Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2014, 08:06:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332705 Posts in 13630 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Tales of PlayStation(s) revealed
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 105 Print
Author Topic: Tales of PlayStation(s) revealed  (Read 99960 times)
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #960 on: December 13, 2013, 11:06:29 AM »

As long as they're working on closing the gap, I'm fine with getting Zestiria in 2015. Also, it'd be nice if they'd stop pretending we're living in some kind of time vortex or something. Tales of turned 15 this year? Yeah, sure...

(Well, I guess it'd work in the US if you start counting from the release of Tales of Destiny. But not for Europe. Our first Tales game was Tales of Symphonia in 2004.)
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #961 on: December 13, 2013, 11:35:23 AM »

Wait...I thought the 15th birthday of Tales was 3 years ago. =| Maybe by the time we get it, it'll be on the 20th anniversary...

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #962 on: December 13, 2013, 12:00:03 PM »

In Japan, yes. I didn't think they'd try to celebrate it again this year in the rest of the world, but I guess they did. I can't count the number of times I had to correct workers on my hands anymore... Tales of is 18! Don't believe Namco Bandai's lies D:
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #963 on: December 13, 2013, 12:09:30 PM »

Besides Final Fantasy and showing FF15.... a full console's lifespan ahead of time, I'd actually be surprised if they're showing Zestiria off this early.  That's usually not the case, is it?

Either way, 2014 and 15 sound like they'll be busy years gaming-wise.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #964 on: December 13, 2013, 07:53:48 PM »

Get Tales of Graces f (PS3 - $19.99) and/or Tales of the Abyss (3DS - $14.99) half-off before Dec. 15.

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #965 on: December 15, 2013, 07:46:23 PM »

Rumour (apparently confirmed by Baba) says Tatsuro Udo is working on the game.

Meaning?

He's the battle designer for the Team Destiny games...or to NA/EU people: The guy who did Graces.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 07:48:59 PM by Dice » Logged

unsmashable_pumpkin

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #966 on: December 16, 2013, 11:40:05 AM »

So I put Tales of Xillia on my wish-list for christmas, but judging by the reactions in Dice's GOTY thread a lot of you seem pretty disappointed with it.
Do you still think it would work as a good starting point for the series? At least as a litmus test?

The only other game in the series I have played is Tales of Eternia, which was ok, but I found the combat to be a bit too button-mashy and simplistic. I wanted to check out one of the 3D versions, but I was having issues deciding on which one. After checking out about 5-10 minutes of Graces f on youtube, I don't think I could put up with that kind of story/writing for an entire game, but Xillia seemed tolerable.
I don't have a 3DS or 360, so at the moment Vesperia and Abyss are out. I suppose I could wait for the Symphonia HD rerelease if that is a better starting point.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #967 on: December 16, 2013, 12:18:43 PM »

So I put Tales of Xillia on my wish-list for christmas, but judging by the reactions in Dice's GOTY thread a lot of you seem pretty disappointed with it.
Do you still think it would work as a good starting point for the series? At least as a litmus test?

The only other game in the series I have played is Tales of Eternia, which was ok, but I found the combat to be a bit too button-mashy and simplistic. I wanted to check out one of the 3D versions, but I was having issues deciding on which one. After checking out about 5-10 minutes of Graces f on youtube, I don't think I could put up with that kind of story/writing for an entire game, but Xillia seemed tolerable.
I don't have a 3DS or 360, so at the moment Vesperia and Abyss are out. I suppose I could wait for the Symphonia HD rerelease if that is a better starting point.

Tales games are funny, they each seem to have a thing they're "good" at.  That's sort-of why Xillia sticks out badly... because nothing is particularly impressive.

Combat was done better Graces, characters were done better in Vesperia, plot was done better in Abyss, music was done better Legendia, and dungeons were done better in Symphonia.  Xillia is by no means BAD, it's just lackluster and sometimes incredibly lazy in other parts.  I still put in 80 hours with Xillia, but it never really "hooked" me like you really want a good RPG to do.

I don't know how to go on, so I'll do this:
PRO
+ It is a good battle system, not Graces good, but entertaining.
+ Simple and effective weakness system that makes linking characters a lot of fun and making each character useful in unique ways
+ Lovely towns
+ Two POV characters (YMMV in how varied their point of view is though)
+ Tons of sidequests and surprisingly interesting B-plots (ie; sidequest plots)
+ Finally the Tales world takes on Asian motifs and design
+ Pretty cool villains
+ Rowen, Leia, Alvin

CONS
- One of the worst RPG world map/field ever.  Most of the locations are boxed-in fields where the most intuitive thing you do is climb a vine.  The Xill world is a succesion of box-canyons with a new coat of paint... Winter!  Fall!  Nighttime!
- I know I said the villains were cool, but their motives are foolish, two of the sort-of supernatural bad guys you meet later are especially dumb
- Shop system is a hit or miss
- Dungeons are fucking awful.  Symphonia had wonderful puzzles in each dungeon.  This game has, literally, nothing.  The most intuitive thing you do is hit a switch or jump off ledges.  They basically feel like an extension of the world map.
- Sphere Grid Lilium Orb isn't very inspiring
- Occasional frame rate issues in battle...
- Jude is a lame MC.

If you really want a good battle system, many Tales fans love the hell out of Graces and it can become easy to look past the bland and "fluffy" plot and characters in exchange for a really fresh and in-depth battle system.  Graces simply gives you a TON to do even if the story isn't impressive.  You will probably get a bit more plot out of Xillia, but you'll have to deal with a lot of other cons.  So the question is: Are you gameplay-oriented or story-oriented?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 12:32:01 PM by Dice » Logged

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #968 on: December 16, 2013, 12:44:11 PM »

starting point for the series?

If possible, I'd recommend playing them in order:
- Tales of Phantasia (SNES w/ DEJAP's patch for the real experience or PSX w/ phantasian's patch - Don't touch the GBA version)
- Tales of Destiny (PSX)
- Tales of Eternia (PSX or PSP)
- Tales of Symphonia (wait for the HD coming soon on PS3)
- Tales of the Abyss (PS2 or 3DS)
- Tales of Vesperia (... sadly, xbox360 only)
- Tales of Graces F (PS3)
- Tales of Xillia (PS3)

Depending on what consoles you have, you may have to skip some of them.

- Jude is a lame MC.

I'd say ONE of the MC is lame. People tend to hate Jude and love Milla or the other way around.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 12:51:04 PM by Annubis » Logged
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #969 on: December 16, 2013, 01:41:35 PM »

I guess I should be glad I only spent $20. Haven't started STILL because I got and started Ys. Whooooops.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
unsmashable_pumpkin

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #970 on: December 16, 2013, 01:53:51 PM »

Thanks for the tips :D

If possible, I'd recommend playing them in order:
- Tales of Phantasia (SNES w/ DEJAP's patch for the real experience or PSX w/ phantasian's patch - Don't touch the GBA version)
- Tales of Destiny (PSX)
- Tales of Eternia (PSX or PSP)
- Tales of Symphonia (wait for the HD coming soon on PS3)
- Tales of the Abyss (PS2 or 3DS)
- Tales of Vesperia (... sadly, xbox360 only)
- Tales of Graces F (PS3)
- Tales of Xillia (PS3)

Unfortunately, I live in Europe-land without a region-free device to play psx-games so for phantasia it would be gba or bust. :/
My completionist tendencies makes a sequential playthrough seem like it would be the best idea, but it might be a bit hard to pull off from a practical point of view.
I do plan on picking up a 3DS, in part to play Abyss, but for some reason I hate a lot of the two-tone 3DS XL colours
I keep getting indecisive between which I prefer of the bigger screen of the XL, and the better price + nice colour selections of the original model. I know that the games are more important, but the prettiness of my white Vita has made me realise how nice non-black consoles can be.

[/quote]

Tales games are funny, they each seem to have a thing they're "good" at.  That's sort-of why Xillia sticks out badly... because nothing is particularly impressive.

Combat was done better Graces, characters were done better in Vesperia, plot was done better in Abyss, music was done better Legendia, and dungeons were done better in Symphonia.  Xillia is by no means BAD, it's just lackluster and sometimes incredibly lazy in other parts.  I still put in 80 hours with Xillia, but it never really "hooked" me like you really want a good RPG to do.

I don't know how to go on, so I'll do this:
PRO
+ It is a good battle system, not Graces good, but entertaining.
+ Simple and effective weakness system that makes linking characters a lot of fun and making each character useful in unique ways
+ Lovely towns
+ Two POV characters (YMMV in how varied their point of view is though)
+ Tons of sidequests and surprisingly interesting B-plots (ie; sidequest plots)
+ Finally the Tales world takes on Asian motifs and design
+ Pretty cool villains
+ Rowen, Leia, Alvin

CONS
- One of the worst RPG world map/field ever.  Most of the locations are boxed-in fields where the most intuitive thing you do is climb a vine.  The Xill world is a succesion of box-canyons with a new coat of paint... Winter!  Fall!  Nighttime!
- I know I said the villains were cool, but their motives are foolish, two of the sort-of supernatural bad guys you meet later are especially dumb
- Shop system is a hit or miss
- Dungeons are fucking awful.  Symphonia had wonderful puzzles in each dungeon.  This game has, literally, nothing.  The most intuitive thing you do is hit a switch or jump off ledges.  They basically feel like an extension of the world map.
- Sphere Grid Lilium Orb isn't very inspiring
- Occasional frame rate issues in battle...
- Jude is a lame MC.

If you really want a good battle system, many Tales fans love the hell out of Graces and it can become easy to look past the bland and "fluffy" plot and characters in exchange for a really fresh and in-depth battle system.  Graces simply gives you a TON to do even if the story isn't impressive.  You will probably get a bit more plot out of Xillia, but you'll have to deal with a lot of other cons.  So the question is: Are you gameplay-oriented or story-oriented?

Hm. I think I would classify myself as being story-oriented, but then again, it feels a bit wrong suggesting I would be playing a tales game for the story. I guess it's more accurate to say that I tend to enjoy a lot of the more ancilliary things in RPGs over straight-up combat (which usually becomes repetitive by the end of the game, even if it starts out good), so exploration, side-quests, crafting and well thought out (non-)combat game-mechanics. I particularly enjoy puzzle elements, so maybe Symphonia would be the best bet.
Either way, I think I'll give Xillia a shot if I do end up getting it. Even if it isn't the best in the series, that might make it more enjoyable playing it before other (better) installments.

Another thing: I know that some of these games have local co-op, any of you tried that out, and know how well it works?
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #971 on: December 16, 2013, 03:18:22 PM »

Another thing: I know that some of these games have local co-op, any of you tried that out, and know how well it works?

Pretty well, actually. It's just the battles that are co-op, but if your player 2 has a similar way of playing RPGs it should be fine. I played through Symphonia (first playthrough) and Vesperia (third playthrough) as player 2. The guy I played Vesperia with and I want to do a co-op Xillia playthrough next. Should be fun.

Oh, but switch controllers once in a while or atleast let player 2 pick a character first, especially if you're playing a Tales game with dungeons that don't require much thinking.

Either way, I think I'll give Xillia a shot if I do end up getting it. Even if it isn't the best in the series, that might make it more enjoyable playing it before other (better) installments.

Despite its flaws it's still a very fun game and I definitely got my money's worth. Put in 80 hours or so. Even went as far as getting the platinum trophy, which is something I normally never aim for. (Granted, it was fairly easy to get, but stilll...)

I do plan on picking up a 3DS, in part to play Abyss, but for some reason I hate a lot of the two-tone 3DS XL colours
I keep getting indecisive between which I prefer of the bigger screen of the XL, and the better price + nice colour selections of the original model. I know that the games are more important, but the prettiness of my white Vita has made me realise how nice non-black consoles can be.

I've had my regular 3DS since launch (the greenish blue one) and the screens are comfortable enough. It's smaller size also makes it easy to carry it around with me, which is great because I adore the whole streetpass thing. I have tried the XL, but since I'm used to the smaller greens the big ones just make games look kinda... blurry.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #972 on: December 16, 2013, 03:43:56 PM »

Since we're on the subject of Xillia, one thing I did like about it was that they tried to go for some...innovative environments that weren't quite standard in a fantasy game.  It's going to be hard to top Fennmont for me, since that hits all of my weaknesses in "preferred cityscapes" but I do hope Zestiria keeps up the trend of more interestingly designed cities rather than try something like Graces where all of the cities are extremely traditional and not particularly notable.

Oh, and please, please, please return the puzzles to dungeons.  I'm a huge sucker for dungeons with puzzles, which is probably why I enjoy Wild ARMs so much.
Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #973 on: December 16, 2013, 06:16:29 PM »

Oh, and please, please, please return the puzzles to dungeons.  I'm a huge sucker for dungeons with puzzles, which is probably why I enjoy Wild ARMs so much.

THIS!!! a thousand times, THIS

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #974 on: December 16, 2013, 07:23:16 PM »

THIS!!! a thousand times, THIS

Vesperia was still pretty dry, but I was happy they kept the sorcer's ring for a few parts of the game.  But yeah, I loved Symphonia for some "mind-tickling" dungeons.  Xillia was absolutely dreadful in that respect; like I said earlier, there is no real disernable difference between the world map and a dungeon map -- they play the exact same.  So yeah, I'd love to see some form of puzzles come back to the series. 

Unsmash:  Story-wise, I think Abyss is the best.  It starts very political (I like that, I know others don't) but gets into more grand themes that stretch beyond simple "save the world" stuff.  Gameplay-wise it's a mixed bag, but I think even the creators knew they were going in for plot or something, the emphasis is obviously there. 

In the end it doesn't matter, since -- at the moment -- there isn't a particularly "new" Tales game out, they're all really cheap and I think you'll be getting the bang for your buck regardless.  Besides the infamous "Tales of Tempest", there really isn't a "terrible" Tales game and I admire the series' consistency and longevity.

- Jude is a lame MC.

I'd say ONE of the MC is lame. People tend to hate Jude and love Milla or the other way around.

I kinda found them both one-tracked.  Milla talks about her mission in at LEAST 30% of her skits, and (as Ashton so fondly points out) "Jude follows his penis like a divining rod".  They get nicely fleshed out later on beyond that at least.  But as far as Tales characters go, they're not my favorite.

I was more a fan of Leia and Rowen.  And Alvin to some extent when he wasn't pulling some of his mid-game stunts.

Code:
The fact he betrays the party about 5 different times feels more like a running gag than an effective plot point...  I like how him being from Elympios plays out though, and the bit with his mother is quite touching; but the shit with his uncle being a "big bad" (for about 10 minutes) was a peculiar choice.

----

If I typed stupid, I'm sick and dizzy and can't think straight.  Sorry if the post is bad/confusing.

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 105 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: