Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 12:06:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334695 Posts in 13707 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Tales of PlayStation(s) revealed
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 106 Print
Author Topic: Tales of PlayStation(s) revealed  (Read 105492 times)
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #570 on: April 18, 2013, 05:26:50 PM »

Team of Cheria's (4x) is the tits.

Quad Malik with his tornado spell pretty much prevents any boss from moving.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #571 on: April 18, 2013, 05:33:24 PM »

Team of Cheria's (4x) is the tits.

Quad Malik with his tornado spell pretty much prevents any boss from moving.

I'll keep that in mind with trophies.  Which tornado spell?  It took me forever to realize his arrows were his Accel till I used him (and man they're juicy for combos).

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #572 on: April 18, 2013, 05:38:37 PM »

I feel stupid now.  I didn't even know you could double up (let alone quadruple up...) characters...

lavarock

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #573 on: April 18, 2013, 08:30:26 PM »

thats like saying p4a is the pinnacle of fighting games because it has auto combos. cause what it actually is.

Not sure I get what you're saying, I wouldn't say that togf's system boils down to AAAA auto-combos.... It doesn't have the depth and difficulties of a fighting game like p4A, but you can easily spend hundres of hours to master the system.  l would rank the battle system as one of the deepest out there in jrpg in the current gen.

I thought it was refreshing to get a battle system not based on MP for fucking once.  Previous Tales games are hardly so lenient in their skill usage and linking them isn't as much fun.

Yeah, very much agreed.  It's nice to see the CC system making a come back since ToD.  It's not really restricting once you get used the upgrade system and starting having insane number of CCs... In the end game I never really run out it

Now thinking about it, Tales of Destiny on the PS2 is one of the best tales game I played and really digged the battle system.  Since togf is made by some of the same people... that's maybe why I liked the system so much xD

The problem.with Graces is the entire team is astounding in player hands, but Asbel is probably the weakest out of player hands. From what I remember, Pascal was a powerhouse when player controlled, as was Malik, but Hubert and Cheria were top tier when used by players...odd considering Cheria is a healer.

I don't' see this as a downside...  The system really encourage you to try all the chars with the fast switch system.  In Vesperia I really played only Yuri, and although I tried to main Judith but I just can't get hang of the air combos.  Rita and Estelle are boring to use...
In graces everyone was fun to play and powerful, and the cast is relatively small so it's easy to know how to play everyone.   This is a plus to me.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #574 on: April 18, 2013, 08:48:03 PM »

thats like saying p4a is the pinnacle of fighting games because it has auto combos. cause what it actually is.

Not sure I get what you're saying, I wouldn't say that togf's system boils down to AAAA auto-combos.... It doesn't have the depth and difficulties of a fighting game like p4A, but you can easily spend hundres of hours to master the system.  l would rank the battle system as one of the deepest out there in jrpg in the current gen.

I thought it was refreshing to get a battle system not based on MP for fucking once.  Previous Tales games are hardly so lenient in their skill usage and linking them isn't as much fun.

Yeah, very much agreed.  It's nice to see the CC system making a come back since ToD.  It's not really restricting once you get used the upgrade system and starting having insane number of CCs... In the end game I never really run out it

Now thinking about it, Tales of Destiny on the PS2 is one of the best tales game I played and really digged the battle system.  Since togf is made by some of the same people... that's maybe why I liked the system so much xD

The problem.with Graces is the entire team is astounding in player hands, but Asbel is probably the weakest out of player hands. From what I remember, Pascal was a powerhouse when player controlled, as was Malik, but Hubert and Cheria were top tier when used by players...odd considering Cheria is a healer.

I don't' see this as a downside...  The system really encourage you to try all the chars with the fast switch system.  In Vesperia I really played only Yuri, and although I tried to main Judith but I just can't get hang of the air combos.  Rita and Estelle are boring to use...
In graces everyone was fun to play and powerful, and the cast is relatively small so it's easy to know how to play everyone.   This is a plus to me.

DEAR RPGFAN.  MAKE A BEST BATTLESYSTEMS FEATURE~!!!! (plz put Graces on that list -- it d'serves it)

And YES!  I think that's what one of the most important parts and and the point was made earlier that in Graces even the Mages are fun and easy to use (and it's titles, not a precious accessory slot, that can give you the "fast cast" ability on the fly).  I'd KILL someone to get ToD PS2 on the Playstation Network -- I've always heard how "amazing" it is, and I get jealous (ToD PSX being my first proper Tales game).

After hearing how killer Judith can be, I do wanna give her a shot.

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #575 on: April 18, 2013, 08:53:18 PM »

I think it's "Culling Flare" (think).
- Enable only that spell on X4 Malik
- Equip a B-Arts +XX% critical chance (super stagger time)

That's how I got the Evil difficulty clear on the last bosses.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #576 on: April 18, 2013, 09:00:04 PM »

I think it's "Culling Flare" (think).
- Enable only that spell on X4 Malik
- Equip a B-Arts +XX% critical chance (super stagger time)

That's how I got the Evil difficulty clear on the last bosses.

Thanks Annubi.  I'll have to give that a shot~! x)
Meanwhile, I shamelessly use the piggyback method to score mad chedda on Rockgagong.

lavarock

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #577 on: April 18, 2013, 10:28:58 PM »

DEAR RPGFAN.  MAKE A BEST BATTLESYSTEMS FEATURE~!!!! (plz put Graces on that list -- it d'serves it)

And YES!  I think that's what one of the most important parts and and the point was made earlier that in Graces even the Mages are fun and easy to use (and it's titles, not a precious accessory slot, that can give you the "fast cast" ability on the fly).  I'd KILL someone to get ToD PS2 on the Playstation Network -- I've always heard how "amazing" it is, and I get jealous (ToD PSX being my first proper Tales game).

After hearing how killer Judith can be, I do wanna give her a shot.

Sounds like a great feature, RPGFAN DO IT!! XD

On this topic, I would nominate for the best battle system mechanics in RPGs
      * Tales of Grace F
      * Resonance of Fate (quirkiness and uniqueness, never played a game quite like that...)
      * Dark souls/Demons souls (if these are considered then these two games should obviously be up there for many reasons)

BTW, ToD remake on the ps2 is a great game.  It's very sad that a English version was never made. So glad that we are all getting localized tales games nowadays but anyways no point beating on this dead horse.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #578 on: April 19, 2013, 01:22:40 AM »

i dont think you get it. the battle system feels dumbed down for kids or something. in abyss you can do a combo of normal hits and change directional inputs at any time during that normal combo then link up to 3 special moves of your choice as longh as they connect of course. in graces many special moves are tied to auto combos. and by the time you get deep enough into that auto combo to do the special move your CC is probally depleted after it so you cant link specials to it. and in the case of a character like sophie many of her standalone specials are healing spells.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #579 on: April 19, 2013, 01:48:39 AM »

^ While I don't argue that everyone has their views on the battle system, some love it, some rather stick with good ol' combo-n'-TP. 

Graces only LOOKS like an "auto-combo" system because the moves are all fancy and flashy and tend to hit quite a few times to build up that combo meter.  But looks are deceiving.

Every single arte (A & B) has 2-3 attributions (Asbel's Plasma Shock has [I think] the vs. Paralysis, vs. Slash, and vs. Beast attributes -- meaning it's good to use against an enemy who is weak to those, and some enemies can be weak against as many as six things).  Enemies attack fast, come if big groups, and tend to hit really hard, so you want to make use of the weaknesses.  Problem is, not many enemies would always "fit" straight chains (previous Tales games have you hold the Left Stick Up to attack aerial enemies or Down to get the crawling enemies).  So you have to link A artes to cater to specific weaknesses (the enemy has a Reptile element it's weak to in one of your A-artes, a Burn elements from another, but sometimes the directions change, so you have to link an "up-arte" with a "left-arte" and finally finish it with another "left-arte").  You can then link the basic attack A-artes with the more "flashy/magical" B-artes (which is ideal for a character like Hubert who, if you don't chain, have to wait to charge his spells, but when they're chained, they happen almost automatically).  It's not an auto-combo, it just looks fancy; YOU have to construct a combo that will deal the most damage.
(READ AGENT'S PARAGRAPH -- IT's BETTER)

Also, the CC meter becomes very, very lenient later on.  Not only when you get titles/weapons that increase your CC, but when you hit criticals (some skills let you recover as much as the whole goddamn bar so you're free to keep on chaining attacks) and get better at evading.  You will still run out, but it becomes easily replenished later to compensate for more chaotic fights and equipment that boosts the CC recovery time.

Also, combos for enemies are easy to break out of unless you've focused on accuracy, and enemies will critical the hell out of you unless you up your evasion (traits often deemed..."less important" previously).  Most Tales games are somewhat easy (as in some tough battles, generally easy main battles, and a few "wtf-hard" bonus battles); but the added kicker for this one was you'd get less SP for titles if you were over-levelled (which becomes especially problematic later on; title mastering is much better than level gaining).

If it is dumbed down, then my ass is getting handed to me quite a lot in the bonus dungeon because I suck ass at dodging, and I'm hardly gaining SP and Experience by this point.  It looks fancy, but I've had way more close calls in this title than any other Tales game.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 02:12:38 AM by Dice » Logged

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #580 on: April 19, 2013, 02:02:03 AM »

Graces F doesn't have a dumbed down battle system, it's far more detailed in regards to specializing attack strategies. They simplified controls, but gave it a more tactical feel, requiring you to check your opponent for weaknesses and capitalizing on them, instead of an overwhelming offensive in most other Tales games. I'm not saying I disliked any of the battle systems, Tales has always delivered fun through combat. I am saying that the 2D plane of combat is my preferred medium, which is what Alisha seems to be saying.

Tales rarely doesn't deliver the best combat system in a JRPG, and even their worst game still trumps most any other JRPG combat system.

TASTY!
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #581 on: April 19, 2013, 02:11:49 AM »

Ignore my first paragraph, Agent summed it better.

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #582 on: April 19, 2013, 04:13:36 PM »

i dont think you get it. the battle system feels dumbed down for kids or something. in abyss you can do a combo of normal hits and change directional inputs at any time during that normal combo then link up to 3 special moves of your choice as longh as they connect of course. in graces many special moves are tied to auto combos. and by the time you get deep enough into that auto combo to do the special move your CC is probally depleted after it so you cant link specials to it. and in the case of a character like sophie many of her standalone specials are healing spells.

LOL.  I don't know how you could call Graces F's system dumbed down when all you're arguing is mindlessly mashing 5B 2B 2B 5A 6A 6A in Abyss somehow takes some kind of skill that Graces F's system lacks.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #583 on: April 19, 2013, 04:35:53 PM »

HEY this isn't fighter's generation, keep your arcade terminology outta here! Nyucknyuck.

But yeah, you've got a good point otherwise Akanbe. That's why I prefer Abyss and Vesperia and even symphonia. Makes it feel more arcade like, where again, graces feels more tactical. In a nutshell, vesperia and its ilk reward abusive combos, whereas graces rewards strategy, blocking, evasive actions, and so on.

Heh, I remember in tales of destiny that one ring that allowed you to use motions for artes instead of just button+direction. Now that was an awesome idea. Wonder if it'll ever happen again?

TASTY!
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #584 on: April 21, 2013, 01:34:30 AM »

https://twitter.com/TalesofU/status/324154629271220226

http://i.imgur.com/mKP5EHu.png

That's....strange. o_<
Someone fucked the pooch?

Baba admitting outright that nothing is happening with Vita's Innocence and Hearts is one thing, but he's been tight-lipped with regards to VesPS3.  Obviously nothing is outright being said here, but I *am* the type to read into a company tweeting "winks".
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 02:14:16 AM by Dice » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 106 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: