Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2014, 09:40:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327879 Posts in 13423 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Tales of PlayStation(s) revealed
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 90 Print
Author Topic: Tales of PlayStation(s) revealed  (Read 84318 times)
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #435 on: July 19, 2012, 04:31:13 PM »

Tales of Legendia is the one that looks like a PS1 game, and even it doesn't look that bad. It just looks really budget. The only real way in which Abyss is a step back is that it doesn't have cel shading. That's it. Graces looks kind of blah for a PS3 game, especially considering Eternal Sonata, but it's a remake of a Wii game, so I'll give it some slack.

Say what?!  Did you see the scenery in that game?  I thought it looked better than 90% of games

Oh, I meant the character models. I will agree that the backgrounds are amazing. Tales of Legendia is kind of the weird one out though. You can tell that was mostly made by a different team than most of the others. I liked it, but it had a really different feel from the rest of the series.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #436 on: July 20, 2012, 12:06:03 AM »

yuri is not awesome. i mean seriously before i quit out of boredom he annointed carol leader of the team...

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #437 on: July 20, 2012, 01:47:03 AM »

yuri is not awesome. i mean seriously before i quit out of boredom he annointed carol leader of the team...
I've been wondering this for a while, but that cemented it. I'm pretty sure you just hate everything.

TASTY!
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #438 on: July 20, 2012, 02:16:44 AM »

I always found Tales series did backgrounds to a stellar degree though, that's why I've always loved their graphics anyways.

I agree. I mean, the cities and most dungeons are usually very pretty. I'm currently playing Vesperia, and I'm especially fond of Halure, and the snow towns in Symphonia and Abyss are places I would probably actually like to live in if I could.

EDIT: I take that back. I would so live in the part of Aspio where you rest, the area with all the books. I would sleep in the alcoves and read books all kinds of books about nonsense science.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 10:14:43 PM by (Tunnels) » Logged
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #439 on: July 24, 2012, 01:50:36 PM »

Love the story too. Wish I could play Vesperia, because Yuri sounds awesome.

Yuri is awesome, so is Judith, and Yuri's friend/rival (forgot-his-name). Unfortunately, the rest of the team is a wash of obnoxious tweens who seem to have to prove their tweeniehood every 30 seconds by saying something really immature. The female "lead" is a complete waste of a human being, and even as cool as Yuri is, as someone pointed out, his appeal is cut short by the fact that he is not only willing to hang with all of these idiots, but let them actually make important decisions! Add to that Vesparia's bizarrely random battle system, and you have a pretty flawed game.

Abyss is ugly as sin, but a wonderful experience that no one here will regret.

Currently playing Graces (on me new PS3). It's kiddy, but at least it aims to be kiddy, unlike Vesparia that acts like it's going to be mature, only to become "Tales of Babysitting"

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #440 on: July 24, 2012, 02:21:22 PM »

I've been wondering this for a while, but that cemented it. I'm pretty sure you just hate everything.

It's a man teaching a boy how to become a man... clearly what Alisha likes.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #441 on: July 24, 2012, 02:52:10 PM »

Yuri is awesome, so is Judith, and Yuri's friend/rival (forgot-his-name). Unfortunately, the rest of the team is a wash of obnoxious tweens who seem to have to prove their tweeniehood every 30 seconds by saying something really immature. The female "lead" is a complete waste of a human being

Disclaimer:  I only played Vesperia in Japanese so there might be some differences in the writing and there are certainly differences in the voice acting, but seriously, what is with all the Estelle hate?  I actually rather liked her characters.  She's a honest, compassionate, selfless, strong-willed person who's perhaps a little naive but not the extent where she seems dumb or anything (and it's completely understandable considering her upbringing).  I can't think of anything about her character that would justify such vitriolic hatred and yet I see comments like this on the internet all the time.

Really, the only people in Vesperia's cast I truly disliked were Karol and Patty.

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #442 on: July 24, 2012, 06:45:56 PM »

Add to that Vesparia's bizarrely random battle system

"random"?  How so?

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #443 on: July 24, 2012, 06:57:32 PM »

Yuri is awesome, so is Judith, and Yuri's friend/rival (forgot-his-name). Unfortunately, the rest of the team is a wash of obnoxious tweens who seem to have to prove their tweeniehood every 30 seconds by saying something really immature. The female "lead" is a complete waste of a human being, and even as cool as Yuri is, as someone pointed out, his appeal is cut short by the fact that he is not only willing to hang with all of these idiots, but let them actually make important decisions! Add to that Vesparia's bizarrely random battle system, and you have a pretty flawed game.

Currently playing Graces (on me new PS3). It's kiddy, but at least it aims to be kiddy, unlike Vesparia that acts like it's going to be mature, only to become "Tales of Babysitting"
Are you saying Raven is a tween? He's one of my favorite Tales characters. SEXUALITYYYY...

My girlfriend at the time watched me play Vesperia and consistently told me that Raven reminded her of me.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #444 on: July 24, 2012, 07:59:54 PM »

Add to that Vesparia's bizarrely random battle system

"random"?  How so?

I gotta echo that.  It's strange and sort of stiff to start, but I thought the flow was good and again used a range of characters each with strengths and weaknesses.

I'm a big Estelle fan myself, so I gotta question the hate on that.  I thought she was sweet, but not cavity-causing-anime-sweet. I liked how she was book smart, a kind of cute take on the tomboy princess trope.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #445 on: July 24, 2012, 08:10:50 PM »

Are you saying Raven is a tween? He's one of my favorite Tales characters. SEXUALITYYYY...

My girlfriend at the time watched me play Vesperia and consistently told me that Raven reminded her of me.

I don't remember that Victory quote, but chances are I got it once or twice and just forgot about it.

As for Estelle, I actually really liked her as a character. It's just her AI that sucked. In fact...I can't think of any character in ToV I really disliked. Maybe Karol, but he reminds me a bit of my little brother, so I find it hard to dislike him, even when he's being a pain. Other than that, they were all great. Yuri's one of my favorite characters of all time, in fact.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #446 on: July 24, 2012, 10:15:26 PM »

I didn't like Karol's outfit... but by god I thought he was so cute.  He was a tank in battle, but I liked that scared-y-cat side of him, and his out-burst love confession to Nan later on.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #447 on: July 24, 2012, 10:32:14 PM »

I'm actually about to beat Vesperia (can go to final dungeon anytime now) and I have to say, I love this cast. There's just something about this disparate group of personalities that gels well for me. Really, I like every single one of them, but this is not strange, since I haven't met a Tales party character I haven't liked. There are some I'm neutral about (Colette) but none that I didn't like. Raven is totes my fav character, though I do not like playing as him.

Abyss is still going to be the best Tales game for me (of the 3 I played), but this one is very close in quality. That being said:

Abyss's magic > Vesperia's magic. I just loved that magic in Abyss came essentially from music, while Vesperia's feels like it's being made up as it goes along.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 10:48:27 PM by (Tunnels) » Logged
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #448 on: July 24, 2012, 10:50:00 PM »

Nobody's mentioned the dog.  The dog rocked.

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #449 on: July 24, 2012, 10:56:10 PM »

The only Vesperia character I hate is Rita. She's that stupid ass violent girl archetype that Japanophile nerds always get off on, for some reason. She is needlessly violent for no readily apparent reason and makes googly faces at inanimate objects. Creepy.

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 90 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: