Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 01:30:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327806 Posts in 13420 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Tales of PlayStation(s) revealed
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 90 Print
Author Topic: Tales of PlayStation(s) revealed  (Read 84111 times)
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1035 on: February 02, 2014, 10:01:33 AM »

I was thinking of starting a thread to muse on the Tales series, but this one works wonderfully for that.  I haven't played as many as others here (I've played Phantasia in multiple formats, Destiny, Symphonia, and Radiant Mythology) but I do enjoy the series. 

I think my favorite is still Destiny.  Sure its plot isn't as epic in scope as Phantasia's, but I like how it sidesteps a few cliches while still being a classic RPG plot.  I like that Destiny didn't start out in the hero's hometown.  Heck, I don't remember even visiting the hero's hometown till almost halfway through the game and *gasp* it never got razed!  I also liked that the hero's main love interest
Code:
was NOT the main heroine.  Stahn was never really interested in Rutee romantically throughout the game.  The girl he was interested in was that townie girl he had a long date scene with who later on turned out to be a villain.  Rutee and Mary were funny during that scene.  Yeah, the two eventually couple off and have a kid for the sequel, but it would have been an interesting sidestep had they not coupled off.

"Immortality is a manga artist without deadlines.  Without deadlines, the manga artist will never get the job done."
   -Battle Angel Alita: Last Order, Phase 58
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1036 on: February 02, 2014, 11:05:58 AM »

I was thinking of starting a thread to muse on the Tales series, but this one works wonderfully for that.  I haven't played as many as others here (I've played Phantasia in multiple formats, Destiny, Symphonia, and Radiant Mythology) but I do enjoy the series. 

I think my favorite is still Destiny.  Sure its plot isn't as epic in scope as Phantasia's, but I like how it sidesteps a few cliches while still being a classic RPG plot.  I like that Destiny didn't start out in the hero's hometown.  Heck, I don't remember even visiting the hero's hometown till almost halfway through the game and *gasp* it never got razed!  I also liked that the hero's main love interest
Code:
was NOT the main heroine.  Stahn was never really interested in Rutee romantically throughout the game.  The girl he was interested in was that townie girl he had a long date scene with who later on turned out to be a villain.  Rutee and Mary were funny during that scene.  Yeah, the two eventually couple off and have a kid for the sequel, but it would have been an interesting sidestep had they not coupled off.

I wish to hell that they'd do a SURPRISE RELEASE of Destiny R on PSN.  Hoooolllyyyy craaap that'd have been amazing.
I like the Destiny a lot as well, but the random encounters (and random encounters during puzzles) really bothered me but the rest was good.  I think it was that sort-of perfect PSX-era RPG that didn't take too many steps away from being a more "Classic RPG" but also felt like a fresh ground because it was capable of that much more (PSX felt sort of "magical" for RPGs in this regard).

Speaking of PSX-Magical-Era-ness: ToE feels like the least talked about title though, but I have huuuge soft spot for this title.  For one, I love the amount of side quests and the gorgeous hand-drawn backgrounds.  I actually miss the hell out of hand-drawn/pre-rendered backgrounds and I love when titles still do them.

I'm pretty psyched to replay Symphonia.  It's dated by now, but I do have a lot of good memories with it.  Also, me being a goof here: But I remember walking my dog just before I bought it, and the PS3 release is in celebration to its 10th Anniversary.  I also loved how Colette is a dog-lover.  So happy Birthday, to my girl and happy Birthday ToS!!

My favorites otherwise drift to Abyss for its plot and Graces for its battle system. 

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1037 on: February 02, 2014, 11:22:38 AM »

I've played Symphonia, Xillia, Vesperia, Abyss, and Radiant Mythology. Symphonia was my first and still my favorite. Like Dice said, lots of fond memories of that game. Can't wait to play it again in HD later on this month. Other than Radiant Mythology, which is clearly the worst of the ones I've played, my least favorite main series title I've played was Abyss. I'm in the minority, but I didn't enjoy the plot at all and the atrocious loading times and framerate really got to me when I played it. I actually waited months before going back to it and finishing it. Not sure if the 3DS version fixed all that.

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1038 on: February 02, 2014, 11:33:54 AM »

I've played Symphonia, Xillia, Vesperia, Abyss, and Radiant Mythology. Symphonia was my first and still my favorite. Like Dice said, lots of fond memories of that game. Can't wait to play it again in HD later on this month. Other than Radiant Mythology, which is clearly the worst of the ones I've played, my least favorite main series title I've played was Abyss. I'm in the minority, but I didn't enjoy the plot at all and the atrocious loading times and framerate really got to me when I played it. I actually waited months before going back to it and finishing it. Not sure if the 3DS version fixed all that.

Yes it did

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1039 on: February 02, 2014, 12:03:03 PM »

Yes it did

May have to grab that at some point then.

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1040 on: February 02, 2014, 12:28:34 PM »

Yes it did

May have to grab that at some point then.

One thing I like is that I *finally* explored all of Daath (the giant church-city).  Before the loading times paired against corridor after CORRIDOR AFTER CORRIDOR made it a nightmare to walk through.

The game could totally use an HD update.  Even for a PS2 era game, the game's graphics were crap.

And as much as I love Symphonia, I always tune out of the plot the moment gothic angel things show up.

(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1041 on: February 02, 2014, 12:36:13 PM »

I honestly never really noticed the loading times the first time I played TotA, but when I tried to replay it a couple years later I absolutely could not stand them. I really need to pick that up for 3DS.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1042 on: February 02, 2014, 02:25:25 PM »

I like the Destiny a lot as well, but the random encounters (and random encounters during puzzles) really bothered me but the rest was good.  I think it was that sort-of perfect PSX-era RPG that didn't take too many steps away from being a more "Classic RPG" but also felt like a fresh ground because it was capable of that much more (PSX felt sort of "magical" for RPGs in this regard).

Really? Even the awful dungeon design? Because I remember ToD having dungeons that never end (or if one does end, its so another can begin right on top of it).

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1043 on: February 02, 2014, 02:41:26 PM »

Destiny definitely had some long dungeons.  But between that and the encounter rate, Stahn became so powerful that you could just bulldoze your way through everything.  Not so in Phantasia where you actually had to strategize. 

"Immortality is a manga artist without deadlines.  Without deadlines, the manga artist will never get the job done."
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1044 on: February 02, 2014, 03:09:27 PM »

Destiny definitely had some long dungeons.  But between that and the encounter rate, Stahn became so powerful that you could just bulldoze your way through everything.  Not so in Phantasia where you actually had to strategize. 

The extra dungeon in Phantasia especially. You even had to be careful with your items if you planned on making the whole descent in one shot.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1045 on: February 02, 2014, 04:59:21 PM »

Really? Even the awful dungeon design? Because I remember ToD having dungeons that never end (or if one does end, its so another can begin right on top of it).

I remember they were long, but it might have been due to the random battle rate not helping things (and early Tales sucked for who was attacking -- usually it's just Stahn doing all the work).

It's been about 10 years since I played it last though.

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1046 on: February 03, 2014, 06:48:09 AM »

Let me see here, which Tales of games have I played? Phantasia, Destiny, Eternia, Symphonia, Legendia, Abyss, Graces, and Xillia.  Overall favorite has to be....Symphonia I guess? It is the one that I played the hell out of (although I never did manage to get all titles). Overall I just enjoyed it the most. I also highly rate Phantasia, Eternia, Abyss, and Xillia. I am meh on Graces (worst main character and love interest in the series!). I generally dislike Destiny, although I might like it more now.....it just wasn't what I was looking for when I played it. I absolutely abhor Legendia.
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #1047 on: February 03, 2014, 08:04:03 AM »

Since people are weighing in with their opinions on different titles they'd played, I thought I would too.

Phantasia - Fun to play, and a real classic JRPG (for all the right reasons). Playing it through again at the moment, and it's still good.

Eternia - I remember adoring it when I first played it, but I honestly don't remember it that well.

Symphonia - The first one I played and *probably* still my favourite. Genus and Raine were annoying, but I loved the story and the rest of the party was really solid. Watching Colette fall apart as the game progressed was really riveting. Also, I hadn't remembered that Martel and Yggdrasil are really important in Phantasia too!

Abyss - Boring. I honestly don't understand what the fuss was with this one. I never warmed to anyone. I found the gameplay slow and the story unbelievably confusing until about halfway through, and by that point I pretty much didn't give a damn any more. I swear, if anyone tries to talk about Yulia or Fonic Hymns again without explaining what the damn things are (not to mention all the other useless terminology), I will throw my console out the window.

Vesperia - One of my favourites. Good characters and story and just fun to play. Yuri and Flynn were an awesome pair.

Hearts - My favourite 2D Tales with a fantastic battle system. It just sort of fit the DS perfectly and I really enjoyed it, even though Kohak's journey was quite similar to Colette's.

Graces - My favourite of recent years. Battle system blew me away. While I do understand people's complaints about the story, I still enjoyed it. And while the cast weren't particularly impressive, I liked the relationship between Asbel and Hubert. Sophie was kinda cool, and I like Cheria when she was a kid (not so much as an "adult").

Xillia - Incredibly dull. Hated all the characters. I'm struggling to think of a redeeming feature... Oh, Milla was kind of okay, I guess. What irked me the most was Alvin. Not so much in the way the game wanted me to hate him, but the way the other characters dealt with him was so unrealistic. Too many second chances; they should have stabbed him and been done with it. We had a discussion a few pages early about how Gaius is cool, but did anyone else wish Ivar would have been playable? Dude was hilarious and had more personality and motivation than the main characters put together.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 08:07:43 AM by FlamingR1ft » Logged

Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1048 on: February 03, 2014, 08:10:47 AM »

It really is too bad that the official English localizations we got of Phantasia were both bad.  The GBA version was listless and the iOS version was FUBAR. 

Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1049 on: February 03, 2014, 08:22:19 AM »

I've played Phantasia (S.Fam, GBA, PS1), Destiny (PS1), Eternia (PS1, PSP), Symphonia (GC), Legendia (PS2), Abyss (PS2), Vesperia (360), Innocence (DS), Graces (PS3), and Xillia (PS3).  My least favorite by FAR is Destiny on the PS1.  That game is like a slower, jankier Phantasia with too many characters, most of them uninteresting or rote.  Garr was my favorite, but I usually like the "sarcastic older guy" characters anyway.  My favorite is a tough choice between Phantasia (my first, and a classic RPG in every sense) and Vesperia (excellent main character, pretty solid combat and quests).  I didn't dislike Xillia as much as other people seemed to, but it's probably because I enjoyed the combat and customization so much. 

Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 90 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: