Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 09:05:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334415 Posts in 13701 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Tales of PlayStation(s) revealed
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 106 Print
Author Topic: Tales of PlayStation(s) revealed  (Read 104618 times)
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunderthumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1095 on: February 17, 2014, 07:38:42 AM »

Hopefully Bandai-Namco learns from the debacle that is Tales of Phantasia iOS and actually makes Asteria oh, I dunno, playable?  Because ToP proved to me that Tales and tablets do NOT mix.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1096 on: February 17, 2014, 08:31:56 AM »

Yeah, I can't see playing a Tales game on a tablet. Maybe it's just because I've been conditioned with buttons/keys for years and years, but I just don't do the full touch screen well enough for something like Tales of.
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1097 on: February 17, 2014, 09:10:17 PM »

Not a Playstation game, but considering we're using this as our general Tales of thread. . .

http://gematsu.com/2014/02/tales-asteria-announced-ios-android

Dat Asteria
FallenGrace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1098 on: February 19, 2014, 08:02:55 AM »

Not a Playstation game, but considering we're using this as our general Tales of thread. . .

http://gematsu.com/2014/02/tales-asteria-announced-ios-android
Ugh! While there is obviously a market for this stuff I can't stand phone and tablet games. Still with TOS collection, Xillia 2 and Zestria coming I can't complain too much XD

Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1099 on: February 19, 2014, 11:23:33 AM »

I really need to give the tales games a go. Its sad that there was a time where I could be fussy, spoiled and picky about what I play and now I'm pretty much left to scavenge for anything that at least resembles the games I liked.

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1100 on: February 21, 2014, 10:36:56 PM »

You're welcome!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 11:16:05 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1101 on: February 21, 2014, 11:07:42 PM »

I really need to give the tales games a go. Its sad that there was a time where I could be fussy, spoiled and picky about what I play and now I'm pretty much left to scavenge for anything that at least resembles the games I liked.
But then you realize there is so little time and so many games.  I've forced myself to be more picky so that I can eventually replay some favorites.

That said, yes, Tales is worth checking out.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1102 on: February 22, 2014, 06:21:01 PM »

I totally forgot how progressive Symphonia was.  Not only with it's very clear anti-racist messages, but also because Colette has two fathers.  HEYO.....  I'm being a jackass.

I love the cameo costumes (except Raines).  Mostly I'm just happy to get them out of the pretty constricting outfits they usually do wear.  ...Actually, thinking about it, as far as JRPGs go a lot of the characters are really well covered-up --- even their sex-pot character Sheena who's really only got the top half of her melons exposed.

Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1103 on: February 22, 2014, 07:21:24 PM »

Finally finished Vesperia.

That was a supremely satisfying experience for me. My only problem is that there is no Tales of Vesperia Part 2. I didn't want it to end.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunderthumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1104 on: February 22, 2014, 08:58:10 PM »

I love the cameo costumes (except Raines).  Mostly I'm just happy to get them out of the pretty constricting outfits they usually do wear.  ...Actually, thinking about it, as far as JRPGs go a lot of the characters are really well covered-up --- even their sex-pot character Sheena who's really only got the top half of her melons exposed.

The unicorn scene with Sheena is one of my favorites in the game.  Thing with Sheena is that
Code:
even though she looks sexy, she's actually the demure one.  She's obviously still a virgin since she can hang with the unicorn and gets ruffled that people think she's slutty because she's stacked.  And in Mizuho, their attitudes about relationships and all is REALLY strict and Sheena respected it.  On the other hand, seemingly demure Raine said she couldn't hang with the unicorn because "she's an adult."  That's such a sanitized way of saying she's not a virgin.  So who the hell has that half-elven tramp been banging?    

In other words, Symphonia flipped the script there and did another subtle take on the theme of not judging based on appearances.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 10:15:10 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1105 on: February 22, 2014, 09:14:58 PM »

Forgive the off-topic, but FFVII did it too,
Code:
with Tifa and Aeris.   Their personalities also fit into the other's trope, too.  Tifa's pretty demure, even if she's a bit on the
messed up side, while Aeris is blunt and playful.

I like it when games play with tropes in subtle ways like that. 
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1106 on: February 22, 2014, 10:19:42 PM »

That was a supremely satisfying experience for me. My only problem is that there is no Tales of Vesperia Part 2. I didn't want it to end.

Given the abrupt ending and the loss of a major technology by the end of game, I think a second title could actually work better than it did with Destiny and Symphonia getting sequels (their endings felt pretty "complete" by the first title anyways).  Also I feel like the plot of a world "overrun" with monsters becomes even more frightening since the technology that protected the cities is gone....  Dang.  There's sequel potential there for sure. 

Maybe we'll need the 10 year anni for Vesperia then...?  Oh man...PS4 HD UPDATES!?!?  Sorry, my thoughts jumped ship.

I love the cameo costumes (except Raines).  Mostly I'm just happy to get them out of the pretty constricting outfits they usually do wear.  ...Actually, thinking about it, as far as JRPGs go a lot of the characters are really well covered-up --- even their sex-pot character Sheena who's really only got the top half of her melons exposed.

The unicorn scene with Sheena is one of my favorites in the game.  Thing with Sheena is that
Code:
even though she looks sexy, she's actually the demure one.  She's obviously still a virgin since she can hang with the unicorn and gets ruffled that people think she's slutty because she's stacked.  And in Mizuho, their attitudes about relationships and shit is REALLY strict and Sheena respected it.On the other hand, Raine said she couldn't hang with the unicorn because "she's an adult."  Okay, so who the hell has that half-elven tramp been banging?   

In other words, Symphonia flipped the script there and did another subtle take on the theme of not judging based on appearances.
Forgive the off-topic, but FFVII did it too,
Code:
with Tifa and Aeris.   Their personalities also fit into the other's trope, too.  Tifa's pretty demure, even if she's a bit on the
messed up side, while Aeris is blunt and playful.

I like it when games play with tropes in subtle ways like that. 

I never put it as "demure" before, but I never really put two-and-two together to come to that revelation (of course, the game DID come out when I was 13/14 and still dumb about life and "love").  I especially liked the perspective about Tifa and Aeris (literally, their bodies throw us off).  I kinda liked that Tifa was more shy but honest about her feelings; Aeris was more a playful flirt about it (to the point that it was kinda silly actually: TEE-HEE I'LL PAY YOU BACK WITH A D-A-T-E! <3 shit).

And yeah, I always liked the bit with the unicorn.  The fact it meets "pure ladies" is a clever way to get some nutty party hijinks out of a legitimate scenario. 
I kinda wanna talk about this more in another context...The Sheena x Zelos dynamic in skits a lot of fun because he's crazy about her (and her body), but Sheena's surprisingly humble, shy, and reserved to reciprocate it at all.  I was actually thinking about this with respect to Bravely Defaults "skits" (or Party Chat): Since Tiz and Agnes are just....kinda boring (they're very "mission-minded" and tend to state the obvious or give the more humble response), Tales games tend to infuse even their lead or serious characters with some quirk that makes many of the skits extremely enjoyable. 

Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1107 on: February 22, 2014, 10:20:58 PM »

I felt that way about Abyss, I simply did not wanna leave those characters! I loved Vesperai but I was ready for another adventure at the end. Jade needs his own game!!!!

Everything's Eventual
Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1108 on: February 22, 2014, 10:27:54 PM »

Jade needs his own game!!!!
I'm down with this.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1109 on: February 22, 2014, 10:43:41 PM »

I felt that way about Abyss, I simply did not wanna leave those characters! I loved Vesperai but I was ready for another adventure at the end. Jade needs his own game!!!!

I kinda like how, despite basically being responsible for all of the events in the game, he wasn't the lead.

Also, I'm kinda sad Yuri was retired from the "Best Tales Hero" poll....

Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 106 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: