Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 02:05:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338029 Posts in 13841 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Tales of PlayStation(s) revealed
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 111 Print
Author Topic: Tales of PlayStation(s) revealed  (Read 113074 times)
unsmashable_pumpkin

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1005 on: January 13, 2014, 11:33:59 AM »

Heads up for people who may be interested:

As of tomorrow Tales of Xillia will be 10 bucks on the US PSN for ps+ users, and 19 for non-plus users. There is also a (much less enticing) sale on the EU one, where both Xillia and Graces f are discounted.

10 bucks is a small enough sum that I've decided to take the plunge.
Nel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1006 on: January 13, 2014, 02:56:07 PM »

I'm in the very definitely final dungeon of Tales Of Graces F a few months after starting the game. I'd say overall, good game. A nice plot, fun cast (I actually liked all the party members this time). I also liked how the title/skill system works in this too. I think that, barring Lineage And Legacies, this may be the second shortest Tales game I've ever played, behind Symphonia's sequel. I think by the time I reached the Ghardia Shaft, I was about 30 hours in. As for what I didn't like, well, the game felt extremely linear most of the time, barring you from certain areas and kind of forcing you along to the next plot point. And the actual battle system. That CC meter is kryptonite. A single attack? Costs CC. Sidestepping and dodging? Costs CC. Running freely? That thing you could do since Abyss? Costs CC. And then you run out and all you can do is guard or walk feebly until it refills enough to do anything substantial. Blargh. Give me back my MP meter any day.

And you know what really, really irks me? I decided that for my NG+ run, I'd do it in different costumes. But all the good costumes are DLC and they're... $3.99 each? What are you smoking, Namco? I'd pay $3.99 for all the costumes together, at the very least, but for each one? Screw yourselves. (And yes, I know I'm late to the party complaining about this. :p)

Welp, time to finish up the final stuff, and finally move on to Xillia.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1007 on: January 13, 2014, 04:53:40 PM »

Sidestepping and dodging? Costs CC.

You're doing it wrong.

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1008 on: January 13, 2014, 05:12:06 PM »

You're doing it wrong.

Dodging at the right time can RESTORE CC.  You never have to use free-run to play properly (I think I used it twice to get out of a "diagonal issue" when some enemies were surrounding me).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ihc8xT0dYgQ#t=70 [EDIT: Annubis' vid is better]
This video catches that perfectly.  When he dodges a few hits from Sophie he gains +5CC and +6CC (or some numbers) just against the one hit.  If you keep dodging attacks, you'll rarely run out of CC.  Certain gems of course make the effects even better.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 05:26:22 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1009 on: January 13, 2014, 05:16:43 PM »

You're doing it wrong.

Yay! A reason to post my favorite ToGF vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vOZVskIWLo
Nel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1010 on: January 13, 2014, 06:50:59 PM »

And I don't care. It's still stupid. #3#
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1011 on: January 13, 2014, 07:11:43 PM »

I've noticed Tales players are EXTREMELY polarized about the ToGF battle system. Frankly, I love it. Give me a resource I only have to manage per battle as opposed to per dungeon any day.
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #1012 on: January 13, 2014, 07:20:59 PM »

I agree Klutz. I feel ToG has the best battle system in the series.

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1013 on: January 13, 2014, 07:27:16 PM »

Agreed as well.  I highly prefer Graces F's battle system.  I think one of its main problems is that it has a huge, huge learning curve.  I don't think I learned to play with it "properly" until well into my Hard Mode run.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1014 on: January 13, 2014, 10:58:40 PM »

Definitely.  If Zesty doesn't try something new or stick with CC, I can't say I'm looking forward to more "TP" combos.

Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1015 on: January 14, 2014, 12:16:58 AM »

Definitely.  If Zesty doesn't try something new or stick with CC, I can't say I'm looking forward to more "TP" combos.

In Zestiria, you will have Zesty Points (ZP). Zesty Points are regained whenever the character looks refreshing. Stopping and doing nothing will be the base method of recovering ZP but there are more complex ways of regaining ZP even faster. Gauging the field will be important to be able to find a quiet little corner to pin down a lawn chair + umbrella, lay down and slowly savour a pina colada.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1016 on: January 15, 2014, 08:24:11 AM »

Graces seems to have the most loved battle system, or at least one of the most but I totally agree with Nel, give me my MP back.
I didn't have much trouble using it but I never figured out a way to make it good.
About the rest of the game I personally didn't like it much. I thought the story was uninteresting, just like the characters and especially the main vilan. The final dungeon was a little too confusing for my taste but maybe it was because by the end of the game I wanted it to end so my patience was at its end.

Now I got Xillia. I hope I enjoy it like I did with Vesperia.

Nel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1017 on: January 15, 2014, 01:16:58 PM »

I played about an hour of Xillia a few nights ago. The town you start in looks gorgeous, and that you can actually change the camera angle as you walk around it is pretty cool. The only thing that kind of made me raise an eye is the character models. They don't quite look like the way they're drawn in the official art (they don't look as... anime? I dunno.) and every time Jude talks, he looks like a soulless mannequin with the way his mouth moves. And yeah, I picked Jude. Milla's severe love of the letter S in the intro cutscene was enough to drive me away. XD

So, back to Graces for the moment. I'm going to enjoy my 10x experience, darn it.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1018 on: January 15, 2014, 01:48:47 PM »

I played about an hour of Xillia a few nights ago. The town you start in looks gorgeous, and that you can actually change the camera angle as you walk around it is pretty cool. The only thing that kind of made me raise an eye is the character models. They don't quite look like the way they're drawn in the official art (they don't look as... anime? I dunno.) and every time Jude talks, he looks like a soulless mannequin with the way his mouth moves. And yeah, I picked Jude. Milla's severe love of the letter S in the intro cutscene was enough to drive me away. XD

So, back to Graces for the moment. I'm going to enjoy my 10x experience, darn it.

I think it's 60/40.  The actress might have a slight lisp, but I think the de-essing for Xillia wasn't very well done.  A lot of character "s's" are kinda "loud".

Jude's side is probably the better side as well.
The one major part you miss on Milla's side is interesting....but incredibly boring, and it looks like instagram.

Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1019 on: January 15, 2014, 01:54:18 PM »

I'm no expert on audio recording, but I did sleep at a Holyday Inn Express last night...
Sounds to me like a not so good mic without a cover on it (or screen)
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 111 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: