Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 05:40:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327263 Posts in 13401 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Tales of PlayStation(s) revealed
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 89 Print
Author Topic: Tales of PlayStation(s) revealed  (Read 82201 times)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #780 on: July 04, 2013, 03:00:43 AM »

Wait, they're doing it at Anime Expo?  I'm actually at AX right now and I didn't know that...I'll have to check the schedule.

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #781 on: July 04, 2013, 07:29:50 AM »

Likely information on:

- ToX2
- ToS 1 and 2 "HD" dual-audio
- ToV PS3 (haaha)
- PSN classics

And probably one or either of the first two, especially if this is a NA/EU event as opposed to a Japanese one.

Don't laugh at my dreams of playing Tales of Vesparia in English on the PS3 without having to wait for the fan translation patch that is taking forever! It will be announced! I believe it will happen. :( :p
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #782 on: July 04, 2013, 07:59:33 AM »

^Fans are still waiting for Vesperia? Like, for real?

Edit: Tales of Symphonia Chronicles will have Dual Audio -- All Games Beta
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 08:08:45 AM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #783 on: July 04, 2013, 08:26:58 AM »

The only thing that was left in Pandora's box was Hope after all.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #784 on: July 04, 2013, 09:27:07 AM »

Tales of fans man. They're almost as crazy as FF fans.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #785 on: July 04, 2013, 10:55:06 AM »

Tales of fans man. They're almost as crazy as FF fans.

Naw, it's because it "seems" like it world be an easy sell and fans were teased about it a number of times for nothing to happen.  The issue is more bitter feelings because it was "solved" in an ugly manner.

Surpri---!!!  ....Nope, not really.  Maybe it's just the attachment and nostalgic love I had for ToS, but I preferred the English cast anyways.  But yay, weeabos should be thrilled.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #786 on: July 05, 2013, 01:20:53 AM »

The only problem I see with this is if future titles don't have dual audio fans will be like 'WHY NOT THEY DID IT BEFORE"

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #787 on: July 05, 2013, 02:40:26 AM »

Fuck symphonia, I want Vesperia 1.1 for ps3. I'd take a Xillia delay if they announced Vesperia PS3 englisb.

TASTY!
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #788 on: July 05, 2013, 08:10:12 AM »

I personally am not......okay yes I am. I'm just not waiting on an official release, that was just me joking. I've got a Japanese copy and a CFW PS3 and I am just waiting on the fan translation patch.....which is taking freaking forever. >.>
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #789 on: July 05, 2013, 10:11:03 AM »

At this point you might as well just learn Japanese.

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #790 on: July 05, 2013, 11:42:46 AM »

At this point you might as well just learn Japanese.

Fan translations are a cruel thing almost.  God bless 'em for doing the hard work they do for free, but man, the amount of time they take (since it's done in free time and as unpaid work) makes me sadly finicky about it.

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #791 on: July 05, 2013, 12:22:23 PM »

They're also not usually all that good for how much time is put into them. Mind you it's not as bad as a machine translation or something, but it seems like most amateur translators have a great grasp of Japanese > English translation, but not so much a grasp on English grammar.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #792 on: July 05, 2013, 01:33:31 PM »

They're also not usually all that good for how much time is put into them. Mind you it's not as bad as a machine translation or something, but it seems like most amateur translators have a great grasp of Japanese > English translation, but not so much a grasp on English grammar.

No matter; Dejap's Tales of Phantasia translation is *totally* the superior fan translation even compared to the official one. x)

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #793 on: July 05, 2013, 01:51:05 PM »

No matter; Dejap's Tales of Phantasia translation is *totally* the superior fan translation even compared to the official one. x)

fo sure
Some people argue that they took too many liberties with the script, but sometimes, between a terrible well translated joke or a new joke with liberties that's actually funny... you're better with the later.

-----

Heck, I'm actually going to go deeper in my argument here.
Having done translation once, I can fully understand what went through their minds.

Take this example: http://www.flickr.com/photos/14011431@N04/2705889296/in/set-72157603569309062
The original text was about 2 JAPANESE books with different styles that are in JAPANESE only and the only reason JAPANESE people read these books is that most school make students read them.

I could have translated this faithfully... but that would just be a big wtfnofunny.
So I took liberties. I considered that I am reaching to an English speaking audience around the world who's only common point is that they played Persona 3. From there, I valued that the most common trait would be to play jRPGs. Among jRPGs, most people know at least a bit about FFVIII and FFX. So, instead of Japanese books, it's now about FFVIII and FFX.

The raw essence of the joke is about the same, but now people can actually A) understand it B) think it's slightly funny.

On the other hand... this one I'm ashamed of: http://www.flickr.com/photos/14011431@N04/1480093758/in/set-72157603569309062

That one is just impossible to localize well and it just sucks... I ended up putting an explanation page after explaining who that guy is and that he does flower arrangement. Not funny at all.

-----

And then there's this one: http://www.flickr.com/photos/14011431@N04/2584684870/in/set-72157603569309062
That's another one that was untranslatable and I just went f-it... I'm making a Tsukihime joke here because it just fits so well.
It has nothing at all to do with the initial joke, but this one at least can potentially be pretty funny.

So, ahoy to Arche and nuptial tiger-like behaviours.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 02:39:21 PM by Annubis » Logged
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #794 on: July 05, 2013, 02:45:41 PM »

Yeah, Phantasia is kind of bland. The problem I have with that line though is that it's Claus, who's 29, talking about a 17 year old. Adds some creepy, doesn't it?
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 89 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: