Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 28, 2014, 11:20:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329845 Posts in 13521 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Tales of PlayStation(s) revealed
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 97 Print
Author Topic: Tales of PlayStation(s) revealed  (Read 90342 times)
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #330 on: December 01, 2011, 07:32:29 PM »

Probably dlc and eventually a "complete" edition.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: December 01, 2011, 07:35:00 PM »

As an aside, I hate how Vesperia 360 is referred to as a "beta version". From my understanding it's really not that different from, say, Resident Evil 4 getting more stuff for the PS2 port or Symphony of the Night to the Saturn, and in both cases the graphics are inferior (though I believe RE4 on PS2 did the best it could while SotN on the Saturn didn't) and the new content is frivolous crap you're not really missing out on; SotN didn't even KEEP that content for future ports, and if it did it was seriously reworked. Even if the extra content was planned in the first place, well, usually there's a reason that stuff gets cut. It either wasn't up to snuff, or when the release date pressure was on it was deemed not really worth keeping over other stuff, and thus cut/abandoned.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #332 on: December 01, 2011, 07:42:27 PM »

The problem here being that Xillia was obviously rushed out. The story felt incomplete; hell, the GAME felt incomplete.

I didn't feel this way for Graces (the future arc was superfluous, really) or Vesperia (the new stuff was boring, despite what PS3 fanboys insist) - both had fully fleshed out storylines that took care of most, if not all, their loose ends. The rest was just icing. With Xillia, I was really surprised when it ended because a lot of important plot points ended up being dropped or resolved in the fucking SKITS of all places.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #333 on: December 01, 2011, 07:45:50 PM »

As an aside, I hate how Vesperia 360 is referred to as a "beta version". From my understanding it's really not that different from, say, Resident Evil 4 getting more stuff for the PS2 port or Symphony of the Night to the Saturn, and in both cases the graphics are inferior (though I believe RE4 on PS2 did the best it could while SotN on the Saturn didn't) and the new content is frivolous crap you're not really missing out on; SotN didn't even KEEP that content for future ports, and if it did it was seriously reworked. Even if the extra content was planned in the first place, well, usually there's a reason that stuff gets cut. It either wasn't up to snuff, or when the release date pressure was on it was deemed not really worth keeping over other stuff, and thus cut/abandoned.

I always liked it as a phrase used by people who are pissed off for spending money for a game that'd have more content in the future.

I'm *kinda* feeling this with Xillia because all of the "signs" were there, to a point it almost feels purposeful. And THAT is what's annoying by this point.  Hence the term "beta".  So when you buy "the beta", sure it's complete... but some of the stuff missing is Tales staples:
No hot spring scene (A staple in the series)
No cameo battle (again)
No extra hi-ougis (again, again)
No bonus dungeon (again 3x)
No bonus costumes (what's worst than this is that, besides 2 post-game ones, ALL costumes are DLC ONLY D: )

I'm guessing Graces felt more complete because, well (at the time), Wii was the only console NB had in mind (a PS3 ver came at a petition/poll of some sort, IIRC). 
Vesperia PS3, as Leyv said, had pretty weak bonuses.  But given the extremely positive response and sales to it, this may have just etched into the grander scheme of how NB can make easy money.  Either way, what a lot of fans *hated* was how Patty was actually in the 360's coding, and how some scenes left a ambiguous spot for the extra characters.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 07:55:42 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: December 01, 2011, 07:59:26 PM »

Ahhh, yeah, it makes sense then for Xillia to come off more as a beta. Geez, that sounds pretty lame. :/
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #335 on: December 02, 2011, 12:33:11 AM »

Namco Bandai is pretty much following the Capcom Sequel Stagnation principle. There's a SUPER ALPHA version for the first game.

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #336 on: December 02, 2011, 12:42:34 AM »

Namco Bandai is pretty much following the Capcom Sequel Stagnation principle. There's a SUPER ALPHA version for the first game.

Yeaaah... note to self about CAPCOM: Don't buy their stuff Day 1 Year 1. :S

Mym

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #337 on: December 02, 2011, 06:03:54 PM »

I'm quite surprised to see people being so dismissive of Vesperia PS3. I actually thought it was a pretty big enhancement, myself. Two extra fully playable characters, full voices for the entire script, extra costumes, extra skills, extra scenes, extra skits, extra music, extra bosses, extra areas... Short of actually revamping significant chunks of the game, I don't really see what other bonuses they could have added.

Of course it's kind of overdramatic to suggest that the 360 version is crippled and worthless thanks to the additions that the PS3 has, but they're not exactly insignificant either, and I think it's a real stretch to compare Vesperia PS3 to SotN Saturn or ToS PS2. SotN's extra areas were practically unfinished, and ToS was such a technical mess compared to its Gamecube counterpart that whatever small additions it brought to the table did little to change the fact that it was pretty objectively the inferior version of the game. Vesperia, on the other hand, adds some fairly substantial extra content at the cost of very little noticeable technical performance. Enough to justify calling the 360 version a beta? Not really. But certainly enough that, were both games available and comprehensible to someone who owned both consoles, I'd see little reason to recommend the 360 one.

Anyway, I'm kind of relieved now that I didn't buy Xillia last month after all. Though it's sort of sad that it's getting to the point with some companies where you stand to lose rather than gain by being an early adopter of a game. Especially in the age of DLC and patches, when there's rarely a need to do a full re-release. Fingers crossed that they opt for DLC for the sake of those who bought it on release.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #338 on: December 02, 2011, 06:19:34 PM »

I think the ToV PS3 version, at the very least, was over-hyped then.  For the amount of whining and Namco-hate spread by US audiences, the additions weren't ground-breaking.  One of the extra dungeons was flat out stupid and inserted at a point of the game where all you had to do before was walk to the end of town (the new PS3 dungeon made you walk through an almost lightless sewer).  Patty was "ok"; a lot of the dialogue changes were simply her dialogue fixed into the already normal-360 string of dialogue.  Her character was not very impressive, if somewhat irritating as well.  Flynn played like an old-school Tales character, but was certainly a more welcome and more plausible than Patty.

The musical additions... well most sucked ass and weren't very interesting nor pleasantly melodic.

More skits?  Maybe it's a Japanese thing, but after one run through a Tales game, that's all I needed of 'em.  Some moved too slowly, and I skipped a bunch too.

The new costumes were kinda cool... except most of Yuri's sucked (having me stick with his normal one) and they couldn't have tried LESS for Repede's. 

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: December 02, 2011, 06:28:06 PM »

But certainly enough that, were both games available and comprehensible to someone who owned both consoles, I'd see little reason to recommend the 360 one.

IF you know Japanese. That's the thing really, because Vesperia PS3 was Japan-exclusive it had this elusiveness that had people build it up, especially among those who only had a PS3. As a result you have some people calling Vesperia 360 "a beta" and completely dismissing it, when at best it's probably more like Resident Evil 4 there where you had a surprisingly small performance hit and extra content worth playing through if it's there, but not to the point where the GC version could be dismissed (though with the Wii version you basically get everything but HD graphics anyway.)
Mym

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #340 on: December 02, 2011, 06:54:18 PM »

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not arguing that it's over-hyped. I roll my eyes every time I see somebody throwing the "beta" argument around, being that the 360 version is still a complete, polished, wholly enjoyable game. Still, I do think it's more than a little unreasonable to compare it to really bad examples like SotN and ToS, where some half-assed extra content was hastily pasted in to cover up a sloppy port job. Vesperia is very competently ported, and if I didn't know better I would have thought it was developed for the PS3. And the extras... Well, maybe not all of them are essential. But there are lots of them, all are welcome, and a number of them (full voices, fully playable Flynn complete with new skits and story material, a number of the battle tweaks) are fairly substantial additions that do enhance the game a fair bit. Resident Evil 4 is perhaps a better example, though even then I'd argue that the technical differences between the two Vesperias are far less significant than between the two Resis.

Also, I wasn't a fan of Patty either. :'D But characters like that rarely appeal to me anyway. Besides, a big draw of the series is its battle system, and I don't think an extra playable character with a complete and unique skill set is anything to sneer at, irrespective of whether or not she's the most likeable member of the cast.
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #341 on: February 06, 2012, 01:25:14 PM »

Sorry to revive the Tales topic but I need some advice....

I'm in a Tales sort of mood, with Graces on the horrizon and want to pick up Eternia/ Tales 2....... My question is should I go for the PSP Euro import of Eternia or the original Tales 2 for the ps1.... Is there any difference? Should I simply opt for whichever I can procure for a better price? I couldn't find any info online really about comparisons between the two.... only that the PSP version had some bugs fixed and whatnot....

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #342 on: February 06, 2012, 01:30:00 PM »

Not a single difference.  I have both, if anything, it's nice to have it all on one UMD.

This Tales game has to be one of my favorites for leaving that warm and cozy feeling that PSX rpgs leave.

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #343 on: February 06, 2012, 05:29:34 PM »

I couldn't find any info online really about comparisons between the two.... only that the PSP version had some bugs fixed and whatnot....

Didn't it introduce new bugs of its own (aka the Volt bug)?

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #344 on: February 06, 2012, 05:33:33 PM »

I couldn't find any info online really about comparisons between the two.... only that the PSP version had some bugs fixed and whatnot....

Didn't it introduce new bugs of its own (aka the Volt bug)?

Aaah yes.  True.  The game does get occasionally glitchy, but I'd say the Volt Bug is certainly the biggest and only big need for worry.  If you do opt for PSP, I have a glitch-free version to get you passed that part (we'd swap around save files).

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 97 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: