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: