Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 07:47:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338137 Posts in 13843 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Tales of PlayStation(s) revealed
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 111 Print
Author Topic: Tales of PlayStation(s) revealed  (Read 113365 times)
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #810 on: July 06, 2013, 02:26:18 PM »

This is why I reveal those spoiler boxes one word at a time. Got to "At the end" and immediately stopped.

I actually do that do.  Mainly because I unfortunately have a curious instinct that JUST HAS TO LOOK BEHIND THE BLACK CURTAIN OF SPOILS.  If I see endgame stuff, I resist.  Ash kinda spoiled Last of Us a bit with his anatomy lesson, or at least enough to clue in, but for the most part, I'm clean of it (till a fucking co-worker spilt the beans, on purpose, the f*ck).

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #811 on: July 06, 2013, 02:47:10 PM »

It's okay, I don't think anyone meant to be like 'NYAHAHA SPOILED YA NOW SUCK IT.' Honest boo-boo :)

Plus I think we're letting this take us away from the fact that THREE TALES GAMES WILL BE OUT IN TWO YEARS

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #812 on: July 06, 2013, 02:56:48 PM »

It's okay, I don't think anyone meant to be like 'NYAHAHA SPOILED YA NOW SUCK IT.' Honest boo-boo :)

Plus I think we're letting this take us away from the fact that THREE TALES GAMES WILL BE OUT IN TWO YEARS

Thanks Tae, and thanks Embryon.  I honestly never meant to ruin anything.  If we do the RPGfan Social one day, you can headlock me and gimme the people's elbow.

And yeah, they really are fulfilling their Tales-filled year(s) promise.

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #813 on: July 06, 2013, 03:49:49 PM »

Now that I know we have dual-audio in Symphonia, I'm REALLY interested to see if they're bringing anyone back in to record the English skits-- just to have parity with the J-version. OR, if they're saying "we  couldn't get Menville back, but we gave you Japanese as a bone!"

Either way, I'm stoked. So many Tales games that I want to buy and wish I had more time to play hahaha.

In other news, Hearts R on Vita is awesome.

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #814 on: July 06, 2013, 04:05:51 PM »

Are these games even good anymore? I feel like there's a million of them and they all look the same. I stopped playing Tales after Eternia on PS1.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #815 on: July 06, 2013, 04:11:06 PM »

Are these games even good anymore? I feel like there's a million of them and they all look the same. I stopped playing Tales after Eternia on PS1.

Yeah.

First off they're one of the few big JRPG series that survived post-PS2 (Breath of Fire, gone, Mana series, gone, SaGa, gone, Suikoden, almost gone, Wild Arms, bye-bye, etc.).

Tales of the Abyss has one of the best videogame storylines I've seen (it's "very complete" at the very least; someone back this up they want), and certainly one of the best in the series (I speak for myself, but I'm sure many agree it's at least a highlight of the series).

Tales of Graces sports on the most fun battle systems in real-time RPGs.  Unfortuantely lacks that awesome storyline that's anything more than predictable.  You'll put a LOT of time into this one for everything, literally, everything else in it though.

Vesperia provides a great atmosphere, better-than-average combat, and a big beautiful world with lotsa sidequests (especially if you enjoyed Eternia; but unlike Eternia, Vesperia has an awesome cast of characters).

Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #816 on: July 06, 2013, 04:44:04 PM »

The Tales series evolves organically as it goes on while using different plots and worlds that differ in fundamental ways. For example, while Eternia and Symphonia both have a dual-world thing, they approach it from completely different angles. Pretty much all the games have something in their gameplay to set them apart, and the characters are great. Eternia was where the series really started going.
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #817 on: July 06, 2013, 05:39:53 PM »

Wooo! Glad to hear this! My PS3 will be getting some real Tales love in the next couple years.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #818 on: July 06, 2013, 05:47:38 PM »

Hmm, maybe I'll check out Abyss. That's the one they ported over to the 3DS, right? Has anyone played that version? Is it worth getting?

"Oh, a hunter..."
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #819 on: July 06, 2013, 06:36:13 PM »

If you can get past the absurdly abstract concept that is Fonons then yeah, Abyss' storyline is one of the absolute best. It's just a shame that it didn't have all that great a cast of characters. Some of my favorite alternate costumes, though :p
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #820 on: July 06, 2013, 06:42:46 PM »

Abyss' storyline is one of the absolute best. It's just a shame that it didn't have all that great a cast of characters.

While that's subjective and all that I have to disagree.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #821 on: July 06, 2013, 07:50:06 PM »

Abyss' storyline is one of the absolute best. It's just a shame that it didn't have all that great a cast of characters.

Agreed. Thought Abyss' characters were the best in the series.

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #822 on: July 07, 2013, 12:31:28 AM »

Agreed. Thought Abyss' characters were the best in the series.

I'm at a tie between Abyss' and Vesperia's cast for "best".  Abyss had damn good storylines behind each of them, but I find team Vesperia jived a bit better without the use of "back stories" to beef up their characterization (at least, other than Raven and Yuri to some extent, there wasn't any major "dark past" characters had, whereas most of Abyss' had some to MANY skeletons in the closet).

If you can get past the absurdly abstract concept that is Fonons then yeah, Abyss' storyline is one of the absolute best. It's just a shame that it didn't have all that great a cast of characters. Some of my favorite alternate costumes, though :p

I thought fonons were a cute way of subbing in for about half a dozen pseudo-realistic scientific concepts (and magic) without further driving the amount of technobabble already in the game.  I did like the politics though, issues with free-will and destiny, and ideas about the meaning of life (especially with Luke's complicated scenario), and all were crammed in quite successfully into one, very complete (i.e., it doesn't need a sequel) plot.

Butt fuck. Graces battle system was awesome.  I've said it before, but any game that makes mages 'fun' to play as deserves an award.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 01:24:45 AM by Dice » Logged

(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #823 on: July 07, 2013, 01:19:16 AM »

I thought Fonon's were one of the coolest magic systems in Tales history, to be honest. I liked it a lot better than Aer/Blastia in Vesperia and Cryas in Graces.

Also, Tales of the Abyss is my favorite because of one very key scene:

Code:
Luke's issues with killing an enemy soldier. How many JRPGs throw human enemies at you and no one ever says anything about the wholesale slaughter your ragtag group of anime teenagers just performed? I cannot think of many other JRPGs that out right say that when you fight human enemies you are in fact killing them, and goes so far as to address the issue. I understand that this is largely done in part to demonstrate the depth of Luke's sheltered upbringing, but so much of JRPGs normal battles seem to exist on an abstract level that they sometimes feel disconnected from the rest of the game. I guess what I'm saying is that TotA took a look at something tons of RPGs do and most players take in stride.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #824 on: July 07, 2013, 01:57:04 AM »

2014 better mean like january......

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 111 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: