Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2014, 08:20:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332777 Posts in 13635 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Tales of PlayStation(s) revealed
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 105 Print
Author Topic: Tales of PlayStation(s) revealed  (Read 100134 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #855 on: August 06, 2013, 12:08:31 AM »

I've never been a fan of the more well-known websites because in my opinion they are just too corporatist. Seems like they water things down and don't put any heart into anything anymore. That's why I love RPGFan. Our reviewers are all true gamers that still love RPGs and gaming in general.

Yeah, I can agree with this. :)
I love reading the reviews here.

Oh!  With the exception of the, now "corporate-y" RPGfan Veteran, Kim Wallace.  I love that she covers RPGs for Game Informer; a damn fine fit, I say!

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #856 on: August 06, 2013, 12:10:22 AM »

Edit: Never mind, I feel like I'm being an ass.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 12:16:17 AM by Cyril » Logged
Jotacon

In the Name of the Moon, I will Punish you!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #857 on: August 06, 2013, 12:29:53 AM »

I've never been a fan of the more well-known websites because in my opinion they are just too corporatist. Seems like they water things down and don't put any heart into anything anymore. That's why I love RPGFan. Our reviewers are all true gamers that still love RPGs and gaming in general.
I don't like dividing game reviewers into true and not-true gamers. I'm pretty sure everyone who spends the time to write a review likes video games. It's not like it's hard to find critics who like certain kinds of game either, Kat Bailey is a very good writer and she loves RPGs. Now go ahead and take the piss out of those large websites they certainly deserve it they have problems and some sites have a clear homogeneous feel. However, I will ask you to remember that Jeff Gerstmann wrote for Gamespot(most boring reviews on the planet) before creating Giantbomb(very personal reviews), if there is a problem it is most likely with how things are run - not the writers themselves.

I do agree with the love of RPGFan, I think the writing team is really strong and diverse. I've trusted reviews from here for a while now.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #858 on: August 06, 2013, 12:39:33 AM »

desperately sticking in fancy words and phrases trying to sound smart without really grasping the nuisances of their usage.
I agree it really is a nuisance to use language, particularly fancy words. I read the review and it is very IGN.

Touche.

Obviously I meant 'nuances' and in my defense I don't have any editors to read over my forum posts before showing them to the world, nor do I get paid for this shit ;)

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #859 on: August 06, 2013, 12:41:17 AM »

Isn't an 8.0 on IGN like a 9.8 from an actual RPG fan review?  I just read their end of review summary since I got the chance to play around 15-20 hours of the import and the summary part sounded fine at least to me for an IGN review.  I do disagree about the graphics though.  I think the graphics are pretty damn great if you like the art style.  They don't feel outdated to me.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 03:59:53 PM by Akanbe- » Logged

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #860 on: August 06, 2013, 12:46:38 AM »

To add more to the discussion, I don't necessarily feel that it's large-website homogenization that's the problem here.  In recent years IGN has really been pushing video/audio content over written content.  Written reviews have also gotten noticeably shorter, no doubt because they ran some numbers and figured most people don't actually read them beyond a certain length so why bother.  But I think the biggest problem is that they really want to be an internet TV channel or something, with video news, video reviews, video editorials, etc.  There is much less emphasis on the written word these days.  Personally I hate video content because I can't just skim it and pick out the parts I care about, but I guess I'm in the minority.

P.S.: I don't give a shit about their score.  That was never my complaint.

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #861 on: August 06, 2013, 12:48:47 AM »

Isn't an 8.0 on IGN like a 9.8 from an actual RPG fan review?  I just read their end of review summary since I got the chance to play around 15-20 hours of the import and the summary part sounded fine at least to me for an IGN review.  I do disagree about the graphics though.  I think the graphics are pretty damn great if you like the art style.  They don't feel outdated to me.

Why doesn't Ashton's review show up on metacritic?

Eh...  The graphics are good but still have their shortcomings.  For one, everyone's outfit has some pretty easy-to-spot pixelation (and the game has no problem with showing character close ups).  There is also some sloppy issues with character hair going in and out of character models (rather than grazing the surface).  The emotional range or the characters is pretty stiff as well.  I find, and always have, Tales games really excel in their ability to produce lovely environments rather than exquisite character models.  This may be a nuance, but I'm also gonna throw a big "NO" to Milla -- the chick is waaay too emaciated that she stands out in a really creepy way amongst her more fully-dressed team members.

Also, after having come off playing Eternal Sonata, as far as JRPGs go, their graphics were almost *flawless* in this regard.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #862 on: August 06, 2013, 05:17:16 AM »

To add more to the discussion, I don't necessarily feel that it's large-website homogenization that's the problem here.  In recent years IGN has really been pushing video/audio content over written content.  Written reviews have also gotten noticeably shorter, no doubt because they ran some numbers and figured most people don't actually read them beyond a certain length so why bother.  But I think the biggest problem is that they really want to be an internet TV channel or something, with video news, video reviews, video editorials, etc.  There is much less emphasis on the written word these days.  Personally I hate video content because I can't just skim it and pick out the parts I care about, but I guess I'm in the minority.

P.S.: I don't give a shit about their score.  That was never my complaint.

You forgot the e-Sports. They really want competitive videogame playing to become ubiquitous enough to garner a spot on basic cable (as well as making themselves the forefront of that movement).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #863 on: August 06, 2013, 02:47:12 PM »

Is there a consensus on how much game there actually is with this? I didn't keep up with any of the media releases unfortunately.

I imagine with having to choose between two characters as your main, you'll likely miss out on some plot points?
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #864 on: August 06, 2013, 03:08:32 PM »

So is Milla supposed to have a lisp, or is that just bad audio recording? Kind of hard to tell.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #865 on: August 06, 2013, 03:29:01 PM »

So is Milla supposed to have a lisp, or is that just bad audio recording? Kind of hard to tell.

The former, the latter, and possibly just a spice of 'bad acting' on top.

Nel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #866 on: August 06, 2013, 04:44:08 PM »

Picked up Xillia this morning. But I won't be able to play it or Graces f until I buy a PS3 next month. Haven't touched the series since Vesperia in 2008 and I'm itching to hope back in.

Also, quick question about Symphonia's HD release coming out next year: are they revamping the battle system to include the whole "3D plain" thing that Abyss introduced. Because that was my favorite addition to the battle system.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #867 on: August 06, 2013, 05:32:27 PM »

Tales of Get!

Now I just need a PS3 and I'll be kosher.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #868 on: August 06, 2013, 09:00:53 PM »

My copy is sitting, still wrapped, in my bed, waiting patiently for Dragon's Crown to finish fucking my disc tray.

TASTY!
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #869 on: August 06, 2013, 09:15:00 PM »

That's precisely why I canceled my PS3 DC order and went with Vita.  That way I can play Xillia while my Vita charges, haha.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 105 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: