Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 09:34:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327769 Posts in 13420 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Tales of PlayStation(s) revealed
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 90 Print
Author Topic: Tales of PlayStation(s) revealed  (Read 84062 times)
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #735 on: June 17, 2013, 01:58:42 PM »

Well, I just managed to get a pre-order for the Xillia Collectors Edition in. Turns out that Futureshop (Canadian equivalent to Best Buy, even though we actually have Best Buy) tends to keep bundles and special editions for longer than anywhere else.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #736 on: June 17, 2013, 04:31:53 PM »

i would wait till tgs before we say it has a lack of rpg's

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Bleaker

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #737 on: June 17, 2013, 05:13:17 PM »

For launch on PS4? Yeah there is a lack. Even when TGS hits and they announce new rpgs, it will still take awhile beyond the launch window for them to be localized.

Laugh and the world laughs with you.
Weep, and you weep alone.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #738 on: June 17, 2013, 05:32:28 PM »

For launch on PS4? Yeah there is a lack. Even when TGS hits and they announce new rpgs, it will still take awhile beyond the launch window for them to be localized.

Are you seriously surprised that there aren't many launch RPGs?  Unless someone is paying them to do it, I couldn't see why a company would deliberately kick itself in the balls by selling to a greatly reduced playerbase.  RPGs aren't exactly system sellers.

Plus look at all the shit that came out when the last gen first came out.  They mostly all sucked.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Bleaker

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #739 on: June 17, 2013, 05:44:40 PM »

Not surprised, just annoyed. I knew there wouldn't be any, I'm just trying to find games to keep me occupied. I'm halfway through Vesperia now, then I need to find another one.

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #740 on: June 18, 2013, 08:39:29 PM »

There are tons you can probably find now on current systems.

Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #741 on: June 18, 2013, 09:27:44 PM »

Just not the Xbox. Okay, the Xbox has like 5, but the Wii has several good ones and the PS3 has a ton.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #742 on: June 19, 2013, 02:23:26 AM »

According to GameFAQs/Gamespot these are the RPGs/SRPGs for the 360 released thus far (not counting XBLIG/XBLA/crap stuck in Japan).

Alpha Protocol
Arcania: Gothic 4
Blue Dragon*
Dark Souls

Divinity 2: Ego Draconis/The Dragon Knight Saga
Dragon Age 2
Dragon Age: Origins/Awakening
Dragon's Dogma/Dark Arisen
Dungeon Siege 3
Elder Scrolls 4*
Elder Scrolls 5
Enchanted Arms*
Eternal Sonata*

Fable 2
Fable 3
Fable Kinect
Fallout 3
Fallout: New Vegas
Final Fantasy 11*
Final Fantasy 13
Final Fantasy 13-2

Game of Thrones
Infinite Undiscovery
Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
The Last Remnant
The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle-earth 2
The Lord of the Rings: War in the North
Lost Odyssey
Magna Carta 2

Marvel: Ultimate Alliance*
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2
Mass Effect*
Mass Effect 2
Mass Effect 3
Nier
Operation Darkness
Phantasy Star Universe*
Record of Agarest War
Record of Agarest War Zero
Resonance of Fate

Rise of the Argonauts
Risen
Risen 2: Dark Waters
Sacred 2: Fallen Angel
Sid Meier's: Civilization Revolution
Spectral Force 3
Star Ocean 4
Tales of Vesperia

Two Worlds*
Two Worlds 2
Venetica
The Witcher 2
XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Zoids: Assault

For comparison sake here's the Wii's RPG/SRPG list (not counting GamecubeBC/Virtual Console/WiiWare):

Alien Syndrome*
Arc Rise Fantasia
Baroque

Battleship
Dokapon Kingdom
Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn*

Final Fantasy Chronicles: Echos in Time
Final Fantasy Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers
Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon
Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon
The Last Story

Monster Hunter Tri
Monster Lab
Muramasa: The Demon Blade
Opoona
Pandora's Tower

Phantom Brave: We Meet Again
Pokemon Battle Revolution*
Rune Factory Frontier

Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny
Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love

Shiren the Wanderer
Spectrobes: Origins
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
Valhalla Knights: Eldar Saga
Xenoblade Chronicles

And the PS3's list (not counting PS2BC/PSOne Classics/PSN):

3D Dot Game Heroes
Alpha Protocol
Ar Tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel
Arcania: The Complete Tale
Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk
Atelier Meruru: The Apprentice of Arland
Atelier Rorona: The Alchemist of Arland
Atelier Totori: The Adventurer of Arland
Cross Edge

Dark Souls

DC Universe Online
Demon's Souls
Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice
Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten
Disgaea D2: A Brighter Darkness

Dragon Age 2
Dragon Age: Origins/Awakening
Dragon's Dogma/Dark Arisen
Dungeon Siege 3
Elder Scrolls 4*
Elder Scrolls 5
Enchanted Arms*
Eternal Sonata

Fallout 3
Fallout: New Vegas
Final Fantasy 13
Final Fantasy 13-2

Game of Thrones
The Guided Fate Paradox
Hyperdimensional Neptuina
Hyperdimensional Neptuina mk2
Hyperdimensional Neptuina Victory

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
Last Rebellion
The Lord of the Rings: The War in the North
Mass Effect 2
Mass Effect 3
Mugen Souls
Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
Nier
Record of Agarest War
Record of Agarest War 2
Record of Agarest War Zero
Resonance of Fate

Rise of the Argonauts
Risen 2: Dark Waters
Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny
Sacred 2: Fallen Angel
Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution
Sorcery
Star Ocean 4
Tales of Graces f
Tales of Xillia
Time and Eternity
Trinity Universe
Trinity: Souls of Zill O'll

Two Worlds 2
Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom*
Valkyria Chronicles

Venetica
White Knight Chronicles
White Knight Chronicles 2

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

The stuff that's underlined is what came from Japan.
The stuff that's in bold is what's apparently exclusive for that system.
The stuff with the '*' next to them came out within the first two years (roughly) of the console's life.

The tl;dr is that the 360 has almost twice as many RPG related titles compared to the Wii but less than the PS3 and most of its library consists of multiplatform titles (Vesperia counts as its PS3 version is stranded in Japan; Nier doesn't since the PS3 also got Gestalt in the west in lieu of Replicant). More importantly though is that very few titles on any system came out within the first two years of that console's life (multiplatform or otherwise), and generally speaking suck more often than not.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Jotacon
Contributing Editor

In the Name of the Moon, I will Punish you!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #743 on: June 19, 2013, 02:29:28 AM »

Looking at the Kingdom Hearts Rookie thread I was kind of inspired and figured I'd ask you fine folks. I have limited experience with the Tales series, but it has always been something I think I would like. I have no problem with anime, I like the idea of skits and I like character driven stories. Also RPGs. I've played Tales of Phantasia and thought it was deadly boring and played the beginning of Tales of the Abyss twice and I liked it, but I didn't get far enough to get any more than just a feeling of 'pretty good'.
BUT! I like giving things more chances and the trailer for Xillia looks really cool. I just don't know where to start. I feel the combat could get boring in these games and I hear many people comment that certain games have good combat and others have crappier combat. Basically, I want to know where to start.
Should I wait for Xillia? I'm willing to try even for full price, even if I can't play it right now. If it is supposed to be good, I don't want to be bored of the games when it comes out. Or should I get Graces F or Vesperia? I hear Graces has good combat, but Vesperia has better characters. I can get either of those on the cheap or borrow them. Fans help me...

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #744 on: June 19, 2013, 03:55:07 AM »

You have the basic idea. Graces F has a really fun battle system but its story is ass and its characters are ridiculous archetypes. Vesperia's battle system is less visceral and more combo based, and the characters are much better (except for Rita, who I hate with a passion).

Honestly though, if you want to get Xillia I would wait because Tales games have a habit of burning you out if you play too much.

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #745 on: June 19, 2013, 05:08:16 AM »

Am I the only one who actually liked the Graces characters?  Well, with the notable exception of Pascal who I hate with a passion, much like how Ashtrot feels about Rita ;)  But seriously, though, I just found them more relatable than most Tales games (or most JRPGs for that matter).  Asbel is pretty far from the cool and confident type of protagonist and I understand how that can be annoying for people, but a lot of the problems he deals with (at least in the first half of the game, before super magical evil, etc.) are pretty down-to-earth.  Family problems (he actually has a real family, crazy I know!), trying to find he place in the world, etc.  Sure nothing about him is really super original (but it's a Tales game, come on) but I still don't think that he's archetypical simple because he felt more like a real person than a generic JRPG hero.  The conflict with his brother Hubert was actually believable.  I also really enjoyed Malik, who starts out seeming like a straight-laced military type but then as you play you find out he actually has an awesome sense of humor (I loved pretty much all Malik-Sophie interactions) and a pretty interesting backstory.  He's probably one of my favorite characters in any Tales game.

I'll admit that the female characters aren't as strong.  Pascal is an annoying pile of deus ex machina and Cheria is way too pure and innocent to be believable.  Sophie is extremely naive, of course, but at least she has a good reason for it so I can give her a pass.  And she probably gets the most character development of the bunch.  Still, I didn't hate Cheria and overall I think the cast had more solid characters than bad ones.

And of course the Graces f battle system is sweet.  I never got bored with it.

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #746 on: June 19, 2013, 07:11:02 AM »

Am I the only one who actually liked the Graces characters?  Well, with the notable exception of Pascal who I hate with a passion, much like how Ashtrot feels about Rita ;)  But seriously, though, I just found them more relatable than most Tales games (or most JRPGs for that matter).  Asbel is pretty far from the cool and confident type of protagonist and I understand how that can be annoying for people, but a lot of the problems he deals with (at least in the first half of the game, before super magical evil, etc.) are pretty down-to-earth.  Family problems (he actually has a real family, crazy I know!), trying to find he place in the world, etc.  Sure nothing about him is really super original (but it's a Tales game, come on) but I still don't think that he's archetypical simple because he felt more like a real person than a generic JRPG hero.  The conflict with his brother Hubert was actually believable.  I also really enjoyed Malik, who starts out seeming like a straight-laced military type but then as you play you find out he actually has an awesome sense of humor (I loved pretty much all Malik-Sophie interactions) and a pretty interesting backstory.  He's probably one of my favorite characters in any Tales game.

I'll admit that the female characters aren't as strong.  Pascal is an annoying pile of deus ex machina and Cheria is way too pure and innocent to be believable.  Sophie is extremely naive, of course, but at least she has a good reason for it so I can give her a pass.  And she probably gets the most character development of the bunch.  Still, I didn't hate Cheria and overall I think the cast had more solid characters than bad ones.

And of course the Graces f battle system is sweet.  I never got bored with it.

I don't know about "only", but I certainly do not care for the characters at all. Okay, actually I do like Pascal and Marik (and I suppose Hubert is mildly tolerable).....actually maybe I don't dislike the characters. Maybe my hatred for Cheria, Asbel, and their horrible forced romance just blinds me to the other characters when I think back to the game. I found Asbel constantly changing his "role in the world" to be infuriating.

Code:
Really when he decided to stop being a knight in order to take over for his father to just be mind boggling. He was good as a knight. He was completely unprepared for leading a region. Really his father screwed up the line of succession as Hubert clearly was the one better suited for taking his place. And I'm just going to drop this because I have limited time and I'd like to get into a Cheria rant before I run out of time.

So yeah....Cheria, horrible character. She's a person who is trapped in the past and refuses to move past when she what? 8? (I suppose Asbel has this issue as well) She just is stuck in the exact same place, and she never grows. I know that her aid work is suppose to be her growth or w/e, but she just is yearning for the past and I don't recall her ever getting past that.....in fact the world just decides to grant her wish because why the hell not. Her love for Asbel? Totally just a childhood crush that really only exists because it seems like it was "expected" or something. Her and Asbel have no chemistry and could probably barely stand being in the same room as each other if it wasn't for their "pure and perfect love". Frankly I see their marriage ending up being very passive aggressive, where both of them hate each other without realizing it and staying together just because they have convinced themselves that they are in love. And goddamn it, this relationship gets way too much attention. Arggh!!!!

So yeah, love Pascal and Marik. I don't care if Pascal is deus ex machine like. She is hilarious and entertaining in the inter party conversations. And Marik is just awesome. Unfortunatly those two are not enough to over power my hatred for Asbel and Cheria. >.>
Bleaker

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #747 on: June 19, 2013, 09:47:18 AM »

Whats wrong with you fools? Rita FTW. Mainly because she has been known to hurt Karol. I've only played Vesperia, and have nothing to compare it too, but the game is very good so far. There are a few difficulty spikes though. So if you try the demo for that one, just know that the game is better than that.

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #748 on: June 19, 2013, 10:51:42 AM »

I don't know where the characters comment is coming from for Graces F. I don't find them NEARLY as archetypal as the cast from almost every other Tales game I've played (particularly Abyss) I also kind of like Pascal, mostly because she's the only character without a stick up her ass.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #749 on: June 19, 2013, 04:34:35 PM »

Whats wrong with you fools? Rita FTW. Mainly because she has been known to hurt Karol.
That is exactly what's wrong with her. The violent girl archetype pisses me off. Violence for the sake of violence is really fucking annoying to me. You COULD make a case for Revan's abuse (because he's kind of a perv, and even then it's not so acceptable), but Karol? The only thing he's guilty of is being a bit over-enthusiastic. That really doesn't merit a karate chop to the face. With Yuri, the setup for his violence is understood, dealt with maturely (though dropped halfway through), and had an impact on his relationship with everyone else. With Rita? "Oh, she gets a free pass because it's KAROL." Seriously, wat.

As for the Graces characters, I dunno, Asbel's whole "I'm leaving for ten years and never coming back" thing annoyed me. I know he wanted to be a man but it reeked of immaturity, and his solutions for every problem in the game was really immature, shonen-esque stuff. Cheria was annoying purely because of her waifu-ness, Sophie's boring, Hubert's a douche, and Pascal's the generic Genki Girl. I felt the most connection with Malik and his consistent trolling (he reminds me of Calvin's dad from Calvin & Hobbes).

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 90 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: