Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 04:38:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334772 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Tales of PlayStation(s) revealed
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 106 Print
Author Topic: Tales of PlayStation(s) revealed  (Read 106029 times)
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #555 on: April 18, 2013, 11:35:19 AM »

I still prefer vesperia's battle system as it's more reminiscent of a fighting thanks to the 2D plane for fighting. The overhead 3D in Graces F made it feel less like a fighting game and more like a basic action game with combos. It's not to say it's bad, but I enjoy the fighting game style over the action game style, especially being a fan of games like Marvel vs Capcom, Tekken, and soul caliber. My fighting game appreciation hasn't died over the years, I just don't play them nearly as much as rpgs.

Oh yeah, I hated graces F's CC shit for limiting attacks, and the constant upgrading weapons to give you CC to get around that limitation. Even after getting around it, it was always at the back of my head to conserve CC for big attacks, which resulted in either me comboing for a straight 45 seconds or running around for 2 minutes waiting for an opening. It's a pet peeve at best, but it had to be said.

TASTY!
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #556 on: April 18, 2013, 11:37:25 AM »

Graces was the only game aside from the original Destiny that we got from Team Destiny. They made a lot less games than Team Symphonia IIRC.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #557 on: April 18, 2013, 11:47:45 AM »

Oh yeah, I hated graces F's CC shit for limiting attacks, and the constant upgrading weapons to give you CC to get around that limitation. Even after getting around it, it was always at the back of my head to conserve CC for big attacks, which resulted in either me comboing for a straight 45 seconds or running around for 2 minutes waiting for an opening. It's a pet peeve at best, but it had to be said.

Sounds like you were playing it wrong.  Running around for 2 minutes?  CC recovers incredibly fast if you just sit still for a second...

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #558 on: April 18, 2013, 11:54:01 AM »

Sounds like you were playing it wrong.  Running around for 2 minutes?  CC recovers incredibly fast if you just sit still for a second...
I know, it was in regards to the fact that my assault opening had ended and I would work around for a new opening, like when an enemy whiffed a huve attack or started casting a spell. CC recharged rapidly while standing still, just couldn't stand still very often on higher difficulties, and trying to keep that no damage bonus on meant being careful.

TASTY!
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #559 on: April 18, 2013, 12:03:03 PM »

I know, it was in regards to the fact that my assault opening had ended and I would work around for a new opening, like when an enemy whiffed a huve attack or started casting a spell. CC recharged rapidly while standing still, just couldn't stand still very often on higher difficulties, and trying to keep that no damage bonus on meant being careful.

Strafing takes 1CC (I *never* used Free Run in this), and if you evaded it restored cc so you could counter.  Successful hits to enemy weak spots could recharge CC as much as the whole thing (within your min-max of course).

I thought it was refreshing to get a battle system not based on MP for fucking once.  Previous Tales games are hardly so lenient in their skill usage and linking them isn't as much fun.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #560 on: April 18, 2013, 12:10:19 PM »

I could argue further, but simply put I don't like getting hit, so being a weenie and running away while.CC recharged and enemies got distracted by Sophie was easier.

My big thing about Vesperia's battle system was Judith. Air combos are fun.

TASTY!
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #561 on: April 18, 2013, 12:29:10 PM »

Successful hits to enemy weak spots could recharge CC as much as the whole thing (within your min-max of course).

When I played last weekend, I realized how crazy this is. Late game, when you have a lot of CC, a FULL recovery is CRAZY. I was fighting an enemy at one point controlling Asbel and I went from 19 CC to 1 CC but my last hit gave me back a full 19 CC... crazy ass combo (then link that thing with a 75 hit free Mystic Art *drool*).

I actually played Vesperia with a friend. I was playing Yuri and my friend was Judith. He swears that it was awesome (I never really tried myself, it was his character).
One major thing Graces F did though is that playing a caster is fun. I played a bit of Rita and Estelle in Vesperia and it's just mind numbingly boring... and that's coming from the guy who prefers to play Rena over Claude in SO2.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #562 on: April 18, 2013, 01:17:02 PM »

Successful hits to enemy weak spots could recharge CC as much as the whole thing (within your min-max of course).

When I played last weekend, I realized how crazy this is. Late game, when you have a lot of CC, a FULL recovery is CRAZY. I was fighting an enemy at one point controlling Asbel and I went from 19 CC to 1 CC but my last hit gave me back a full 19 CC... crazy ass combo (then link that thing with a 75 hit free Mystic Art *drool*).

Yeah, the game really makes it easier for you to combo later.  It's also refreshing to play a game where ATK and DEF aren't necessarily the bigger priorities over Accuracy and Evasion.  ....the criticals are brutal against enemies...and the party. ;(  (hard modes become really brutal for 1HKOs).

I actually played Vesperia with a friend. I was playing Yuri and my friend was Judith. He swears that it was awesome (I never really tried myself, it was his character).
One major thing Graces F did though is that playing a caster is fun. I played a bit of Rita and Estelle in Vesperia and it's just mind numbingly boring... and that's coming from the guy who prefers to play Rena over Claude in SO2.
[/quote][/quote]

Yeah, I couldn't handle Judith either, then again, I usually have a tough go of someone *not* the main character (major exceptions being Guy from TotA and Chloe from Legendia for obvious reasons).  I do feel pretty comfy with a bunch of characters in Graces -- Hubert is a fucking king on the battle field, especially when linking A-to-B artes since he can pull off a spell with next to no wait time.  Rita was boring, I hated the fucking GRADE trick and I hate that she's the strongest mage due to some convenient loophole.

Speaking of TotA and good combat mechs... I wish FoF's would come back or some form of it.

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #563 on: April 18, 2013, 02:06:44 PM »

I liked Judith quite a bit.  Once I got her in my party, I rarely used Yuri after that.  She was really fun to use and had an interesting moveset.  Also, I'll agree that using a variety of the cast for Graces F was fun.  Controlling different party members was fun because they were all fairly good in their own way.

I still prefer vesperia's battle system as it's more reminiscent of a fighting thanks to the 2D plane for fighting. The overhead 3D in Graces F made it feel less like a fighting game and more like a basic action game with combos.

I don't really get this point since the options let you toggle the camera between different types of field of vision quite a bit.  Between that and the zoom function, you could make the camera similar to games like Verspeia and Abyss.  Did you try playing around with the options?

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #564 on: April 18, 2013, 03:32:53 PM »

The camera options didn't change the control options though.

TASTY!
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #565 on: April 18, 2013, 03:45:23 PM »

Hubert is a fucking king on the battle field

Hubert burns through CC so quickly but he's incredibly strong. I need at one point to craft CC increasing gear for him and see how that goes.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #566 on: April 18, 2013, 03:51:59 PM »

Hubert is a fucking king on the battle field

Hubert burns through CC so quickly but he's incredibly strong. I need at one point to craft CC increasing gear for him and see how that goes.

I find Hubert all about his B-artes.  His A's are....pretty much the same.  But Absolute Zero, Radial Arc, his Fire Bullet and Rolling Thunderbolt are absolutely badass. 

Malik is interesting as well.  For what looks like a heavy hitter we get an awesome mage with decent AI.

I think of all the cast, Pascal is unfortunately the odd woman out (or at least, high risk but with high reward...*shrug*). 

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #567 on: April 18, 2013, 05:02:20 PM »

The problem.with Graces is the entire team is astounding in player hands, but Asbel is probably the weakest out of player hands. From what I remember, Pascal was a powerhouse when player controlled, as was Malik, but Hubert and Cheria were top tier when used by players...odd considering Cheria is a healer.

TASTY!
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #568 on: April 18, 2013, 05:04:09 PM »

Team of Cheria's (4x) is the tits.

Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #569 on: April 18, 2013, 05:19:32 PM »

I've been playing Vesperia for the first time the past few weeks.  I was originally planning on playing it with a group, but we could never get the group together so I decided **** it.  I'll probably do the same for Graces F and Xillia over the next year or two.  Vesperia's fun.  The relationship between Yuri and Flynn *kind of* reminds me of Ramza and Delita, and the basic nuts and bolts of the combat and customization are very nice indeed.  The story hurtles along at a wacky pace, but so far I'm enjoying it.  Was surprised by two of the twists, not surprised by the other twenty-seven. 

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 106 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: