Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2014, 02:02:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331718 Posts in 13581 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Tales of PlayStation(s) revealed
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 104 Print
Author Topic: Tales of PlayStation(s) revealed  (Read 97905 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1065 on: February 04, 2014, 04:54:17 PM »

Yeah, it looks fucking bad like ass... but should I still go for it?
I mean, it's the only one I'm missing...

Then again, it's 40$
That's actually a descent price.

Do you like RPGs?  Do you like nostalgia?  Do you like good/amusing characters?  Do you remember the days games had puzzles in their dungeons?

LOOK NO FURTHER, FOR FORTY DOLLARS YOU GET ONE GOOD GAME IN THE HD COLLECTION
(ie; not ToS2....)

I recommend it, it's a lot of fun, and a lot of people's first RPG and old-time favorite.  It has a lot of "classic" elements too; those humble beginnings to grander adventures.  It's a perfect blend of old school and modern RPG.  Maybe check out Lets Plays though too!

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #1066 on: February 04, 2014, 05:08:47 PM »

I'd pay $40 to not have ToS2 forced upon me. (I'm not getting the HD collection :P)

Dincrest
A-class rider (in training)
RPGFan Editor

I smile when I climb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1067 on: February 04, 2014, 07:11:43 PM »

I haven't played ToS 2 but I do wonder what's worse: that or Phantasia iOS. 

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1068 on: February 04, 2014, 07:33:19 PM »

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1069 on: February 05, 2014, 03:03:07 AM »

Hey, ToS2 is a kinda fun game in the way Final Fantasy XIII-2 is a kinda fun game. Sure, the story is stupid, you're stuck with monsters and the game doesn't really need to excist in the first place, but I won't deny it entertained me. Just don't expect too much. Better yet, don't expect anything. Lose all hope. That should work.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1070 on: February 05, 2014, 10:58:03 AM »

Hey, ToS2 is a kinda fun game in the way Final Fantasy XIII-2 is a kinda fun game. Sure, the story is stupid, you're stuck with monsters and the game doesn't really need to excist in the first place, but I won't deny it entertained me. Just don't expect too much. Better yet, don't expect anything. Lose all hope. That should work.

I enjoyed it.  It was one of those Sundays where I was bored as hell...so yeah.

Also, the game has one of the strangest requirements for the perfect ending...
Code:
I think you just dodge lightning....and you can't leave the fire dungeon once you started it... A perfect future rests on these tasks!!!!!

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1071 on: February 05, 2014, 12:00:52 PM »

Posted my thoughts in here about ToS, but it seems to have disappeared. Basically I just said that after starting with the 3D battlefields, I couldn't get into the 2D ones because everything seemed so cluttered, I couldn't tell what was going on. After my first battle in Symphonia with a full party, I just gave up.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1072 on: February 05, 2014, 04:42:01 PM »

Creeping this thread and playing Vesperia made me re-think my Tales plans... I was going for the obligatory HD collection (collectors edition) at the end of the month although Symphonia was/is admittingly the least desirable for me to play. Not because it is a bad game. Quite the contrary, I loved what I remember of it. I did however play through it whilst knee deep in addiction many years ago, and did so co-op with an ex girlfriend. The whole experience is not one I care to remember....

.... And then the other day you fine folk started talking about Tales of Destiny, and Eternia.

Well last night I got the courage to cancel my HD collection pre-order (really didn't have the disposable funds anyhow) and am going to go for Tales of Destiny or Eternia instead (a little ways down the road).... Going from Vesperia (currently playing what I presume to be close to the end) right into Symphonia in two weeks seemed like A LOT of Tales to digest anyhow.

I have been meaning to get to Destiny and Eternia for years actually, but kept putting em off in the interest of new releases (a habbit I REALLY want to break). And thanks to things like Dice talking about the "magic" of the ps1 era RPG's I finally got pushed over the edge on the whole matter.

Thank you Dice (and community) for saving me 100 dollars whilst reminding me of something I REALLY want and don't just feel obligated to experience.

All that aside, upon thinking about it more and realizing Xillia 2 and eventually the new Tales game are also in the foreseeable future I think i need to include time in my gaming life for other games.... I swear, if I wanted and let myself I could strictly play just "Tales of" something until 2015.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 04:46:11 PM by Klyde Chroma » Logged

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1073 on: February 05, 2014, 04:49:44 PM »

Thanks Klyde.  I kinda wanna make a classic RPG revival/nostalgia thread right now... they had that ...jeux ne sais quoi

Eternia is my "unsuspected favorite".  The world is especially beautiful, the 2D background art makes every place look cozy and wonderful.  The battle system can be fun (magic is particularly well done, I'm sad they never did a Craymel Cage again) and there is a ton of sidequests!

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1074 on: February 05, 2014, 05:04:58 PM »

The biggest problem with Destiny is that we never got the Director Cut version...
That version looks soooooooooooooooooooooo good.
I should just import it because it looks that freaking good.

Here

jeux ne sais quoi

Either spelling error or really clever pun.
I'm sure it's the later.
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1075 on: February 05, 2014, 06:51:20 PM »

I deeply deeply wish we had gotten one of those ToD remakes.  The original Destiny is the worst Tales Of game by a long shot, and the remakes probably fix 90% of my issues with the clunky combat and lame character customization. 

Reta

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1076 on: February 05, 2014, 10:39:53 PM »

Alright, so I have both Rebirth and Innocence R backlogged... What are your thoughts on each? Which should I play first? Which has more difficult Japanese?
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1077 on: February 05, 2014, 11:44:43 PM »

Alright, so I have both Rebirth and Innocence R backlogged... What are your thoughts on each? Which should I play first? Which has more difficult Japanese?

Rebirth is....like the blacksheep of the series, but a good blacksheep!   I've only seen portions from LP's, but I do like the combat and the characters.

Innocence R is kinda "iffy" with me.  I kinda prefer what the DS did for the time than what the Vita has for ITS time (the "new battle system" in InnoR is kinda derivative too).  Still worth a go, the only objectively BAD Tales game is Tempest

Nel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1078 on: February 06, 2014, 01:16:52 PM »

You know, it's weird, but I got ToS2's perfect ending by complete accident. I thought the game ended on a really nice note, and then I went online and read that there were bad endings, I was genuinely shocked. And then I read what the requirements were, and thought it was stupid. Even if I got the best result, I could have easily messed those parts of the game up without even thinking about it.
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1079 on: February 06, 2014, 05:56:23 PM »

Man, after reading the past few pages on peoples opinions on the various games in the series they have played...I have realized I must just have really low standards..or don't really analyze the games I am playing when I do play them.  Its usually either I like it, or I don't I never really put thought into it beyond that :P.  And so far every Tales game i've played (starting with Destiny which im sure wouldnt hold up if I played it again, but which I loved back when I first played it, which was a little after FF8 came out.) I have really enjoyed.  I will say Vesperia for me was the best, I enjoyed the characters and world the most.  The other games I maybe had a few nitpicks over, but yeah lol.  I will probably be getting the HD collection simply because Ive never played either game, and ToS is considered a favorite among a few good friends of mine.  Plus I kinda wanna see what is so terrible about 2.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 104 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: